Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mrsq2b

I didn't like the feel of Moyglare... there are odd looking apartment block things at the front of the estate, and a lot of the houses looked like they were rented which put me off too!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MACH2013

Haven't done any Pyrite testing upfront, but we have included a structural assessment prior to closing which includes a pyrite test. To be sure to be sure. . ..
    jython98 wrote: »
    All I want to say is, please check PPR before making any offers, as you don't want to pay 20k more than your neighbors. :)

Also there seems to be some confusion over prices on PPR, as there can be VAT inclusive or exclusive, but you can work it out yourself.

We are looking around Maynooth as well, but no rush to buy in the near future, because there are too many uncertainties.

Wondering if anyone bought in castlepark has done pyrite testing? http://www.propertyhealthcheck.ie/what-is-pyrite-in-houses/pyrite-testing-ireland/ or they just trust whatever the EA/developer said. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

Have any of you looked at moyglare hall? it's further out of town, with ok build quality, but cheaper, can you tell me why you bought castlepark instead?

Like mrsq2b said I didnt like it. I am in a detached house and the detached are very squashed looking in moyglare hall, plus location is much better for me atleast in castlepark

Same as that, we looked at the detached, my wife fell in love with it iniatially, but when she saw Castlepark, that changed quickly. Personally I think Castlepark offers better value for money, in a better location for us.
    mrsq2b wrote: »
    I didn't like the feel of Moyglare... there are odd looking apartment block things at the front of the estate, and a lot of the houses looked like they were rented which put me off too!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Newgirl2012

Have any of you looked at moyglare hall? it's further out of town, with ok build quality, but cheaper, can you tell me why you bought castlepark instead?

I just got a bad feeling about it, way too far out of the town, at least a 30 min walk or more because it's so far set back from the road. I wanted somewhere that was close to the bus, its a 5 minute walk to the town. Didn't like that there is a mixture of apartments and townhouses up in Moyglare hall too. Castlepark is a much higher quality estate and the building standard is also much better. The BER rating of A3 is also a fantastic plus considering heating costs being so much higher these days.

• Advertisement

MACH2013 wrote: »
    Sorry folks, was off on hols last week.

Met with the builder on Friday.
    It takes 16 weeks to complete the house once foundations are poured, and that includes snagging etc. We are looking at getting the keys around the 3rd week in May. The complete a house roughly every month, so If you are the 8th house in Castlepark square, your looking at 8/10 months before completion.

After that, 2/3 weeks to convert the attic, depending what you want done. We are getting that done, but won't be doing a shed until next year.

As for the next phase, they have started building the 8 detached in Castlepark square. They will be releasing another 8 detached and more semi-detached shortly, in the next couple of weeks, and they have demand for those at the moment.

So all in all, demand appears to be there. We just can't wait to get in!

Mach2013 - when you say there is "demand for those at the moment" what do you mean? Do you mean interest in? As far as we were aware the EA have a mailing list with interested individuals on it but not a waiting list or anything like that.... thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jython98

djivide_ wrote: »
    Like mrsq2b said I didnt like it. I am in a detached house and the detached are very squashed looking in moyglare hall, plus location is much better for me atleast in castlepark

Thanks Lads, hahaha "squashed" :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cocobobo

cheers Mach2013 for the update, we're due to meet with the builders next week, she said they are digging out the foundations this week so hopefully we'll be in by September! We've been looking at properties all over for nearly 5 yrs now & apart from one or two that would have really pushed our budget these houses have won hands down! I have a friend who is a builder (not these guys but he did rate them highly which gave us comfort as new builds have such a bad name) & he said if we were worried about pyrite we should ask the builders for a sample of the foundations used for our house at the time they pour it, we did ask when we were paying our holding deposit if this was possible & although they did look at us like we were nuts there was no problem. to be honest i dont think we'll bother but it a comfort to know we could.

@mrsq2b

I'll explain my experience, and I believe it was similiar for the 8 houses in Castlepark Square which are the latest phase released. We contacted the EA, and we were put on a mailing list like you say. After a number of months, 10 detached houses on Castlepark Drive were released, and we were sent a mail saying that 10 houses would be released with an asking price of €380,000 or higher, with numbers 9 and 10 going for more because they had bigger gardens. Therefore a "bidding war" was created. I found out after that there was 18 interested parties going after these 10 houses. The latest 8 house phase I believe started at €395,000, and I know some went for in excess of €400,000, but the PPR will indicate this later I guess. I believe there was again a large interested party group, not sure how many though.

So there are many interested parties, and also high demand as the estate seems to be selling quickly. Does this help?

if you are interested Mrsq2b id keep in touch with the EA as when we went to view the showhouse again there was a couple there who never got the mail. the secret bidding thing for castlepark square is how Mach2013 described above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jython98

Cocobobo wrote: »
    if you are interested Mrsq2b id keep in touch with the EA as when we went to view the showhouse again there was a couple there who never got the mail. the secret bidding thing for castlepark square is how Mach2013 described above

"secret bidding", :D:D:D

It sounds familiar though, we are not having another crash, are we? :rolleyes:

Thanks folks, that makes things clearer for me so its appreciated!
    We're first time buyers and are only interested in the three bed semi detached houses and the asking price is at the top top end of our budget (it's probably beyond it). Although we got approval bank were extremely strict about the amount they'd lend and we can't afford any more!
    Do you happen to know of similar happened with the smaller houses? If so then that's us out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Yes we have 100mb broadband from UPC and it works great. UPC is wired already in the house in the living room and master bedroom you can then get them out to connect up any other points you want as the wiring is there for points in all the rooms but only connected with a box in two rooms when you get the house. Broadband working great, mobile phone network coverage is a nightmare however, must be something to do with all the trees around but you need to be right beside a window to get coverage which is a pain.

The kind of info any modern family would need. Good post.
    100 mb, << shakes head>> you'd want to try it out here in westmeath (aka the sticks).
    :rolleyes:

ive only heard of it with the detached & from the list on the property reg, it looks like the semis have stayed in and around the same price (i imagine the ones which are a few grand higher have had some internal changes done) have you tried contacting the builders directly, they might give you a better idea of what happening? fingers crossed for you mrsq2b

Same as that, the 3 bed and 4 bed semis seem to be staying around the asking price, very slight fluctuations in some of them. Still good value in my opinion, and you can always convert the loft later when when your back in the green! My advice is to stay in the face of the EA, ring him every week!They get well paid to take your call, so its no harm! Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jamontoast

The three and four bed semis are a little tight downstairs in comparison with say Parklands where the same house offers two reception rooms and large enough gardens to extend the kitchen, the four bed detached were excellent value for money when first presented at 380k, the question is, are they worth 400k plus, which really means an offer of 410 or 420, then if you want to convert the attic, another 20k on top etc etc, starting to get v expensive in an uncertain market, for eg there is a four bed detatched.house for sale in Parsons Hall,.small estate, all detatched houses, for 399k so you really have to do your homework and shop around

Spot on, but I expect everyone is taking the time to do enough looking/research to make sure its the best fit for them, it would be mad not to. No doubt there is fabulous value out there, if it suits budget, location, etc.

MH

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mason have applied to have the planning Condition 41 removed. This is the one that limits the size of the estate until an unconnected road eleswhere is built.

13229 is the planning file number for it.

great news, hopefully they'll get it, this is good news for you Mrsq2b!! cheers MYOB you are a fountain!!

Thanks for the update, hopefully things move forward soon!! Have been to see another house for a second time but half hanging on for this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 applicant

Hi myob, could you let me know where I can see the planning application? I went on the Kildare co co website and couldn't seem to find it. Thanks!!!

http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiryLIte/default.aspx and put in that number (13229). The documents aren't scanned yet and likely won't be till the middle of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

What's with the picketing people outside the estate today? Are they allowed be there???

What's with the picketing people outside the estate today? Are they allowed be there???

Protests about pyrite in a previous estate one of the developers was involved in. They were picketing his own house last weekend - which happens to be nearly opposite mine (its not in Castlepark).

I suspect they are allowed be there once they're not causing an obstruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sasha144

Just had a look at the 13329 planning doc on the Kildare website. It says that the 'due date' is 22nd May, this might be a silly question but does that mean that Mason will have a definite answer to the change in house types and the road issue by then and (hopefully) be allowed to go ahead?

If anyone has bought the four bed detatched and had the attic converted can you let me know how big the bedroom is please ? For example, is it big enough for two teenagers to share plus an ensuite ? Or would it be better utilised as one decent bedroom plus ensuite ?Any idea on cost approx for the conversion, as the EA a bit cagey about it ! Many thanks

Will be interested to see if the prices of the detached decrease due to the fact that he is building more and with repossessions etc. I agree with Jamontoasts previous post re:value. If the last lot sold for significantly more that's me out!!

Yes, am thinking that some of the previous demand may have been because of the mortgage interest relief deadline, and now that planning submitted for increase in detatched, may not be such a frenzy nxt time round, the sealed bid thing is practically unheard of these days, and it's a pity that all potential buyers wouldn't just refuse to bid in such a manner so as to make for an open bidding process where you dont end up paying 10k more than your neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cabbage patch kid

Jamontoast wrote: »
    Yes, am thinking that some of the previous demand may have been because of the mortgage interest relief deadline, and now that planning submitted for increase in detatched, may not be such a frenzy nxt time round, the sealed bid thing is practically unheard of these days, and it's a pity that all potential buyers wouldn't just refuse to bid in such a manner so as to make for an open bidding process where you dont end up paying 10k more than your neighbour

The TRS wouldn't have affected the closed bidding for the current detached being built, as it doesn't come into affect until the mortgage is drawn down, so buyers for those houses would not be availing of it as its gone. Pure supply and demand drove the price up imo.

• Advertisement

Jamontoast wrote: »

That's exactly what I thought! I suppose the houses are only worth what ppl deem them to be worth. If those interested refused to engage in a sealed bidding process then there would no such process. Especially as there are plans to build more detached houses. Anyway it will be interesting to see what happens in the next phase!

Advertisement