Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why would you not pay your property tax in newton hall ?

It was household charge exempt - unfinished estate. I'm not sure its property tax exempt though. The property tax exemptions are much stricter and the estate needs to be a lot more unfinished.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 applicant

Does anyone know if the latest phase released is completely sold/sale agreed?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭you2008

Why would you not pay your property tax in newton hall ?

Did I ever said=====> I???

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cocobobo

we were out at the weekend & the estate agent said all 18 have had bids accepted with over 40 interested parties (please nobody bite my head off just repeating what they said, have no idea whether its true or not) They also said they are now agreeing the layout of the next phase (semis v detached)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Castlepark Pros

I spoke with the EA yesterday and he also told me that all bids have been accepted and new planning permission might not be in until October.. (is this in line with what people have heard??)
    I also queried the price registered for no: 42 Castlepark as it is the most recent one added to the price register and including VAT it came to c. €312k which I thought was far too high for semi and too low for a detached but he didnt really answear my question as to what type of house number 42 was. He said that some solicitors add different amounts of stamp duty and that VAT isnt always charged at 13.5%..?? I'm a FTB and I really love these houses but would really appreciate some advice on where to start. Do you make an offer including the VAT or excluding VAT - is VAT standard at 13.5% and is there a recommended solicitor who has closed a few of these Castlepark sales ?
    As a FTB I'm only interested in the final amount its going to cost including stamp duty and VAT but what the EA said really confused things.
    Thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 MACH2013

I've been checking the property register for a while, On a number of occasions the registrar of the property (the solicitor) put in the total figure paid instead of the figure minus 13.5%.

So for the 4 beds detached your probably looking at~€275,000 in total for the property you think is €312,000. Its down to the bidding piece then after that.

Its important to note you only pay stamp duty on the proprty price less the 13.5%, not the full sale value. One exception to this is the cost of the land, which isn't subject to VAT!! Revenue.ie, Stamp Duty section has more info on that, but it saved me a nice few quid, the solicitor wanted to charge me Stamp Duty on the full whack!

Shop around for Soilicitors. Mine was good (believe it or not!), €850 plus fees, came out around ~€2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BasketBaby

MACH2013 wrote: »
    I've been checking the property register for a while, On a number of occasions the registrar of the property (the solicitor) put in the total figure paid instead of the figure minus 13.5%.

So for the 4 beds detached your probably looking at~€275,000 in total for the property you think is €312,000. Its down to the bidding piece then after that.

Its important to note you only pay stamp duty on the proprty price less the 13.5%, not the full sale value. One exception to this is the cost of the land, which isn't subject to VAT!! Revenue.ie, Stamp Duty section has more info on that, but it saved me a nice few quid, the solicitor wanted to charge me Stamp Duty on the full whack!

Shop around for Soilicitors. Mine was good (believe it or not!), €850 plus fees, came out around ~€2000

Was speaking to someone who works in the prop price reg office, the figures posted INCL vat, ie full cost, so if you pay 200k for a new house, then 200k is posted on the website register. As builders are registered for vat, they work it out on their end, it doesn't impact the buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Goldigga

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MACH2013

Was speaking to someone who works in the prop price reg office, the figures posted INCL vat, ie full cost, so if you pay 200k for a new house, then 200k is posted on the website register. As builders are registered for vat, they work it out on their end, it doesn't impact the buyer

That may be how the price is supposed to be posted on the register, but in reality this is not always true. Just have a look at the variations in figures. some of them obviously don't include the VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

BasketBaby wrote: »

The prices are not supposed to include VAT. From the website itself:
    If the property is a new property, the price shown is exclusive of VAT at 13.5%.

If this is the advice from the registration office, the mistakes on the register are hardly surprising!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mrsq2b

Yes, we had our offer accepted and in process of getting contract! After a year of waiting for a house in maynooth were delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tellmesomethin

Cocobobo wrote: »
    we were out at the weekend & the estate agent said all 18 have had bids accepted with over 40 interested parties (please nobody bite my head off just repeating what they said, have no idea whether its true or not) They also said they are now agreeing the layout of the next phase (semis v detached)

It's so exciting. I was surprised though as the EA said that some of the houses went well over the 500k and said you'd need to get in early for the next phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MACH2013

It's so exciting. I was surprised though as the EA said that some of the houses went well over the 500k and said you'd need to get in early for the next phase.

Bitterness is a terrible thing.

Good luck to you Mrsq2b, I hope you enjoy the next 12 months experience as they build your new home, whatever you paid for it!:)

Well yeah the bank gave us mortgage approval for 600k so when we had it we said wed spend it, sure why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nicosia

MACH2013 wrote: »
    Bitterness is a terrible thing.

Good luck to you Mrsq2b, I hope you enjoy the next 12 months experience as they build your new home, whatever you paid for it!:)

Do you really think it will take that long? We bought one this round too and were hoping to be in by spring??

mrsq2b wrote: »
    Well yeah the bank gave us mortgage approval for 600k so when we had it we said wed spend it, sure why not.

Lol :D

Nicosia wrote: »
    Do you really think it will take that long? We bought one this round too and were hoping to be in by spring??

It was Nov when we got our offer accepted & we hope to be in sept but the weather has been great this yr so no delays

It was Nov when we got our offer accepted & we hope to be in sept but the weather has been great this yr so no delays

How many houses were built in your phase?

How many houses were built in your phase?

8 detatched (two rows of 4) but the ones behind us are nearly in I think, the builders were pretty accurate with the times that they have us, hopefully it ll be a good winter so they ll get a run at it

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Newgirl2012

8 detatched (two rows of 4) but the ones behind us are nearly in I think, the builders were pretty accurate with the times that they have us, hopefully it ll be a good winter so they ll get a run at it

Its two rows of 5. 10 detached in total! Can see them from my sitting room window!

Lol :D

LOL is right... think we heard those stories before. In fairness i never heard it for a house in an estate with 4 to 5 inches which isn't build on though. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:P

• Advertisement

Its two rows of 5. 10 detached in total! Can see them from my sitting room window!

Oops!! Tks Newgirl! 2 extra neighbours :0)

mrsq2b wrote: »

Might not be enough, i heard one home went for just under 950K.

Now i know you could have a proper house with one of those garden things and not be crammed into a boom style estate... but sure they are A rated... how soulless can it get? Horrible. :)

Now i know you could have a proper house with one of those garden things and not be crammed into a boom style estate... but sure they are A rated... how soulless can it get? Horrible. :)

It's the housing equivalent of driving a car with good mpg but looks horrid. The whole idea of buying a house that it's primary selling point is it's energy rating is nauseating.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Newgirl2012

It's the housing equivalent of driving a car with good mpg but looks horrid. The whole idea of buying a house that it's primary selling point is it's energy rating is nauseating.

:cool:

Some people are so bitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

I think your talking through your arse tbh.... It wouldnt surprise me if you were one of those people who picket out front of the estate every now and again either!

I think your talking through your arse tbh.... It wouldnt surprise me if you were one of those people who picket out front of the estate every now and again either!

One of the few here not talking tripe.

Protests? Tell me more... is this about pyrite or general ugliness and out of place nature of the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

One of the few here not talking tripe.

Protests? Tell me more... is this about pyrite or general ugliness and out of place nature of the whole thing?

I dont see how you feel the estate is ugly? The place has been presented so well with lovely landscaping out front, the driveways also have nice flowerbeds in them, also the railings are nicely finished. Then moving on to the houses, if you havn't been in one yet, I suggest you pay a visit to the showhouse for a look. I love my house here and would not change it. The A rating is a great help, and a great sales tactic. but why wouldnt it be, thats how people want to live. How does the estate look ugly to you? I know it is clear that it is still an estate being built and loads of machinery and fences about, but thats how you build an estate! So unless you have points to back up your statement, I still think your talking through your arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kevint

I dont see how you feel the estate is ugly? The place has been presented so well with lovely landscaping out front, the driveways also have nice flowerbeds in them, also the railings are nicely finished. Then moving on to the houses, if you havn't been in one yet, I suggest you pay a visit to the showhouse for a look. I love my house here and would not change it. The A rating is a great help, and a great sales tactic. but why wouldnt it be, thats how people want to live. How does the estate look ugly to you? I know it is clear that it is still an estate being built and loads of machinery and fences about, but thats how you build an estate! So unless you have points to back up your statement, I still think your talking through your arse!

I think you are wasting your time by attempting to address any points of fact with TMS. As can be seen from the posting history of pathetic rants by TMS they clearly have an undeclared personal agenda against the builder or EA of Castlepark!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 washburn73

Hi folks -
    I've been following this thread for some time now and after reading recent posts, I've finally decided to throw my penny's worth into the mix.
    I should state firstly that I have no agenda to pursue in relation to this development but in the interests of full disclosure, I will say that I have first hand experience with the developer and the EA regarding this and other property developments in Nth Kildare & the greater Leinster region.

Castlepark is a nice development. Nice, but not particularly exclusive and with no real features that would lead one to describe this as a 'top quality' development. The best attribute of the estate is certainly its location - both in terms of its proximity to the centre of Maynooth and its relative distance from the university. It is ideally situated in my opinion.

The main drawback is the size of the individual sites - the houses are really squeezed on to their plot (and that is without a garage or garden shed - at least one of which would be standard in better quality developments). Use of space in the houses is in line with expectations - i.e. streamlined. Energy rating is very good, but I very much suspect that not all of the houses are actually A rated. I would advise recent buyers to get an independent BER assessment undertaken to validate or challenge the developer's claim.

Overall, I would rate Castlepark as a nice estate but quite overpriced. The developer is generating a significant mark-up on current prices and I know that all parties associated with development are very pleasantly surprised at the demand for the houses (particularly the detached) at the sales prices being achieved. I sense that they have struck a rich seam of a limited number of buyers who are DESPERATELY looking to purchase a family home within a manageable commuting distance from Dublin. In a normally functioning market, the detached should be listed at around €330k - €340k and I expect that they are unlikely to achieve in excess of €400k by the time this development is completed. I expect it will be finished in 36 - 42 months, following which a similar development will commence at the adjacent property (which will serve to deflate Castlepark values at that time).

So, in summary, nice houses in a good location, but quite limited (certainly when compared to European and US developments aimed at the same demographic) and overpriced by approx 20%. Unfortunate that a developer with a poor reputation has been able to take advantage of current economic conditions to exploit some middle income earners desperate to purchase their family home. But then again, each to themselves...

• Advertisement

Hmm... Having looked at a number of other properties in the area the prices in castlepark seem to be in line with the market.,eg house (3 bed) just up on daft this week in parklands for 275k that needs work. Having bid on other houses in the area I know that many are getting very close to asking price. Can't comment on the larger houses!

Advertisement