Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 washburn73

Repetto wrote: »
    Yes if anyone has more info on this I'd like to hear it also. I'm a bit sickened to hear that about Kildare CoCo bidding... Driving up the prices on the individual. Movinout, who did you get that info from? pm if you want.

I would be surprised if some of the houses in Castlepark were purchased by Kildare CoCo. However, if that is the case then it would be for social housing - and if so, then for obvious reasons, you could mark 25%+ right off the value of those houses instantaneously.

For that reason, I don't think the developer or the estate agent would be so stupid as to sell to non-owner occupiers (unless of course, they had no option...). And if they have, then they would be keeping it very hush-hush until all remaining units were sold.

It's the old adage.... Buyer Beware.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do developers not have to mark a certain % of houses for social housing as they did before ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

https://www.housing.ie/housing-information/a-property-developer.aspx
    That is possibly what they were talking about ?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Do developers not have to mark a certain % of houses for social housing as they did before ?

Moonbeam - yes, that's correct. That's what I was referring to when I stated "unless they have no option..."

The Planning and Development Act 2000/2002 enables local authorities to reserve 20% of private housing developments for social and affordable housing purposes. Some estates are exempt - not sure if Castlepark falls into that category or not.

But either way, I would not like to pay €415k+ for my new dream house only to find that I'm living next door to social housing - especially if there are teenagers or other 'high risk' elements present.

Hence why many people prefer to purchase in smaller, more mature, developments. For the €430k price that Castlepark detached are expected to be offered at, I'd see much better value elsewhere. But that's my own personal opinion (and I'm not looking to buy, merely an interested observer!).

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭you2008

20% for social house? Let c how the price move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Repetto

washburn73 wrote: »
    Moonbeam - yes, that's correct. That's what I was referring to when I stated "unless they have no option..."

The Planning and Development Act 2000/2002 enables local authorities to reserve 20% of private housing developments for social and affordable housing purposes. Some estates are exempt - not sure if Castlepark falls into that category or not.

But either way, I would not like to pay €415k+ for my new dream house only to find that I'm living next door to social housing - especially if there are teenagers or other 'high risk' elements present.

Hence why many people prefer to purchase in smaller, more mature, developments. For the €430k price that Castlepark detached are expected to be offered at, I'd see much better value elsewhere. But that's my own personal opinion (and I'm not looking to buy, merely an interested observer!).

This. Key to me is moving to a stable family environment. We're currently living in an area with a number of rentals around us, housing transient neighbours and as a young family it is not ideal at all.

However, before making any assumptions, I should also state that it is possible for developers to 'buy out' of the social housing requirement in private estates. There are numerous cases where this has been done by developers with the objective of protecting the 'exclusivity' of the estate (read: achieve higher overall sales values). I'm not sure whether or not this is the case with Castlepark - but you could always just ask the agent.

As I said in my initial post, "Castlepark is a nice development. Nice, but not particularly exclusive..." and for that reason (combined with the reputation of the developer), I probably shouldn't be surprised if they have not bought out the social housing quota. I think it likely that there probably are at least 10 units in the estate that will be given over to the CoCo for this purpose.

Depending on your politics and your personal experiences, that's either a good thing or a bad thing.

I personally know of people who've had good experiences of social housing neighbours and others who have been tormented by them. In one case, my mate had a nice elderly couple as neighbours who kept their house very well maintained, were pleasant and quiet - as good a neighbour as you could hope for.

But in the other case (in a nice modern estate - not unlike Castlepark in many respects), my friends had neighbours who basically treated their house and the entire road in and out of the estate as a personal dump. Anti-social behaviour from their teenage kids, including racing on the estate, and in one particular instance, had a horse tied to a pole on the estate green area for a day. Not very pleasant and although those tenants have since moved on and been replaced by less problematic ones, my friends are (understandably) very wary of what might happen in the future. Given the choice, they would definitely not have purchased their home there.

Simple rule, buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lullaby81

Hi,

This social housing thing sounds as a joke.

How is it possible that EA or developer is not obliged to publicly disclose an information of how many houses are planned to be sold as social houses.
    As a buyer, in many cases taking a mortgage for life, you have a right to know that!!!!
    The law itself if disgraceful in that respect, as I 100% disagree with an idea of leaving beside some scumbags who just got the house for free, whereas I need to pay my mortgage every single month…….
    Not only you can be stuck with such a neighbour, you can’t even get a heads up to decide if you really agree with it. Whose side the law is taking here……

Lulu

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oh look, the snobbery from earlier in the thread has come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

lullaby81 wrote: »
    Hi,

This social housing thing sounds as a joke.

How is it possible that EA or developer is not obliged to publicly disclose an information of how many houses are planned to be sold as social houses.
    As a buyer, in many cases taking a mortgage for life, you have a right to know that!!!!
    The law itself if disgraceful in that respect, as I 100% disagree with an idea of leaving beside some scumbags who just got the house for free, whereas I need to pay my mortgage every single month…….
    Not only you can be stuck with such a neighbour, you can’t even get a heads up to decide if you really agree with it. Whose side the law is taking here……

Lulu

Perhaps I'm wrong on this- but wouldn't any arrangement such as this have been mentioned as part of the planning application process?

I'd always recommend potential owners check the CoCo's website for planning history of the house/scheme they are buying, but also for potential developments nearby etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I remember putting down a deposit on a new build house a number of years ago, and a few weeks later receiving a letter showing the locations in the estate of the social housing. They practically ALL happened to be on the street I had bought on. One right next door and one directly across the road too. 5 total on the one road. It was a large enough estate so couldnt believe it was arranged like that. I pulled out of the sale simply because of the volume in such close proximity, the likelyhood of getting a dodgy neighbor on the street was extremely high.

One or two in an estate the size of castlepark probably wouldnt have much impact. Also do the council get a discount on the house price? I cant really see them spending top dollar for a house like castlepark when there are decent houses for half the price for sale in the area. Seems a bit of a waste of taxpayers money. You could house 2 familys for the price of one in castlepark.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cocobobo

once we got our offer accepted we asked Masons where the social housing would be & they said there wouldnt be any, maybe things have changed since though as unfortunately the need for families to be homed through social housing has shot up. I dont think the cost of the houses matters to the coco, we were renting in an newish estate where some of the houses cost over 1m & there was social housing (which was included on the plans) in that estate. The social housing didnt effect the crazy house prices there

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Newgirl2012

From what I've been told by the developers, it is not free social housing but it is affordable housing. First time buyers who are on a lower income can apply for the affordable housing scheme, they get the House at a lower price than the asking price. If they sell before 20 years they pay the council a claw back for the difference between what they paid and the market value. This means that anyone buying an affordable house owns their house and has worked as hard as anyone else buying their house. So far I am aware of one such house in the estate. Having lived in the estate for over a year there has been no issues with the family that have bought their house through the affordable scheme and I wouldn't see any reason why there would be.

Cocobobo wrote: »
    once we got our offer accepted we asked Masons where the social housing would be & they said there wouldnt be any, maybe things have changed since though as unfortunately the need for families to be homed through social housing has shot up. I dont think the cost of the houses matters to the coco, we were renting in an newish estate where some of the houses cost over 1m & there was social housing (which was included on the plans) in that estate. The social housing didnt effect the crazy house prices there

If you read condition 5 of the recently granted approval by Kildare CoCo, you will see that Mason Homes are required to allocate 20% of the Castlepark development towards social housing.

By my count, the new plan shows 126 units in Castlepark - as a broad estimate, then one would expect around 25 of them to be allocated towards social housing.

Depending on how the developer approaches this 'problem' (I don't mean to offend anyone with this term), particularly given that over half the estate is already developed/sold (although it's likely that the CoCo have already taken some of those units unbeknownst to many of the private buyers), it could mean that the remaining undeveloped section is more heavily skewed towards social housing.

If I was a potential buyer, I'd want clarification from Coonans before I put any money down. Otherwise you could find yourself having paid €430k for your dream home and that your immediate neighbours are not who you thought they were...

Personally speaking, I really don't see how these houses are getting anywhere near €430k (regardless of the superior finish), but certainly not if approx. 25 units in the estate are given to social housing rentals or affordable housing purchasers.

From what I've been told by the developers, it is not free social housing but it is affordable housing. First time buyers who are on a lower income can apply for the affordable housing scheme, they get the House at a lower price than the asking price. If they sell before 20 years they pay the council a claw back for the difference between what they paid and the market value. This means that anyone buying an affordable house owns their house and has worked as hard as anyone else buying their house. So far I am aware of one such house in the estate. Having lived in the estate for over a year there has been no issues with the family that have bought their house through the affordable scheme and I wouldn't see any reason why there would be.

Newgirl - that could well be the case, but I'm not sure how the developer can confirm that, since they have absolutely no control over how the council will use the properties.

It's likely that some will be allocated to affordable housing candidates, while others are used as social housing rental properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Skelp

All affordable housing schemes were stood down in June 2011. Did you get this information from the developer after this date?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/help_with_buying_a_home/affordable_housing.html

Skelp wrote: »
    All affordable housing schemes were stood down in June 2011. Did you get this information from the developer after this date?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/help_with_buying_a_home/affordable_housing.html

Skelp - I didn't know that.... good bit of research there!

An extract from that link:
    "Part V of the Development Acts 2000-2002 allows a local authority to require developers to set aside up to 20% of new developments of 5 or more houses for social or affordable housing. The local authority decides how much (if any) of the 20% will be social, voluntary or affordable housing - though as the affordable housing schemes have been stood down, no more housing is now being designated as affordable.

There were no rules about where affordable houses should be located in new developments. It was for the local authority to decide which homes should be designated as affordable housing, as appropriate. For example the affordable houses could have been peppered through the development/estate or grouped in pairs, in areas, etc. The proximity of these homes all depended on what the local authority approved as most appropriate for the area and most appropriate for the residents of these homes.
    "

So are you suggesting that the developer was not entirely forthcoming or honest with the purchasers? I'm sure that won't come as a great shock to some people in Leixlip and Enfield who have been unfortunate enough to have bought houses from Paddy Mooney & Co.

Ethics and morality? Doing the right thing? Do a bit of research into High Degree Construction and you'll find out all you need to know about the man behind Mason Homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭MaxPower131

So the affordable housing scheme ended in June 2011.

Castlepark was launched in autumn 2011.

According to Newgirl2012 the developer told her there would be affordable housing instead of social housing.

Something doesn't add up here:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

So the affordable housing scheme ended in June 2011.

Castlepark was launched in autumn 2011.

According to Newgirl2012 the developer told her there would be affordable housing instead of social housing.

Something doesn't add up here:rolleyes:

I'll second new girls quote on that. We were told that it would be affordable housing...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭MaxPower131

I'll second new girls quote on that. We were told that it would be affordable housing...

Never doubted Newgirl.......others on the otherhand.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 silverfield

Why anybody would put down a deposit on these over inflated houses is beyond me - It’s like walking back in time to around 2004 when the boom was in full swing, have any of you even walked around this tightly cramped estate lately? Narrow roads, properties on top of one another and postage stamp sized gardens! From an ethical point of view how anyone could line the pockets of this unscrupulous builder who still has not fixed the pyrite riddled homes he built in Enfield and beyond to me seems crazy and foolhardy. I personally wouldn’t entertain the ludicrously greedy and undignified process of a ‘bidding war’ – scandalous in this day and age. Far better properties available as a previous poster linked for the prices being asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 spidermofo

Following on to my last post about the Coonan EA bumping up the prices in Moyglare (ie. Maynooth) by 20k in a two week period of January 2014, maybe to bolster its yet to be announced Castlepark prices. I just found another Coonan January specail! A 'spacious' 3 bed, 980 sq/ft beauty... straight in at a steal of 299k on January 19th 2014! (sarcasim intended)

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=744302#

Maynooth!! ....the new Blackrock maybe!?!
    I beg to differ!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mrsq2b

Ah seriously - you'd only get a 2 bed apartment (if lucky) in Blackrock for that price. As for the other houses mentioned, one is in Finglas, the other is Laraghcon - which is a decent walk from Lucan, with little transport links.
    Why people with no interest in purchasing here are so obsessed with the asking prices is beyond me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

mrsq2b wrote: »
    Ah seriously - you'd only get a 2 bed apartment (if lucky) in Blackrock for that price. As for the other houses mentioned, one is in Finglas, the other is Laraghcon - which is a decent walk from Lucan, with little transport links.
    Why people with no interest in purchasing here are so obsessed with the asking prices is beyond me :confused:

http://touch.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=731114

Not far off, mrsq2b. I agree, Blackrock is not comparable nor are the prices in any way similar. Coonan and the developer are both trying to maximise profits. That is a given! They will assess the current market - supply is low, demand is high- and coupled with the interest they have from viewings and previous unsuccessful bidders waiting to buy they know they can get good prices for houses of that quality. As for the price, we are still hopeful of getting a house once the price doesn't go above what we personally feel will be our limit for a 3bed semi. If there are any left by the time we have our funds together. There are a lot of positives and also some negatives with Castlepark. For us, there are more positives....just hope the increase in price doesn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hp1

If you read condition 5 of the recently granted approval by Kildare CoCo, you will see that Mason Homes are required to allocate 20% of the Castlepark development towards social housing.

By my count, the new plan shows 126 units in Castlepark - as a broad estimate, then one would expect around 25 of them to be allocated towards social housing.

Depending on how the developer approaches this 'problem' (I don't mean to offend anyone with this term), particularly given that over half the estate is already developed/sold (although it's likely that the CoCo have already taken some of those units unbeknownst to many of the private buyers), it could mean that the remaining undeveloped section is more heavily skewed towards social housing.

If I was a potential buyer, I'd want clarification from Coonans before I put any money down. Otherwise you could find yourself having paid €430k for your dream home and that your immediate neighbours are not who you thought they were...

Personally speaking, I really don't see how these houses are getting anywhere near €430k (regardless of the superior finish), but certainly not if approx. 25 units in the estate are given to social housing rentals or affordable housing purchasers.

I contacted Kildare county council about social housing in castlepark and received this reply.

"Kildare County Council has not yet received its capital allocation for 2014 and are not aware of any proposals for social housing in this estate."

Hope this clears up some of the hearsay on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Big Cheese wrote: »
    http://touch.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=731114

Not far off, mrsq2b. I agree, Blackrock is not comparable nor are the prices in any way similar. Coonan and the developer are both trying to maximise profits. That is a given! They will assess the current market - supply is low, demand is high- and coupled with the interest they have from viewings and previous unsuccessful bidders waiting to buy they know they can get good prices for houses of that quality. As for the price, we are still hopeful of getting a house once the price doesn't go above what we personally feel will be our limit for a 3bed semi. If there are any left by the time we have our funds together. There are a lot of positives and also some negatives with Castlepark. For us, there are more positives....just hope the increase in price doesn't change that.

Fair play to developers, Coonan and everyone out there who can squeeze as much profits as they can from these houses. Why not? It is the buyer's decision to pay that money after all.

Do not mean to influence or criticize your decision but did you not find the 3/4 bedroom semis tiny? Only kitchen/dinning was of acceptable size. Rooms were shoe boxes. I mean you are buying a house in a "village" not in a city.

Unless you personally prefer to live in small rooms, would anyone in your circumstances not consider other areas within the same distances to Dublin than Maynooth which seems to offer bigger space for your bucks?

Very little point for a house to be A2 if you live in a 3X3 room!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭borderfox11

spidermofo wrote: »
    Following on to my last post about the Coonan EA bumping up the prices in Moyglare (ie. Maynooth) by 20k in a two week period of January 2014, maybe to bolster its yet to be announced Castlepark prices. I just found another Coonan January specail! A 'spacious' 3 bed, 980 sq/ft beauty... straight in at a steal of 299k on January 19th 2014! (sarcasim intended)

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=744302#

Maynooth!! ....the new Blackrock maybe!?!
    I beg to differ!

had a look at that place and wouldnt pay 199k for it, nevermind 299k!

I have no idea where that is even looking at the map.
    I can not wait to see how much the house in Rockfield went for.

Maynooth offers way more then most places a similar distance from Dublin City.
    The university,HP and Intel help increase demand from people not commuting to the city aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

Galego wrote: »
    Fair play to developers, Coonan and everyone out there who can squeeze as much profits as they can from these houses. Why not? It is the buyer's decision to pay that money after all.

Do not mean to influence or criticize your decision but did you not find the 3/4 bedroom semis tiny? Only kitchen/dinning was of acceptable size. Rooms were shoe boxes. I mean you are buying a house in a "village" not in a city.

Unless you personally prefer to live in small rooms, would anyone in your circumstances not consider other areas within the same distances to Dublin than Maynooth which seems to offer bigger space for your bucks?

Very little point for a house to be A2 if you live in a 3X3 room!

We have looked at several areas around including Blessington, Naas, Leixlip, Lucan, Bray among others. We didn't see anything that we liked as much. But we are still looking and are not wholly relying on Castlepark. But anyway, yeah I did feel the rooms were a bit small. It is something we will have to look at again and again I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 JellyKitten

hp1 wrote: »
    I contacted Kildare county council about social housing in castlepark and received this reply.

"Kildare County Council has not yet received its capital allocation for 2014 and are not aware of any proposals for social housing in this estate."

Hope this clears up some of the hearsay on here.

Not really! No offence HP1 but I'd imagine any prospective buyers would want take the trouble to contact the County Council and EA directly themselves for definitive confirmation one way or another :o

Advertisement