Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 washburn73

Cocobobo wrote: »
    Each phase has gone up by around 10k & people who were interested in these homes would have expected the same hike again. The reason this is causing so much upset is because there was never any indication that the price would jump up by so much, its a hike of 40k ?! It takes it to a whole other level of mortgage repayments etc. Interested parties have would have invested so much time & energy into researching & planning only to never have stood a chance! If there are new features this should have been advised at views & some indication of price given, having a "draw" in the show house I feel is also bad form, this isn't a game messing around with people's time & futures :0(

Cocobobo - you have hit the nail on the head there. Absolutely correct.

I have had some indirect dealings with both the developer (father & son) and the estate agent in the past. I know what they are like - that is, they will seek to squeeze every last penny out of potential buyers without conscience. I possibly would have expected more from Coonan but it's obvious now that he has mislead potential buyers/bidders throughout this process, knowingly or otherwise.

Having the 'draw' take place tomorrow in the show house is a typically classless act from classless individuals. I feel sorry for the people subjected to this process and I only hope that they do not push themselves into financial difficulties under duress or through desperation. It's easy for me to advise people not to take part in this type of fiasco - but I'm not the one looking for a house.

Remember, there will be other housing developments in Maynooth in the not-too-distant future. There will be an increase in supply, but it may take another 12mths or more to come through. I know this for certain, plans are already in the pipeline.

I suppose the question is, if you have your heart set on Castlepark, what price (financially & otherwise) are you prepared to pay for it? Do you really want to buy the house in the full knowledge that you have been deliberately manipulated/shafted by Mooney & Coonan? If you lost out by a few grand the last time, are you really prepared to pay €40k more now, just 5 months later?

For me, personally speaking, if I was one of the 'lucky few' who's name got pulled out of the hat tomorrow, it would be a very bittersweet moment.... more bitter than sweet.

Good luck everyone. Just make sure you know what you're doing, and who you're doing it with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JellyKitten

That's some increase! The heady days of the Celtic tiger are back!

You can see from the PPR that the most a 4 bed detached went for was 411k (the next highest was 400) so how they are jumping up over 10% (not including the attic conversions etc) is beyond me.

Good luck indeed!

@jellykitten, can you tell us if your bf was one if the ones who was outbid last time?

Yeah, he (its seems narrowly) missed out last time round but the 'fixed prices' at which this phase is being offered have put an end to any further interest. The 3 best of the detached house have already 'sold'? while 'regular folk' were waiting on the bidding/draw process... then there are apparently more 'underbidders' than houses available? Hard to know what to believe etc. TBH I'm more pished off about it than he is.. 'Onwards and upwards elsewhere'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 trevize

Nah, some of them are including VAT, some are excluding. The PPR has a few anomalies, but I can see the last one registered sold for €400k in Dec 2013.

Don't believe those with vested interests on this thread

I'd guess some posters on this thread are from Coonans.
    Their employees have been caught before "anonymously" posting online.
    The way they got caught out here was funny:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=58843&page=2&highlight=coonan

Casltepark is a very nice estate, but some newly Registered Users seem suspiciously passionate about the place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Movinout2014

Did anyone go to the "draw" this evening, how did it proceed.... Much interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Repetto

Hi all
    Was speaking to someone who knew a bidder. Apparently it was quite the show. All I know is that there were 10 couples present for the 10 detached houses. Names were put into brown envelopes, which were in turn put into a laptop bag of all things. My friend's bidder was successful, I don't know about the others. if they were all successful that's us out. Oh yes, one interesting fact: I believe that not all successful bidders present tonight had mortgage approval, as the dealings with individuals were quite public, and yet were allowed to sign their names to a house but my source was a bit confused so we'll wait and see. Feeling gutted if they're all gone but it's high time to move on now! Will Coonan senior had the honour of drawing the "lucky winners"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Curious2014

Repetto wrote: »
    Hi all
    Was speaking to someone who knew a bidder. Apparently it was quite the show. All I know is that there were 10 couples present for the 10 detached houses. Names were put into brown envelopes, which were in turn put into a laptop bag of all things. My friend's bidder was successful, I don't know about the others. if they were all successful that's us out. Oh yes, one interesting fact: I believe that not all successful bidders present tonight had mortgage approval, as the dealings with individuals were quite public, and yet were allowed to sign their names to a house but my source was a bit confused so we'll wait and see. Feeling gutted if they're all gone but it's high time to move on now! Will Coonan senior had the honour of drawing the "lucky winners"...

Thanks Repetto, that's very interesting to hear what went on today! I still can't quite believe how this whole sales process is proceeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

Seems surreal! Seems a bit degrading too, and I mean no offence to anyone who went to the draw. Such a big show indeed. Deciding your fate by drawing your name from a laptop bag. I think I've read enough about the whole lot, the developer, Coonan (link to posts by suspected Coonan employees was interesting), huge price hikes etc to safely say I would not put myself through the ordeal. They know these ppl are more than interested, they have waited a while for another opportunity to get one of these homes and then are faced with astonoshing price increase. I think we will look elsewhere.
    Hi all

Sasha144 wrote: »
    I got the email. Did you have a bid rejected in the last phase during the summer? Think they are only sending it out to those people and are holding a draw for the houses in the showhouse. They said there will be more interested buyers than houses available and you have to show up on the day to be in the draw. The new houses will have some new features like central heating pump and solar panels that power electricity apparently. Maybe that's why they think they can up the prices so much?

Sasha144, would you mind pm ing me a copy of the email too? Thanks a million!

Thanks Repetto,

Interesting about the mortgage approval as I understood that it was a prerequisite to securing a property..... Goalposts seem to be changing as far as I can see....so all the detached are gone, any word on the 3 or 4 bed semi-ds?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

Hi all

To have been one of the "maple 10" tonight, does that mean they met the asking price of 450k or above?

• Advertisement

Indeed. Was it not stated again in the email sent on Monday that MA was absolutely to be in place? Seemingly the atmosphere was dreadful throughout, very tense - not surprisingly. I'm afraid this bidder was bidding for detached, so I don't know how things went for semi-ds. I wonder will coonan's offer us the courtesy of an email to let us know the outcome? I agree big cheese, I find the process quite undignified and it's not how I like to imagine us acquiring our dream house.

To have been one of the "maple 10" tonight, does that mean they met the asking price of 450k or above?

Mileycactus yes, from what I have heard, 450k was definitely the lowest "fixed price on several of the properties.

Just wondering...as there was a fixed price of 450k for detached houses and there was 10 couples and 10 houses why was there need for a draw?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was wondering the same:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hp1

Just wondering...as there was a fixed price of 450k for detached houses and there was 10 couples and 10 houses why was there need for a draw?

I may be wrong but I'm guessing the draw was for which house they may be allocated, as corner or not etc., and that the ten bidders knew they were certainly acquiring a house while not knowing the exact number.

I don't know. My take was that your name is picked and you can choose a house that's left?? Like picking teams in school!! Could be wrong. That's all the info I have though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hp1

Sasha144, would you mind pm ing me a copy of the email too? Thanks a million!

Me too please. Thanks.

I don't know. My take was that your name is picked and you can choose a house that's left?? Like picking teams in school!! Could be wrong. That's all the info I have though.

Ah right ok. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

Sounds very fishy... 10 people 10 houses... a guarantee of getting one.... and a draw for something we dont know what..... .... something doesn't add up here....perhaps EA is trying to stir up interest..... Phantom buyers wouldn't be a new thing.... just a thought! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 spidermofo

hp1 wrote: »
    Me too please. Thanks.

Can you pass that email on if you have it thanks!

Whole ordeal makes me sick after the amount of time ive vested on this estate!

Think il be sitting on my money and taking my time instead of mad panic buying!

A holiday is in order!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

This is farcical. Some of Coonan's antics are unbelievable. From fake posters on this and previous threads to misinformation, changing the rules of engagement and making buyers go through an undignified draw process.

In my search for a new home I came across this estate in maynooth and thereby got to experience first hand the unscrupulous behaviour of Coonan and his team.

They're an embarrassment to themselves.

I had already decided that >415k was more than I was willing to pay for these but after seeing the shanighans at play I for one will make sure I never do any business with Will Coonan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Not buying but following this thread with great interest as I have a house that will need to be sold in a few years. This thread is a great mine of information and all that jazz.

One question I have is what was the 'draw' about yesterday? Makes zero sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sasha144

This was the email for anyone interested in seeing it:

Without Prejudice

Subject to Contract
    Contract Denied

Dear ?,

With reference to the above mentioned property we have been instructed by Mason Homes Ltd to sell the below mentioned homes.

The properties that are being released are as follows;

Semi-detached – 3 & 4 bedroom

Address

House Type
    Price
    Approx. Completion
    11 Castlepark Drive
    3 bedroom semi-detached
    €300,000
    Nov/Dec 2014
    12 Castlepark Drive
    3 bedroom semi-detached
    €300,000
    Nov/Dec 2014
    15 Castlepark Drive
    4 bedroom semi-detached
    €320,000
    Dec 2014/Jan 2015
    16 Castlepark Drive
    4 bedroom semi-detached
    €320,000
    Dec 2014/Jan 2015
    27 Castlepark Drive
    4 bedroom semi-detached
    €322,500
    Feb/March 2015
    28 Castlepark Drive
    4 bedroom semi-detached
    €322,500
    Feb/March 2015

Detached – 4 bedroom

Address

House Type
    Price
    Approx. Completion
    18 Castlepark Square
    4 bedroom detached
    €450,000
    Sept/Oct 2014
    19 Castlepark Square
    4 bedroom detached
    €450,000
    Sept/Oct 2014
    20 Castlepark Square
    4 bedroom detached
    €452,000
    Sept/Oct 2014
    21 Castlepark Square
    4 bedroom detached
    €457,500
    Sept/Oct 2014
    31 Castlepark Drive
    4 bedroom detached
    €450,000
    Nov/Dec 2014
    32 Castlepark Drive
    4 bedroom detached
    €450,000
    Nov/Dec 2014
    34 Castlepark Drive
    4 bedroom detached
    €450,000
    Nov/Dec 2014
    35 Castlepark Drive
    4 bedroom detached
    €450,000
    Nov/Dec 2014
    3 Castlepark Grove
    4 bedroom detached
    €450,000
    Nov/Dec 2014
    4 Castlepark Grove
    4 bedroom detached
    €455,000
    Nov/Dec 2014

The houses that are being released in this phase are being upgraded and will be assessed for the new energy rating over the next few weeks. The main upgrades are a new type of window, heat pump (for central heating) and a photovoltaic unit. These exciting new features will be explained in detail at a later date.

It is assumed all purchases will be made subject to contract and good title.

Please see the attached the site plan with new numbering which details the homes that are being released.

Mason Homes Ltd have decided that the houses will be allocated by way of a draw. Only all under bidders from previous launches still interested in acquiring a home will be included in said draw.

There will be two separate draws, one for the three & four bedroom semi-detached and one for the four bedroom detached homes.

As the names are drawn the successful party can select any of the remaining houses and the process will continue until all the houses are allocated.

Please be aware there are more disappointed under bidders than properties available. The next release will be approximately September 2014.

The draw for the semi-detached houses will take place at 4pm on Thursday 20th (at the showhouse) and 5pm for the detached houses. Interested parties will only be entered for the draw for the type of house they bid unsuccessfully for last time. Both draws will commence fifteen minutes after the appointed time above. Only parties that attend or send a representative on or before that time will be included in the draw.

In relation to finance, details of your ability to fund the purchase of the property will be required with your booking deposit should you wish to proceed on Friday, 21st February. Booking deposits will not be accepted on the day.

If you have any queries in relation to the above mentioned please do not hesitate in contacting us.

The vendor will not be obliged to accept the highest or any bid for any property. Finally and in accordance with standard practice neither this email or any correspondence to date forms part of, constitutes or creates any binding contractual agreement which must await the completion of formal legal documentation by both sides. We have no authority to bind our clients.

Yours sincerely,

REA Coonan

Property House, Main Street, Maynooth, Co. Kildare
    DD: +353 1 610 6053 T: +353 1 628 6128 F: +353 1 628 6726 E: willc@coonan.com W: www.coonan.com
    Come to London for a unique exhibition of Irish Property at the Hilton London Olympia on the 22nd of February
    With property prices in Ireland at an all-time low, and with sterling performing well against the Euro, there’s never been a better time to invest in a property in Ireland.
    View our complete property listings on www.coonan.com or www.realestatealliance.ie;

Real Estate Alliance is the Irish network of independently run property firms comprising Ireland’s highest qualified property professionals. Real Estate Alliance members give clients the attention they deserve by providing the best real estate advice both locally and nationally.
    Subject to Contract/Contract Denied. Please note that we have no authority to bind our clients and no contract shall exist or be deemed to exist until formal contracts have been executed between the parties and a full deposit paid. This document is strictly confidential and is intended for use by the addresses only unless otherwise indicated. Please advise the sender immediately if you have received this message in error and delete it from your computer. Any information you provide to Coonan Real Estate Alliance will remain confidential and may be used for the provision and administration of estate agency, mortgage products and related services. Such information may be disclosed in confidence to our associate company, Coonan Mortgage Group for these purposes. Please contact us if you do not want this information to be used for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

So am I correct in thinking that only people who got out bid last time - ie probably bid <400, are being offered to pay 450 in that draw? When will new interested parties be allowed a chance to buy? when they see how many of those 10 people dont have mortgage approval?

We are not interested anymore now. they were worth the 400 mark with 20ish of additions but not 450 + 20

I really think they have shot themselves in the foot here upping the price so much, there cant be that many people interested in living in maynooth that can afford close to half a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

300k for the 3 boxes semi-d? Wow.
    They were selling it to us for 250k eur less than a year ago and I still said no.

So am I correct in thinking that only people who got out bid last time - ie probably bid <400, are being offered to pay 450 in that draw? When will new interested parties be allowed a chance to buy? when they see how many of those 10 people dont have mortgage approval?

We are not interested anymore now. they were worth the 400 mark with 20ish of additions but not 450 + 20

I really think they have shot themselves in the foot here upping the price so much, there cant be that many people interested in living in maynooth that can afford close to half a million.

I was speaking to Coonans and looks like all interested parties outside of the underbidders from last phase will receive an email on Monday or Tuesday with details and prices. Completely agree with you, time will tell I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sasha144

I was speaking to Coonans and looks like all interested parties outside of the underbidders from last phase will receive an email on Monday or Tuesday with details and prices. Completely agree with you, time will tell I suppose!

They mustn't have had enough people turn up to their draw so even though they expected that there would be more bidders than houses available

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KearneyDrico

Spoke with a Coonan agent outside the 4 bed showhouse this afternoon, they said all the houses are now gone

Spoke with a Coonan agent outside the 4 bed showhouse this afternoon, they said all the houses are now gone

Was that just all detached or did they reference the semi-ds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 KearneyDrico

The implications of this: those that bid circa 400k in last phase (underbidders) have now decided to bid over 449k, very strange this!

Advertisement