Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 epag

Who knows what price they will be by then! Truly fed up with the lack of supply in Maynooth (See 4b in Castledawson asking & getting 389k, where similar sold for 250k last September). I've been here before & not making the same mistake again. Resigned to renting for a year or two until things ease up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bravo Oscar Bravo

Hey lads,

For anyone who's bought, who did you get your flooring from?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hp1

mrsq2b wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for someone to do a snag list in Maynooth area? PMs appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Looking for someone to do a snag now too. Any recommendations please?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 applicant

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good mortgage broker and surveyor in the area. If so please PM me. Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mrsq2b

For flooring we went with floor design off the long mile road and Tc Matthews for carpets. For a surveyor try Vincent Brady based in celbridge.

On another note, I can't believe how many cars drive into the estate each day-since we moved in there must at least 20cars a weekend day drive by the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

For flooring we went with floor design off the long mile road and Tc Matthews for carpets. For a surveyor try Vincent Brady based in celbridge.

On another note, I can't believe how many cars drive into the estate each day-since we moved in there must at least 20cars a weekend day drive by the house.

I was one of them of them yesterday :D and noticed another car in there doing the exact same as us. Hadn't heard of Castlepark before (as not looking to move - and still only considering it) and only spotted it yesterday. Saw price as being around 360k/380k. Glad I found this thread anyway! It is a lovely estate and being able to walk down to the restaurants/pubs is a big plus for me. Will still follow up my interest but will have a lot of questions after what I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stupidname2013

It's getting a little annoying!! We're at the back road and they're all having a good gaup in our window...feel we can't have our blinds up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gladiator28

Are the gardens big in the house, anyone get the attic converted and how much did it cost

Are the gardens big in the house, anyone get the attic converted and how much did it cost

Our garden is about 33ft long * 23 ft wide (semi-d), not too big to be fair but more than enough for us to deal with!

We got the attic done - €16k - €22k depending on what you get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Could anyone please tell me what company did the windows in Castlepark? Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭sockpuppets

Kirm2 wrote: »
    Could anyone please tell me what company did the windows in Castlepark? Thank you.

Munster Joinery

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gladiator28

How many houses are currently sold in castlepark, what phase are they on now

I think all built so far are sold, and someone said previously the last phase go on sale in November...maybe check with EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Curious2014

The last phase is sold out. The EA are saying the next phase is September/October this year (builder seemed to think more like November)
    There will be 13 detached and 6 semi-detached (mix of 3 & 4 bed) ready for Summer 2015.

The last phase sale prices are below so god only knows what the next phase costs!

3 Bed semi-detached - €300,000
    4 Bed semi-detached - €320,000 - €322,500
    4 bed detached - €450,000 - €457,500

The last phase is sold out. The EA are saying the next phase is September/October this year (builder seemed to think more like November)
    There will be 13 detached and 6 semi-detached (mix of 3 & 4 bed) ready for Summer 2015.

The last phase sale prices are below so god only knows what the next phase costs!

3 Bed semi-detached - €300,000
    4 Bed semi-detached - €320,000 - €322,500
    4 bed detached - €450,000 - €457,500

That's quite a leap from 4-bed semis to 4-bed detached. I haven't been inside these houses but is there really €130,000+ in the difference? And if they build 13 of the detached houses will they get that kind of money for all of them?

For me, the 4-bed semis are pretty good value unless they are truly tiny. The detached houses look fairly handsome but you'd have to ask yourself what else you could get for €450+

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jamontoast

Last year we were seriously looking to purchase the four bed detached as love the energy rating and quality build - although utility room is tiny. Today we went for a drive around the estate & so glad that we didnt enter into the ridiculous bidding war thats been going on. The houses look so squeezed together, hardly any garden space considering how expensive they are. Also no grass verges and trees outside the houses which adds to the congested feeling, hardly any green area & absolutely no privacy with your neighbour each side , it must be like living in a goldfish bowl - no thanks.

Bitter much?
    I don't think that's very fair. Each to their own.

That is a bit harsh. Totally biassed here but I love my house - 3 bed semi plus attic (originally four bed). Love the estate, love it's proximity to the town, love it's proximity to Dublin...can't go wrong from my own perspective. Are there better estates out there? Probably...but people who live there and anyone who has come to visit myself all think it's a great estate so fair enough if it's not for you but no need to be on this thread giving out if you've no interest in buying one!

Oh and have a look at the green area out the back - which is in front of my house - it's perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

To be fair entering into bidding wars and having draws for who gets houses in this day and age is a bit ridiculous.

It is a beautiful estate though IMO :)

Oh yeah totally ridiculous! But hey if the builders can get away with it, why wouldn't they! We were just lucky to get in in last August's bid...phew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Oh yeah totally ridiculous! But hey if the builders can get away with it, why wouldn't they! We were just lucky to get in in last August's bid...phew!

You were lucky so :)

We would have loved to buy there but the prices sky rocketed before we were ready to buy.

IrishAlice wrote: »
    You were lucky so :)

We would have loved to buy there but the prices sky rocketed before we were ready to buy.

Don't worry, we realise how lucky we are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dpcollin01

Hi stupidname2013, we must be neighbours- also on that road (Castlepark View) and not just saying it but it's probably the best road in the estate so far. That green is brilliant (which is a good enough reason why the back garden size doesn't bother me) and the road is going to be a cul de sac at #6 so great that no extra traffic passing by windows not to mention safer for our kids to play out there. We only hear the birds chirping in the morning- it's so peaceful. We are so lucky especially since we got the houses in the €285k bracket.
    I would like to offer my advice to anyone buying in the next phase- things like putting hotpress into attic and putting large shower tray in its place in the En suite-it is massive, love it!
    I'd get the doors left in natural wood if you're sticking wooden floors down (I wasn't aware of this option).
    Make utility room bigger by making guest toilet smaller. (I was told this couldn't be done until sale closed & at extra cost but my neighbours got it done during build) so don't accept NO for an answer.
    Same goes for attic- told it couldn't be done till after sale closed but another neighbour told them either they do it during build or they'll get someone else to do it afterwards- so Mason Homes did it!
    Go through with them where every single light switch goes- I had extra spot lights put over sink in pelmet and they put the switch in under top corner cabinet, a bit out of reach. (Figured the obvious place would be with the other kitchen light switches).
    Didn't notices some of the stuff till I closed the sale but I'll pass on any tips I have to future purchasers, after all, you are going to pay top end prices but the estate is worth it.
    Just don't let them decide anything for you. Think good and hard about functionality. Best of luck to all future purchasers! I'll b on if anyone has questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bravo Oscar Bravo

Did anyone use Masons guys for putting their floors down and how did you get on?
    Also still having trouble getting confirmation on what the development's provision for social housing is. The solicitor could only get a vague "to be confirmed" from the developers solicitor.

Matter of interest, when you buy a new house, at stage do you pay?
    One thing that puts me off buying any new house would be having to part with some or all of the money but not being able to move in for six months or whatever.

Apologies if that's a bit of a general question but I know this is an active thread and there are lots of people here who have been through this process recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

One thing that puts me off buying any new house would be having to part with some or all of the money but not being able to move in for six months or whatever.

Apologies if that's a bit of a general question but I know this is an active thread and there are lots of people here who have been through this process recently.

Loosely speaking, you pay in installments and then a final payment when you close the sale and get the keys

GavMan wrote: »
    Loosely speaking, you pay in installments and then a final payment when you close the sale and get the keys

Thanks GavMan. So when would you draw down (and start repaying) your mortgage?

We paid a €5k booking deposit initially. Then when the contracts were signed we had to pay 10% (taking account of the €5k), think that was about a month later. This was out of our own money as no bank will lend you more than 90% anyway these days. When the house was ready about 6 months later then we paid the rest (mortgage and our own money) and got our keys the same day.

Did anyone use Masons guys for putting their floors down and how did you get on?
    Also still having trouble getting confirmation on what the development's provision for social housing is. The solicitor could only get a vague "to be confirmed" from the developers solicitor.

Not sure about the social. We used Paul the site tiler...he was good but a pain to deal with...nothing good enough for him, our tiles weren't...he tried to get us to replace all our kitchen tiles but they went down fine, thank god we fought him in it. Hubby thinks he says the tiles are crap so if you think he's done a bad job, he can blame the tiles!

The rest of our house is carpet so we just got the carpet guy to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 whatshesaid

We had the same issue with the tiler, we changed the tiles in the bathroom as we weren't pushed but haven't picked out anything for kitchen yet... so indecisive!

Looks like we're neighbours too StupidName2013 (on the very back row facing the green)!

Advertisement