Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 applicant

The docs are up for the site beside Castlepark. Looks pretty much identical to Castlepark from what I can make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bravo Oscar Bravo

Looks very much along the same lines as Castlepark alright... slightly futher walk to the village but has a nice self-contained feel. Any guesses for the name... Cartonpark, Parkcastle? Have to say personally finding the developers very good to deal with for what its worth. No nonsense but very helpful within reason. I do hope people buying in the final phase can get a firm answer from the Coonan's about the plans for social housing without wanting to sound too precious about it - its all very vague. The main green area has been reseeded, the birds are having a field day, can't be any worse than it was before anyway!

I do hope people buying in the final phase can get a firm answer from the Coonan's about the plans for social housing without wanting to sound too precious about it - its all very vague.

What's wrong with social housing? Shouldn't every estate have a small number of units for social housing? The alternative are sink estates and that only makes things worse for the entire community.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Repetto

I've heard from some one close to the development that all the brickies have been laid off for the next while. The intention is to create a level of demand similar to the last round in order to increase prices. According to "my source" there won't be anything significant happening at CP "for a good while". The reason this person knows this information is because he is now working with said brickies. Thank goodness there are other developments in the offing for maynooth in the near future (hopefully!).

Maybe they've been reading this thread :o

• Advertisement

Oh I've no doubt they are well up to speed on it,I know the auctioneer in question knew everything about this thread just prior to the last (non) launch.

What's wrong with social housing? Shouldn't every estate have a small number of units for social housing? The alternative are sink estates and that only makes things worse for the entire community.

You absolutely right of course but from a completely selfish point of view the greater the proportion of social housing in this or any estate, the lower the resale value of the other houses. I grew up on a council estate myself, its not personal, just business as they say.

You absolutely right of course but from a completely selfish point of view the greater the proportion of social housing in this or any estate, the lower the resale value of the other houses. I grew up on a council estate myself, its not personal, just business as they say.

Fair enough - when are you reselling? :)

Not for a long time hopefully :) As every good EA would say, of course you'll be the first we contact!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hopetobuysoon

Hi guys,
    Have read the whole thread and just joined Boards.ie! My wife and I are looking to buy in Maynooth and we've been impressed with Castlepark. Does anyone know when the next part is to undergo construction! The EA are not giving away much at all, (the demand seems high and they are going to email us but that's as far as they went). To any of the current residents I'm just wondering if there any structural issues.

Going by previous threads about the prices we will probably be out priced at this rate but said I'd ask anyhow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 mrsq2b

Hi guys,
    Have read the whole thread and just joined Boards.ie! My wife and I are looking to buy in Maynooth and we've been impressed with Castlepark. Does anyone know when the next part is to undergo construction! The EA are not giving away much at all, (the demand seems high and they are going to email us but that's as far as they went). To any of the current residents I'm just wondering if there any structural issues.

Going by previous threads about the prices we will probably be out priced at this rate but said I'd ask anyhow!

We've had no structural issues and are really happy with our house-best of luck!! Hopefully with all the new houses coming on stream things will be better for you.

Thanks for that. Fingers crossed, looks like a really nice place to live!

Scene: The STUNNING offices of an estate agent in a SUPERB south-west facing town in Leinster with MASSIVE POTENTIAL

Agent 1: What asking price will we put on this dormer behind that old shopping centre? I say we push it to 400k? 425k?
    Agent 2: A cool half a mill.
    Agent 1: You cannot be serious.
    Agent 2: I can.
    Agent 1: Okaaayy...well whaddabowsh this bungalow on the edge of town. Far away but has land. Half a mill as well?
    Agent 2: €650,000 European Currency Units!
    Agent 1: Riiight...and this 3-bed in Silken Vale with no garden?
    Agent 2: 450k - it has an expensive name, if nothing else.
    All: laughter [phone rings]
    Agent 1: It's the branch in the next town over. They've a place in a nice estate 2k from the village. NW facing but has an extension. Can I do this one?
    Agent 2: Go on. Give it a go. Think of a REALLY big number.
    Agent 1: €600,000!
    Agent 2: Very good. Now add another 25k just for good measure (even though this one couldn't sell for 475k so they dropped the price and this one in the same estate is on at 535k).
    Agent 1: This is brilliant fun but even with the current excitement nobody is paying this kind of money. The cash buyers no longer see value and the banks are not giving people 500k unless they are hospital consultants.
    Agent 2: You have to see the bigger picture. It's not about these houses, it's about those houses [points to CastleSnark poster on the wall]
    Agent 1: Ohhh, I geddit. So when we set a crazy price for the final batch of CastleSnark houses, people will freak out, go to MyHome to see what else they can get for half a mill and reason that the price is not totally mad when see what else is out there?
    Agent 2: Bingo.
    Agent 1: But what about the non-CastleSnark houses? They're not going to sell at those prices? Are we not using those houses as pawns to manipulate the mark..
    Agent 2: LET ME STOP YOU THERE! Those houses will sell at some price. Maybe this month, maybe next year. Maybe for much less. But by the time they appear on the Property Price Register, we'll have deposits for CastleSnark in the bank.
    Agent 1: So we're kinda of pumping up prices and then dumping hous...
    Agent 2: AGAIN, allow me to interject. Everyone with a vested interest is trying to influence the market. Right now there's probably some whiny house-hunter on a forum somewhere trying to make people think that a dormer beside a petrol station 20 miles from the capital is not worth half a million squids. We're all at it.
    Agent 1: We should go on forums and put our side of the story. I have an internet over there on my desk.
    Agent 2: [mutters something inaudible]
    Agent 1: One thing. What if someone cops that all the houses in this town with over-the-top asking prices are being sold by the same agent?
    Agent 2: Pfff... unlikely, agent 1, unlikely. Anyway, doesn't matter if nothing sells in September. We'll shift CastleSnark in October/November, and sell the rest after that. As long as we have a nice peak in prices for the autumn we'll be laughing all the way to the Linden Tree
    All: laughter
    ENDS

Pretty aggrieved there are ya? You could have just said in your own opinion they're over priced!

Pretty aggrieved there are ya? You could have just said in your own opinion they're over priced!

Ah c'mon that'd be much less fun :D
    Blame it on Friday afternoon...

It's not (just) that I think the houses listed are overpriced or that the Castlepark houses will probably be overpriced, it's that the game (in my opinion) is rigged.

I think the trend of overpricing houses from this agent - compared to others on the market - is designed to accommodate OTT asking prices for the new development. If that's the case, you could be a victim of it. So could people trying to sell other houses.

I'm no longer interested in that side of the town for traffic reasons but I don't blame anyone who is - there's a lot to be said for those houses (esp. the energy rating).

My interest is in the wider market which I think is distorted by efforts to 'manage' it. I'd like to buy a house asap but feel like everything is on hold until the market gets this development out of its system.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mrsq2b

Ah c'mon that'd be much less fun :D
    Blame it on Friday afternoon...

It's not (just) that I think the houses listed are overpriced or that the Castlepark houses will probably be overpriced, it's that the game (in my opinion) is rigged.

I think the trend of overpricing houses from this agent - compared to others on the market - is designed to accommodate OTT asking prices for the new development. If that's the case, you could be a victim of it. So could people trying to sell other houses.

I'm no longer interested in that side of the town for traffic reasons but I don't blame anyone who is - there's a lot to be said for those houses (esp. the energy rating).

My interest is in the wider market which I think is distorted by efforts to 'manage' it. I'd like to buy a house asap but feel like everything is on hold until the market gets this development out of its system.

I think this is totally correct. When the last phase of castlepark went on sale there was a semi-d house on dillons row that had what I remember thinking had a very high asking price and I'm pretty sure that dropped after castlepark houses had sold (same EA).
    In terms of traffic though I much prefer living this side of town (used to live off straffan road-that was a nightmare to get out on to or into town), I skip up doctors lane to avoid town traffic/go around the bypass to get to tesco/take a back road that brings me out at moylare to get me to schools/dunnes etc at peak times - I find it very handy (just if this is a factor for some people),

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Traffic is ok there now but, if they get planning for the two developments on that road, it will be pretty heavy.

Market sentiment is in the suppliers favor at the moment, engineered or not. That can't shift pretty quickly and beyond their control. Trying to corner a market rarely works.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Our garden is about 33ft long * 23 ft wide (semi-d), not too big to be fair but more than enough for us to deal with!

We got the attic done - €16k - €22k depending on what you get done.

Seriously? Did you get Mason Homes to do it? We were considering it but Aisling quoted us 25k last week whereby last year we swore we had heard 15k. We just want the stairs continued and the floor laid down but were told we need to fireproof everywhere. We decided against it and will do it at a later stage.

Does anyone know if you can move the 'attic stairs' from the en suite to the hall? Not keen on the current position.

I drove down to Moyglare Hall & Newtown Hall today. Both estates have restarted construction on their next phase. I would say there's easily 30 houses in an advanced stage at Moyglare Hall with approx 10 at Newtown plus foundations laid on other. I didn't get up by Griffith Rath.

This has been kept relatively quiet imho. There is a very short term supply issue of mid/family sized homes in Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

ixus wrote: »
    I drove down to Moyglare Hall & Newtown Hall today. Both estates have restarted construction on their next phase. I would say there's easily 30 houses in an advanced stage at Moyglare Hall with approx 10 at Newtown plus foundations laid on other. I didn't get up by Griffith Rath.

This has been kept relatively quiet imho. There is a very short term supply issue of mid/family sized homes in Maynooth.

The majority of the houses in Moyglare have been sold already - they were selling from the plans back in May of this year.

Newtown Hall isn't launching until November but having spoken with the estate agent it sounds like the ballpark price will be close to 300k and the houses will be A energy rating.

It's good to see the estates being finished finally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

It should probably be pointed out that by law all new builds must be A rated so its not really a major selling point anymore.

I've been on the phone to Coonan about Griffin Rath Manor. There's a lot of houses up there to the left as you go into the estate that are unfinished and construction seems to have halted - at least it had up until the last time I was up there (mid-September), but he is adamant all those houses have already been sold and he even told me there was no waiting list - must be very sure of his punters!! If I owned one of those I'd be demanding to know why work had ceased on my house. Anyway, wishful thinking! Anyone got any info on any detached coming down the line in the foreseeable? Excluding the "new" Castlepark, as I don't reckon we'll be seeing those for a few years.

Funny how all these unfinished estates are all sold with little advertising. I would posit that they were in NAMA and bought in blocks by investors (as you see in the media). I don't know anyone from the area who has purchased one of these.

Also, keep in mind the "investor" incentives are gone by the end of the year (purchase and hold for seven years = CGT exempt). This has been at least 50% of the market over the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They weren't in NAMA - they only had commercial property (and some totally undeveloped sites) in Maynooth. Other bank receiverships maybe.

Carton Estate was, not just the hotel, but some of the houses & building sites. Do you recall the short lived help to buy scheme (name escapes me Edit: 80:20 scheme) where you could purchase and if X% of the house lost it's value in five years, you wouldn't have to repay that %. I remember looking at the brochure online with those houses on it.

Am sure I could find out the story if I dug hard enough but not that important to me. It was just a thought with regards to block sales of assets.

ixus wrote: »
    Funny how all these unfinished estates are all sold with little advertising. I would posit that they were in NAMA and bought in blocks by investors (as you see in the media). I don't know anyone from the area who has purchased one of these.

Also, keep in mind the "investor" incentives are gone by the end of the year (purchase and hold for seven years = CGT exempt). This has been at least 50% of the market over the last two years.

Heard today that most of the final phase of Castlepark has been sold by the builder. Second hand info though so not sure whether it's true.

Anyone have numbers from the agent? Last I had heard was there would be around 21 houses this autumn but apparently it won't be as many as that.

Heard today that most of the final phase of Castlepark has been sold by the builder. Second hand info though so not sure whether it's true.

Anyone have numbers from the agent? Last I had heard was there would be around 21 houses this autumn but apparently it won't be as many as that.

In other news...the Central Bank's new rule that almost all mortgages should be no more than 80% of the value of the house and be a max of 3.5 x your income must have an impact on high-value houses in Maynooth and elsewhere.

Last phase of Castlepark had the detached houses at 450k. Say they up the asking to 480k for the final phase, you'd need close to 100k cash and a salary of more than 100k to get a mortgage.

Some people have that - but how many? Says here that 14% of households earn above 100k per year.

I posted a few houses here a couple of weeks ago which are on sale in Maynooth (and Celbridge) right now asking 450k-600k. I'm not looking to buy a house at that price - I just can't fathom who is!

I don't think it can be argued that the houses asking 500k in Maynooth are the top 14% of houses in Maynooth and will be bought be the top 14% of earners. Typical top earners are more likely to be the ones buying in swanky parts of south Dublin (in general) as they (typically) work in Dublin. Yes, they could spend half a mill in Kildare if they want but are there really scores of people doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 UsainBolt100

Just wondering does anyone who is providing the best broadband service in Castlepark? In know all the houses are wired for UPC with is there alternatives?

Thanks in advance for any help

Just wondering does anyone know who is providing the best broadband service in Castlepark? In know all the houses are wired for UPC with is there alternatives?

• Advertisement

Just wondering does anyone know who is providing the best broadband service in Castlepark? I know all the houses are wired for UPC but just wondering if there is any better alternatives?

Advertisement