Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Demand greatly exceeds supply in Maynooth esp for bigger houses and away from students.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 washburn73

Some of the current prices are a bit much for my taste as well. A 3-bed in Rockfield went for 260k at one point about 15 months ago. Now there's one asking 375k. You could have picked up something in Carton Court for 200k but would now have to spend 280+.

Not saying those bottom-of-the-bust prices are set to return but there's something unreal about the current mini-bubble in Maynooth. We're going to hold on and see what happens but would hope that if there's an adjustment that it doesn't take too long.

Reading this forum is an interesting experiment in human behaviour. Half of those on here talk up the market because they have purchased in Castlepark and they dearly want to know that they have done the right thing. The other half try to comfort themselves that the market will slide back in 2015 thanks to the CBI proposals because they are looking to buy.

The truth is, no one knows. But Honohan is playing a dangerous game, trying to control a market through a very blunt, singular instrument without taking a holistic approach to the whole housing 'problem' in this country. He could find himself having initiated a series of unintended consequences that will hurt both prospective purchasers, developers and the Banks (and by extension, the Irish taxpayer).

If buyers can't get the credit, then they won't be able to generate the funding required to purchase their desired property. If demand falls (driven by an 'artificial' restriction in lending) then supply will also retract, since developers will delay construction for fear of a lack of (primarily) first time buyers. Supply will slow and there will be further upward pressure on the fewer properties for sale in certain segments of the market.

This scenario is set up in favour of one party - professional landlords. They will see rental incomes continue to increase and a greater yield from well located investment properties - do not forget that there are still a large number of cash buyers around and they will continue to snap up available housing in high demand areas (of which Maynooth is one) as an attractive investment strategy.

As for Castlepark... they may be overpriced, but I believe they will sell at closer to €500k than €450k.

There is no guarantee of a sufficient increase in supply driven by new construction in 2015 if there is not a correspondingly high degree of certainty that the current level of house prices can be achieved in the future. After all, why do you think the last 6 months has seen the sudden increase in planning applications after a drought of 6 years? And how much 'interference' will it take from the CBI to send those supply side forces back into reverse?

Sentiment and confidence affects supply as much as it does demand. Be careful what you wish for!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bravo Oscar Bravo

Our house from the last phase is getting finished at the moment. Dealings with the EA were beyond awful, which I'll be making sure to mention to anyone I ever talk to, with Mason Homes were almost always excellent. The quality of work from the lads on site is at the top end. Price was fairly eye watering alright, but A3 rating vs C1 for example saves about 1300 per annum or 39k over life of 30 yr mortgage which gives some measure of consolation I suppose.

Our house from the last phase is getting finished at the moment. Dealings with the EA were beyond awful, which I'll be making sure to mention to anyone I ever talk to, with Mason Homes were almost always excellent. The quality of work from the lads on site is at the top end. Price was fairly eye watering alright, but A3 rating vs C1 for example saves about 1300 per annum or 39k over life of 30 yr mortgage which gives some measure of consolation I suppose.

Many people - including some close friends of mine who were interested in this development towards the end of 2013 - would share your opinion on the EA. He doesn't do much to help the reputation of that particular occupation! Although there are others in the town (on the same street) who are much nicer to deal with, both personally and professionally.

As for the builder.... I'm glad you are happy with them but I can honestly say that I have very little respect for them based on how they have left other buyers in pyrite estates out to dry - so much so that the institution in which I'm employed has chosen not to deal to with the key equity holders in that company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

washburn73 wrote: »
    Reading this forum is an interesting experiment in human behaviour.......

The truth is, no one knows. But Honohan is playing a dangerous game, trying to control a market through a very blunt, singular instrument without taking a holistic approach to the whole housing 'problem' in this country. He could find himself having initiated a series of unintended consequences that will hurt both prospective purchasers, developers and the Banks (and by extension, the Irish taxpayer)......

You're right, it is fascinating. Behavioural Finance 101 stuff.

I have to pull you up on this. CB is doing the correct thing here. It is for the good of banks and, ultimately the tax payer.

In respect to market manipulation; surely you can't be oblivious to the governments role in this. They enabled the crash with tax relief incentives to build all over the country and a scatter gun approach to planning.

Also, the current supply issues are driven by three main aspects. NAMA, lack of credit for construction and the government. The government are taking high rates of DIRT on savings while operating an exemption on CGT if you buy and hold for seven years. This has driven the cash hoards from 2011-present into the market. It is due to end at the end of the year.

In the last four quarter's, there has been approx 8bln worth of property purchases (data from 4 weeks ago so not up to date). Approx 4 bln of this is through mortgages issued. The wall of cash entering the market will reduce significantly post Dec.

In respect to professional landlords. Why is this a bad thing? I think we actually need more of them as opposed to the BTL person who has little or no comprehension on how to run their affairs or manage a business. We're moving that way anyway with NAMA's block sale of assets.

Wouldn't it be better to move towards a German model whereby renting was a more pleasant experience because you were dealing with professional outfits. The government would then be better able to regulate the market in favour of the renter. It would likely reduce the hysteria that Irish people engage in about owning their own home. Rent and be free as opposed to being a slave to a mortgage.

To sum up. I feel very strongly that it is the governments meddling in the markets that has caused the issues over the last 14 years or so as opposed to the Central Banks current movements. You need to take your holistic view and look at that too.

• Advertisement

Reading this forum is an interesting experiment in human behaviour. Half of those on here talk up the market because they have purchased in Castlepark and they dearly want to know that they have done the right thing. The other half try to comfort themselves that the market will slide back in 2015 thanks to the CBI proposals because they are looking to buy.

The truth is, no one knows. But Honohan is playing a dangerous game, trying to control a market through a very blunt, singular instrument without taking a holistic approach to the whole housing 'problem' in this country.

Ixus saved me the time replying in detail. I would only add that the regulator is only doing what a regulator can do. The Central Bank can't take a 'holistic approach' to housing policy. It just makes sure the banks are not exposed in the way they were last time around.

You are quite right about this thread though! :rolleyes: I have a morbid fascination with it at this stage.

It's mostly true that those those who have bought will justify their decision and those who haven't predict/hope things calm down next year. 'Tis called regret aversion bias, as you probably know.

Care to declare your own position in any more detail?

Or is it '50% talking up the market; 50% talking it down; and one guy who sees it all' :D

This will have a major affect on the market. Rush into end of year followed by potential slump with no cash buyers and restricted home purchasers.
    He will remove the Capital Gains Tax relief by end of 2014 on purchase of property – it’s “no longer needed”, he says.

The CGT of 33% rate will now apply to property market.

&
    First-time buyers get a refund on DIRT on savings used to purchase homes (up to 20%) up until the end of 2017. This comes in TONIGHT

ixus wrote: »
    You're right, it is fascinating. Behavioural Finance 101 stuff.

I have to pull you up on this. CB is doing the correct thing here. It is for the good of banks and, ultimately the tax payer.

Respectfully disagree with that. The banks need to witness an increase in the value of assets on their balance sheet. The single largest category of such assets being Irish real estate. We need healthy banks, with healthy balance sheets, which will encourage lending across all sectors of industry (not just mortgage lending).

Honohan's actions would be warranted if evidence existed of a significant relaxation in mortgage underwriting criteria. That is not the case. The recent upward movement in house prices in some areas of the country is purely a supply-side problem. This can not be fixed by a blunt action to further restrict access to credit.
    Also, the current supply issues are driven by three main aspects. NAMA, lack of credit for construction and the government. The government are taking high rates of DIRT on savings while operating an exemption on CGT if you buy and hold for seven years. This has driven the cash hoards from 2011-present into the market. It is due to end at the end of the year.

Partially agree. But again, Honohan's actions are flawed because the CBI have not taken a holistic approach to the housing 'problem'.

These proposals will not improve credit lines to developers. Nor will they encourage those developers with funding to build (given that many first time buyers will be not be able to satisfy the minimum deposit requirements). Nor will it encourage second-hand home owners to sell.

The CBI proposals will force potential buyers back into the rental market. Rental charges will increase as demand continues to outstrip supply (again, only in specific areas such as Dublin and 'attractive' commuter towns). Rental yields will increase and house prices will follow. However, those houses will only be within the reach of 'professional landlords' or a prospective home owners with funding. As less houses become available, then wannabe home owners will be more anxious to purchase, with the resulting increase in prices (this has already happened in the earlier Castlepark releases).

This will eventually push rental yields lower - but that is a cyclical phenomenon - and they will eventually increase, if rents continue their upward trend, unless more affordable housing is introduced to the market.
    In the last four quarter's, there has been approx 8bln worth of property purchases (data from 4 weeks ago so not up to date). Approx 4 bln of this is through mortgages issued. The wall of cash entering the market will reduce significantly post Dec.

Why? Cash buyers will look on housing as providing a better return than many other investments (e.g. rental yields of 5%+ vs. minimal RoI on bank savings). There is still a lot of cash out there. Bricks and mortar will remain attractive in light of the lack of other alternatives and the fact that rental charges will continue to increase if prospective house buyers are forced out of the market due to the stricter lending criteria imposed by the CBI.
    In respect to professional landlords. Why is this a bad thing? I think we actually need more of them as opposed to the BTL person who has little or no comprehension on how to run their affairs or manage a business. We're moving that way anyway with NAMA's block sale of assets.

Wouldn't it be better to move towards a German model whereby renting was a more pleasant experience because you were dealing with professional outfits. The government would then be better able to regulate the market in favour of the renter. It would likely reduce the hysteria that Irish people engage in about owning their own home. Rent and be free as opposed to being a slave to a mortgage.

In a perfect society - yes, you are correct. Unfortunately, experience has taught me to be more skeptical!

Again, I come back to the lack of a holistic approach by the CBI and central government. There are no rental caps in this market. Tenants will continue to be squeezed as landlords seek to recoup losses incurred between 2008 and 2012. Rents will increase. There is very limited protection in place for tenants.

And there is no incentive to improve supply side dynamics. Builders won't build if they don't think that they can get an economical price for the finished product. They won't get the price because the buyers won't have access to the funds.

I'm afraid that I don't see how these new measures in isolation will improve any element of the current housing problem - and as I said, the only ones to benefit in the short-medium term will be landlords.

Ixus saved me the time replying in detail. I would only add that the regulator is only doing what a regulator can do. The Central Bank can't take a 'holistic approach' to housing policy. It just makes sure the banks are not exposed in the way they were last time around.

You are quite right about this thread though! :rolleyes: I have a morbid fascination with it at this stage.

It's mostly true that those those who have bought will justify their decision and those who haven't predict/hope things calm down next year. 'Tis called regret aversion bias, as you probably know.

Care to declare your own position in any more detail?

Or is it '50% talking up the market; 50% talking it down; and one guy who sees it all' :D

Haha... yes, of course this is just my opinion. I have no vested interests in Castlepark. However I work in financial services and have one property in Maynooth and another in Dublin which is rented. So, I guess my opinion means as much or as little as anyone else's!!

Look, I see your argument - but I would say that I think it is dangerous and irresponsible for Honahan and his colleagues in their (slightly tarnished) ivory tower on Dame Street to suddenly decide to kick into action on mortgage lending at this time.

So they decided that they couldn't interfere with the bondholders?
    Or that they couldn't force the banks to deal with the arrears issue on their own balance sheets?
    Or they couldn't make the banks adopt a proactive approach to personal insolvency?
    Or the couldn't put a mechanism in place to protect variable rate mortgage holders against further rate increases being passed on by their lending institutions?

But now all of a sudden - and with minimal consultation, and in a very short timeframe - they are going to impose restrictive criteria on house lending. And what about people who maybe have mortgage approval in place but haven't drawn it down? Are they back to square one again? The whole things smacks of incompetency by a bunch of academics who know only what they read in text books because in reality, they know as much, or as little, as the man on the street.

Most rational people do not want to take on a mountain of debt. They do not want to default on loans which they can not afford. Most rational people in this country want to purchase and live in their own home. Most people want to see the value of their house increase - not dramatically, but in a sustainable and incremental manner over the medium-long term. Most people want a stable, healthy housing market - for themselves, their kids, their family and friends.

That is a good thing.

The measures proposed by the CBI will not help achieve that healthy housing market. They will restrict lending and reduce the number of potential buyers (even though the underlying demand - i.e. the amount of people who will want to buy - will increase). This will reduce incentives for developers to build new houses - and those that do will build them to demand, and release them in phases (e.g. just like what's happened with Castlepark). Rents will increase - and they'll continue to grow until there is a root-and-branch reform of the rental market and a proper initiative to bring new supply to the market. I can't see either of those things happening in the short term.

I agree with a fair bit of that (not all of it, of course - that would be boring) especially on dealing with arrears and partially on cash buyers.

One reason I don't expect big falls in prices is that as soon as they dip a bit, it becomes more attractive to cash buyers who, as you say, are getting nothing by leaving money on deposit. And if they are currently renting it makes as much sense to buy now as ever.

But while cash buyers might buy houses to live in, Ixus' point about CGT has to be taken into account. It is about to become less attractive to buy-to-let, unless you plan to hold on to it more or less forever (i.e. not extract a capital gain on which you'll be heavily taxed).

I genuinely have no clue what it all means for supply of second-hand houses or construction. Does anyone?!

When prices were rising, it was said that sellers would hold off putting their houses on the market because they could expect better prices next year. Now people say sellers will sit tight in a falling market. I've no idea which is true.

As for the argument about build costs, which Nama made several weeks ago, it's hard to see how anything would be built anywhere if selling prices in Dublin/Maynooth are not enough to make it worthwhile.

----

Sorry Castleparkers, any more news from viewings etc? When is the laptop-bag lottery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Most rational people do not want to take on a mountain of debt. They do not want to default on loans which they can not afford. Most rational people in this country want to purchase and live in their own home. Most people want to see the value of their house increase - not dramatically, but in a sustainable and incremental manner over the medium-long term. Most people want a stable, healthy housing market - for themselves, their kids, their family and friends.

I think during the last bubble we learned that borrowers and banks are not to be trusted in deciding how much should be borrowed. We need to ensure that it does not happen again. If a new entrant comes into the market and decides they want to start lending 100%, the other banks may feel compelled to follow. If we had sensible rules like this the last time we would not be in the mess we are in now. If the rules are implemented it will be a positive thing for the purdent borrowers who dilligently save a large deposit over a number of years. They will have less competition from those who would borrow the most possible. I think overall the rest of the population needs to be protected from people who would load up on credit if it is available.
    House prices should broadly follow inflation and government policies should be directed towards ensuring a supply of affordable housing.

Declared interest: I bought last summer. I would rather that house prices were not rising. I intend to remain in the house and not sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maynoothres

Does anyone know what is included in the 4 bed semi's?

-Kitchen
    -White Goods
    -Bathroom fittings
    -Tiling
    etc.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

just got the email from coonans

4 bedroom semi-detached from €360,000 (8 available)
    4 bedroom detached from €490,000 (9 available)

We are delighted to announce that we we have been instructed by Mason Homes Ltd to put the subject properties to “best and final bids” by Friday, 24th October 2014 at 5pm. It is assumed all offers will be made subject to contract and good title. All bids should be in excess of the figures indicated below. We have also attached a site plan for your reference (download site plan).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ColinMc

The detached houses here are very expensive. A quick look on the property price register shows that the last batch sold for circa €450k.

A big jump up to €490 - €495k. Coonan Estates obviously looking to get as much as possible before the central bank rules come in January 2015.

Wonder if its a good idea to wait until January - you might get the houses for cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ColinMc

The detached houses here are very expensive. A quick look on the property price register shows that the last batch sold for circa €450k. They only sold at the beginning of this year.

A big jump up to €490 - €495k. Coonan Estates obviously looking to get as much as possible before the central bank rules come in January 2015.

Wonder if its a good idea to wait until January - you might get the houses for cheaper?

That'll be the top of the market for a while. Irish people ignore the potential for an external shock to bring the whole thing down. Markets are quite turbulent right now.

Those are minimum prices rather than asking prices. Prices of detached are up about 30% on the first phase as far as I can see (were 380k).

I wonder will they ask people to prove they have 20% deposit and are borrowing no more than 3.5 x income. Those are the conditions that will apply when it comes to pay for the house next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 trevize

ColinMc wrote: »
    The detached houses here are very expensive. A quick look on the property price register shows that the last batch sold for circa €450k. They only sold at the beginning of this year.

Yes, it's pretty clear they're trying to close sales before the new Central Bank rules take effect.
    But I'll still put a bid in. If it's too low, I'll just try in the next phase (maybe at a lower price.)
    All that said, my bid will be much closer to 450k than 490k.
    :)

trevize wrote: »
    Yes, it's pretty clear they're trying to close sales before the new Central Bank rules take effect.
    But I'll still put a bid in. If it's too low, I'll just try in the next phase (maybe at a lower price.)
    All that said, my bid will be much closer to 450k than 490k.
    :)

Is there another phase after this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Email says FINAL PHASE

Castlepark - Final Phase Release

Final Phase - Castlepark, Maynooth, Co. Kildare.

Dear Enquirer,

We are delighted to announce that we we have been instructed by Mason Homes Ltd to put the subject properties to “best and final bids” by Friday, 24th October 2014 at 5pm. It is assumed all offers will be made subject to contract and good title. All bids should be in excess of the figures indicated below. We have also attached a site plan for your reference (download site plan).

Semi-detached – 4 bedroom only

Address
    House Type Price
    19 Castlepark Drive 4 bedroom semi-detached €360,000
    20 Castlepark Drive 4 bedroom semi-detached €360,000
    21 Castlepark Drive 4 bedroom semi-detached €360,000
    22 Castlepark Drive 4 bedroom semi-detached €360,000
    23 Castlepark Drive 4 bedroom semi-detached €365,000
    24 Castlepark Drive 4 bedroom semi-detached €365,000
    25 Castlepark Drive 4 bedroom semi-detached €365,000
    26 Castlepark Drive 4 bedroom semi-detached €365,000
    Detached – 4 bedroom

Address
    House Type Price
    5 Castlepark Grove 4 bedroom detached €490,000
    6 Castlepark Grove 4 bedroom detached €492,500
    7 Castlepark Grove 4 bedroom detached €495,000
    8 Castlepark Grove 4 bedroom detached €495,000
    9 Castlepark Grove 4 bedroom detached €490,000
    10 Castlepark Grove 4 bedroom detached €490,000
    11 Castlepark Grove 4 bedroom detached €490,000
    12 Castlepark Grove 4 bedroom detached €490,000
    13 Castlepark Grove 4 bedroom detached €495,000

Bids should be made in writing to Mason Homes and if any other conditions are attached to your offer please outline clearly the details of same. Bids should be delivered to our offices with a booking deposit of €5,000, by way of bank draft made payable to REA Coonan.

In relation to finance, details of your ability to fund the purchase of the property must be enclosed with your bid, otherwise it will not be considered.

If you have any queries in relation to the above mentioned please contact us at castlepark@coonan.com

The vendor will not be obliged to accept the highest or any bid from any property. Finally and in accordance with standard practice neither this email or any correspondence to date forms part of, constitutes or creates any binding contractual agreement which must await the completion of formal legal documentation by both sides. We have no authority to bind our clients.

Kind regards,

Will Coonan

Subject to Contract
    Contract Denied

• Advertisement

@tigershould that's what I thought - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Repetto

I also intend to put a bid in, though like trevize it'll be a far cry from 490k - if it's not accepted, it's not accepted, but who knows... I was in touch with Will Coonan yesterday and as regards new CBI rules, but I got no straight answer when I asked if 20% will be required in the new year. This will be the final phase of this particular development maynoothres, but there is planning permission for another similar development out the same road - whether new CBI rules stall this or not is anyone's guess.

The mail from Coonan's says bids must be 'in excess of' the prices listed. Also you have to pay a booking deposit when bidding.

Will they accept bids lower than those listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 trevize

Is there another phase after this one?

Apologies, that's correct. This is the last phase in Castlepark.
    There is a new estate planned beside Castlepark, built by the same people, with what looks like the same house plans. I just think of it as the next phase. It's actually a completely new estate.
    Have a look at Kildare county council websites to see the plans.
    It's mentioned earlier in this thread if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Castlepark is a beautiful estate but my God those prices are crazy!

The Maynooth property market seems to have completely lost the run of itself.

For the sake of moving a few miles down the road to Kilcock you could have this

http://www.daft.ie/sales/95-royal-meadows-kilcock-kildare/995685/

Am I missing something about these houses that's so amazing that they're worth in excess of the kind of money that's being asked for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ForEffsSake

Long time lurker on this thread as we've been interested in the 4-bed detached since last January. However the price rises are such a kick in the teeth and we're still reeling from the email. We might try and put a lower offer as we can't afford to make the full offer. However, we do have a >20% deposit so might help to make our case a bit more attractive!

At €250 per square foot they're expensive but the way Maynooth is going we don't have much choice. We've been traipsing around all the usual estates for the last year (Silken Vale, Parklands, Rockfield, Moyglare Abbey/Hall etc.) But with the exception of the larger 4 beds in Moyglare Abbey, the upstairs of all these houses are tiny, with four bedrooms often shoehorned into a 1250 sq ft space. And with the more recent ones that have been sold, they're around 270-300 per sq ft.
    We've been outbid twice on nice houses but definitely not worth the money they went for (imho). We lived in London for a number of years and some of the prices in Maynooth wouldn't look out of place within a 30 minute train ride of Liverpool street. Madness.

However, when we went into the Castlepark show house, we really did like it. The bedroom sizes are a great size and the layout of the house is exactly what we're looking for.

We're massively peed off with the price rise but I think Coonans/Masons are really pushing the envelope to see what happens.
    It's odd that suddenly the houses went on sale within days of the CB announcement. I know there were houses due but the EA/Builders just didn't seem ready for the sale. There were no brochures, no price information until Wednesday last, the eventual email was sparse with details and the overall sale is very badly handled. It's extreme laziness on the part of the estate agent to be honest but I suppose those houses are literally selling themselves so why bother!
    I really hope prices settle down and at least stabilise.

Anyway, I'll see about putting some sort of bid in and see what happens. For those of you who have been through the process before, how long before you hear if you've been successful/unsuccessful? If we submit our bid by Friday, would we hear by the next working day? (Tuesday 28th).

Cheers,

FES

I feel your pain re. the quality in Maynooth. Nothing ever looks like value these days compared to neighbouring towns with fairly similar profiles. I'd prefer Maynooth to Kilcock but the house posted earlier in the thread for 279k would save a full 200k+ vs the Castlepark option (granted the former is semi-D). If you're borrowing that extra 200k over 30 years it starts to look closer to 400k when the interest piles up. Bit depressing.

Re. Castlepark, if you had 20% or so (100k) you'd still need to borrow 400,000 euro. The new loan-to-income ratios haven't gotten enough attention - you'd need an income well above 100k. And, for your own sake, you'll need it to stay above 100k for 30 years. If that's based on combined incomes, it means banking on nobody getting seriously ill, made redundant, fired between now and retirement :)

If the Central Bank hadn't intervened I would be at risk of going for broke (literally) on Castlepark but now, as Ixus suggested above, there is a sense that this is the top of the market.

Some people are truly in love with these houses and would regret not doing whatever it takes to get one - which is fair enough - but if you think there might be others houses next year, patience may pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I feel your pain re. the quality in Maynooth. Nothing ever looks like value these days compared to neighbouring towns with fairly similar profiles. I'd prefer Maynooth to Kilcock but the house posted earlier in the thread for 279k would save a full 200k+ vs the Castlepark option (granted the former is semi-D). If you're borrowing that extra 200k over 30 years it starts to look closer to 400k when the interest piles up. Bit depressing.

Slight OT....I'm open to looking at neighbouring towns/villages but is maynooth the last stop for the train to drumcondra? The option of a bus and train into town is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

yellow hen wrote: »
    Slight OT....I'm open to looking at neighbouring towns/villages but is maynooth the last stop for the train to drumcondra? The option of a bus and train into town is ideal.

The trains run to Kilcock also but wouldn't be as frequent as they are in Maynooth.

Not too sure about the buses.

If you did want more frequent train times though it's not too much of a drive from Kilcock to Maynooth and the train station parking is only €4 for 24 hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ForEffsSake

The trouble is for us, we're kind of tied to Maynooth as our eldest has started school in the area and we're just starting to settle. I don't want to uproot everyone again. Also, with us both working in Dublin, it just makes it that bit harder to move further out. This was the limit for us when we moved a couple of years ago - I just don't want to return to the good old days of commuting for hours just to have a big house within our budget.
    Also, that house in Kilcock shown earlier is not such good value when you consider it's only 1400 square feet in size. Better value than Castlepark and Maynooth definitely but then that's not difficult :-).

So I'm not going to rush into it. I'll put an offer in and see what happens. If we don't get it, hopefully things will stabilise and we'll find something else eventually. To be honest, there's already rumblings of a slowdown in the local market. Houses are taking longer to sell and the more outlandishly priced houses are being discounted.

Just as long as the market stops increasing at the alarming rate it has been for the past year!
    It may take longer for sellers to realise this though.

Advertisement