Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

As a matter of interest/nosiness, did anyone ask about bidding below the 'minimum'?

I didn't bid as they were out of reach but I wonder whether they were only accepting bids 'in excess' of the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 studying disaster

Getting frustrated now...would just like to know either way so I can start looking for something else if I didn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Not trying to be sexist or raise anyone's blood pressure any further but...... I'd be interested to know how many of the bidders on here stressing over this are women.

Regarding the design; the semi design is two a penny to new builds in other locations. Same as Straffan Wood is of its period of construction.

I can't remember what you had to provide in the bid but there were 19 gaffs, maybe 100 bidders? You are not dealing witha well organised and efficient organisation. I bet Coonans staff came in Tuesday morning looked at all the bids and ducked out for breakfast/coffee. They have you, they're in no rush and they've probably never worked at a fast pace in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 trevize

As a matter of interest/nosiness, did anyone ask about bidding below the 'minimum'?

I didn't bid as they were out of reach but I wonder whether they were only accepting bids 'in excess' of the asking price.

Yep, I bid below the asking price.
    Castlepark prices make Dublin look cheap.
    Spend five minutes on daft.ie and you find better value new builds in Dublin.
    Maybe the EA is just testing the market?

So... what did everybody bid? ;)

Interesting! And they accepted it, no problem?

Well, let us know how it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Repetto

Hi everyone, reporting back as promised. Just got my email, and our bid was unsuccessful. Feeling devastated, after so much stressing for almost a week. At a loss as to what to do now. FYI, our bid was ever so slightly below asking, we have 20% and can move now! none of which seems to offer any advantage. Seems like there are any number of very wealthy people house hunting in maynooth and we just can't compete. Gutting to feel this way, but what can we do. Good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Repetto wrote: »
    Hi everyone, reporting back as promised. Just got my email, and our bid was unsuccessful. Feeling devastated, after so much stressing for almost a week. At a loss as to what to do now. FYI, our bid was ever so slightly below asking, we have 20% and can move now! none of which seems to offer any advantage. Seems like there are any number of very wealthy people house hunting in maynooth and we just can't compete. Gutting to feel this way, but what can we do. Good luck all.

Sorry to hear that. Try not to be too disappointed, there's always something else.

Sorry to hear it Repetto. Very disappointing. As I was saying earlier, at the viewing I went to I saw much evidence of the Bank of Mum & Dad so there must still be some 'mattress money' around.

On the upside, you'll still be in the market even after the new Central Bank rules kick in next year so at least this wasn't Last Chance Saloon.

Can I ask whether it was a semi- or a detached you had bid on?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ColinMc

I also got the email today to say I was unsuccessful. We too bid about just under the asking price. We have a 30% deposit, mortgage approved, available to proceed immediately to signing contracts. Stated all on the letter but no luck.

Wonder what the winning bids were.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sorry to hear that :( I was feeling the suspense just reading about it :(
    Could it be that they are not sold and just greedy ?

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that :( I was feeling the suspense just reading about it :(
    Could it be that they are not sold and just greedy ?

Ordinarily I'd be tempted to think that but it'd be a fairly risk game for them to play with the new Central Bank rules coming in.

Wait - total conspiracy theory: they sell this lot of houses to people with <20% deposits knowing that they will be out of the market next year?

Sorry, sorry - I'm making it worse.

Ixelles we bid on detached.

Colin we are exact same - 20% deposit (a bit more actually) no strings, fully mortgage approved. Also stated all on letter. Did you bid on semi or detached?

Moonbeam, myself and OH we're just wondering that, but I've no idea. Irrelevant to us anyway. We offered all we could and it was a lot of money yet still it was not enough.

I thought we had a decent chance but ixelles you are right, when mum and dad are injecting 25/50/100k there is just no way it is a level playing field and it makes me feel hopeless about our ability to save enough by ourselves, even though we've been saving brilliantly.

To be honest, if there was something else on the horizon I would feel better, but there isn't and that makes me worried it'll never happen. Need to pull myself together and get some perspective now. Time to move on. Hope to hear back from others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maynoothres

Ixelles we bid on detached.

Colin we are exact same - 20% deposit (a bit more actually) no strings, fully mortgage approved. Also stated all on letter. Did you bid on semi or detached?

Moonbeam, myself and OH we're just wondering that, but I've no idea. Irrelevant to us anyway. We offered all we could and it was a lot of money yet still it was not enough.

I thought we had a decent chance but ixelles you are right, when mum and dad are injecting 25/50/100k there is just no way it is a level playing field and it makes me feel hopeless about our ability to save enough by ourselves, even though we've been saving brilliantly.

To be honest, if there was something else on the horizon I would feel better, but there isn't and that makes me worried it'll never happen. Need to pull myself together and get some perspective now. Time to move on. Hope to hear back from others too.

Must get me some of those mum's and dad's with 25/50/100k!!! Could do with some of that :)

We haven't heard anything yet but we bid on the semi-d's. It looks like they're sorting the detached first based on this feed. Will report back when we hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MACH2013

Gutted for you.

For what its worth, we got rejected when we put in a bid for our detached. We chose 2 different houses, but refused to bid a single penny above the asking. My OH was devastated when we missed out. So I pestered the EA for 6 weeks, everyday! Finally someone backed out, and I was with the EA with my deposit within 30 mins! And we got the house we first put on our Mortgage application, not the two we bid for previously!

Not trying to give false hope, but you just never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ColinMc

Hi Maynoothres,

We bid on the detached.

You speak of Mums and Dad's money but I don't think it's that to be fair. We could have bid €600k based on our mortgage approval.

That's a lot of money to pay back. Considering how long it took us to save 20% we were reluctant to be throwing too much money at it.

Other people don't see it like that though and just seem to throw silly money at it

"sure what's another 40k paid back over 30 years" attitude.

If everybody bid what they could realistically afford then there would be no bubble in the market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I know someone who was gone into desperation mode and thinking of bidding 375+ for the semi.

I didn't want to say this beforehand as it could put unfair pressure on people and it wasn't my place.

It looks to me that, if so many of you were bidding just under, you know how crazy these asking prices were. You probably went that extra mile due to pressure, not value. I'm pretty certain this is the top of the market for a long time to come.

Hard to know quite how much Mum & Dad money is involved but it's definitely a factor. At a viewing of the semi-d I overheard a girl in the next room directly asking her Dad if she could bid 20k over the asking 'to make sure I get it'. The Dad was a bit hesitant about going too far so I've no clue whether/what they bid.

Nothing wrong with this per se, but it must be part of the explanation for where people are getting the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cocobobo

Again not to offer false hope but id keep pestering ea, I'm pretty sure we only got ours because someone dropped out.

And you'd have to wonder how many people will come up with the cash when it comes to the crunch - especially if it drags on and the mortgages people need to draw down become subject to the central bank's new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 trevize

Also got the email today saying we didn't secure a house.
    The bid was under the asking price, so not completely unexpected.
    Similar to ColinMc, we could have bid a lot more, but really didn't want a big mortgage.
    Anyway, thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences, and best of luck to the successful bidders.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 moonster8

Hi all, we also got called today, to say our bid was unsuccessful. We bid over asking price for Semi D, and we were told they went for 395.....Crazy prices.
    Best of luck to everyone still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

moonster8 wrote: »
    Hi all, we also got called today, to say our bid was unsuccessful. We bid over asking price for Semi D, and we were told they went for 395.....Crazy prices.
    Best of luck to everyone still waiting.

Wow!!!! That is insane, we were devestated when we missed out on them @ 295k and had to pay the new price of 320k but this is just becoming insane. I am so sorry to everyone who missed out. I remember that feeling well but there is other houses out there and planning permission for more.Things might change.

Keep onto Will, things might change, especially with the new rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

What was the asking price for the three beds this round?

What was the asking price for the three beds this round?

There was none. only 4 bed semi (8) and 4 bed detached (9).

Kathy22 wrote: »
    There was none. only 4 bed semi (8) and 4 bed detached (9).

So the four beds went for 395?

So the four beds went for 395?

It appears so, the asking price was 360k so people were obviously bidding 35k more.

Kathy22 wrote: »
    It appears so, the asking price was 360k so people were obviously bidding 35k more.

Christ. Bodes well for us house hunting next year

Colin I completely agree with you - we too are in a position to bid up to 600k but we feel that is too much. As you say, the saving involved in getting even 1k together is a lot of hard work. We want to be able to actually have a life in our house, not just to have the house at the cost of everything else in life.

Wrt the bank of mum and dad, I am in a group of friends. One got 25k to purchase his house from parents, one got 50k and the final person was essentially given a house - long story. A good friend who has bought in cp openly told me that they had had "help" to buy and said verbatim "there's no way we could do this on our own". So in my personal experience the bank of mum and dad is alive and well. Excepting my own of course!!!

It just galls me a bit. Myself and OH would be considered in the "top 10%" of earners and yet we are unable to purchase a new build detached house in maynooth... If we want to have something left to furnish it with! If we want to spend 600k and live on bread and water for the foreseeable we could do it though. But it seems we are paying the price for being sensible -we will not jeopardise our financial future for any house. Anyway, best to take a philosophical view of the situation now and believe that We will find what's right for us eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 studying disaster

We didn't get a Semi-d either, just got an email there. Can't believe people were bidding €395k for these, we really thought we were in with a shot, bidding €10k over the asking price. We could have bid at that level but just didn't feel they were worth it, but obviously some people did....I guess we'll just have to get over it and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 its a waiting game

We got our first choice. Absolutely ecstatic to say the least !!!!

Advertisement