Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 crooksling

Hey Kathy22 hows your close date of EOM looking?? :-)

Can I ask a general question about the sequence of when you pay deposits, final amounts and then get the keys?

I'm not buying in Castlepark but am looking at another new development. I have mortgage approval under the old rules but that will expire before the summer. I'm wondering what would happen if I commit to buy now but the house isn't ready until the autumn.

When do you pay a deposit and when do you actually draw down the mortgage?

My concern is that I would need to renew my mortgage in the summer and new rules might apply. Anyone any experience of this? Might the bank honour the earlier mortgage approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Hey Maynoothres the main hold up was the ESB, because they cancelled a few times it pushed our snagging date out by a few weeks.

We did our snag yesterday and our architect said it was one of the best house finishes he has seen in years so that was great.

crooksling ... it looks like we are closing this week, obviosly with funds being drawn down, solictors looking for documents etc. it may be next week until we get the keys but should be smooth sailing from here.

Maynoothres you must be only a few houses down from us :)

Can I ask a general question about the sequence of when you pay deposits, final amounts and then get the keys?

I'm not buying in Castlepark but am looking at another new development. I have mortgage approval under the old rules but that will expire before the summer. I'm wondering what would happen if I commit to buy now but the house isn't ready until the autumn.

When do you pay a deposit and when do you actually draw down the mortgage?

My concern is that I would need to renew my mortgage in the summer and new rules might apply. Anyone any experience of this? Might the bank honour the earlier mortgage approval?

We had to reapply 3 times for a mortgage but the last time was really just submitting new payslips and bank statements. That is because we got approval for castlepark, looked at the houses, put in a bid, were unsuccessful, finally got one but it took over a year for us to get in so it lapses after 6 months.

We paid a deposit up front and then didnt have to pay for much until the last few months. We upgraded tiles, kitchens, bathrooms etc. so paid the difference in upgrading from the show house. We also had to pay for other extras in the house and the cost of labour.

Then this week we paid stamp duty and Land Registry fees etc.

Our house is snagged and ready to draw down the mortgage which our solicitor is doing now. The money goes from the bank to the solicitor to the builders so with transfers that can take a few days. Once in the builders account you get the keys. The deeds document can take a few weeks (normally 4 weeks) but you can move in before you get this.

Hope this helps, I wish there was a guide to renting out a property and a guide to buying with step by step instructions as so much stuff you have to figure out yourself and watch out for hidden fees.

Thanks a million Kathy, that's really helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Maynoothres

We're snagging this week (hopefully) - any last pointers from anybody?

We're snagging this week (hopefully) - any last pointers from anybody?

Our snag went smooth, our architect was quite impressed with the finish and only had minor things on his list, manily touch ups of paint, dirt marks etc. We were in pretty soon after the snag. You must not be far from us. Ill have to keep an eye out for a fellow boardsie :D

Anyone any idea what the alarm company are charging for the alarms on the detached?? There seems to be a standard company in the estate??

crooksling wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what the alarm company are charging for the alarms on the detached?? There seems to be a standard company in the estate??

Tommy Kenny is the electrician on site and therefore most people seem to have gone with TK alarms who he works for (possibly owns). We got a quote for the semi and its was approx 800e for a standard alarm system. We are going with a friend of ours who is going to give us something better for in an around the same price. I know a person in the detached who got a quote from TK alarms for in and around the 1k mark.

thanks Kathy22, not too far off what I was thinking myself! If your friend is interested in give us a quote when we get our keys we would be delighted to talk to him too???

• Advertisement

crooksling wrote: »
    thanks Kathy22, not too far off what I was thinking myself! If your friend is interested in give us a quote when we get our keys we would be delighted to talk to him too???

Hi Crooksling, I'm sure he won't say no to giving a quote for a job. Let me know when you are in and I can send you a PM with his details. Best of luck with your move :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ForEffsSake

Would you mind PM'ing me his details too Kathy22? We're a few months off moving day yet but I'm doing my best to plan and budget :eek:.

Thanks a mill,

FES

• Registered Users Posts: 35 applicant

Apologies if this has been asked before but could anyone who bought a detached house provide me with an indication of how much it cost to finish the house and what this included (floors, tiles etc)? I am just trying to budget for the new builds that will be coming up in Maynooth and I have no idea as to how much this would cost. Even a rough indication would be helpful. Feel free to pm me. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭digiman

applicant wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before but could anyone who bought a detached house provide me with an indication of how much it cost to finish the house and what this included (floors, tiles etc)? I am just trying to budget for the new builds that will be coming up in Maynooth and I have no idea as to how much this would cost. Even a rough indication would be helpful. Feel free to pm me. Thanks!

What new builds are coming up in Maynooth, do you have any links for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

New unnamed estate broken ground opposite Lidl.

Planning in for new estate between Lidl and Griffin Rath, also one opposite Griffin Rath.

New estate with planning beside and to be built by the same people as Castlepark.

Further stages of Moyglare Hall and possibly Griffin Rath.

New houses on Celbridge Road built by the people who did Griffin Rath.

If you got an email from Coonan's this morning you'll know how much they are asking for them. If not, guess! :eek:

And it's the same story of making first and final sealed bids by a specific date this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 applicant

Would I be right in thinking approx 30,000 for floors , tiles etc or would that figure be way off? Just trying to get a rough indication. Any info much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭MaxPower131

New houses on Celbridge Road built by the people who did Griffin Rath.

If you got an email from Coonan's this morning you'll know how much they are asking for them. If not, guess! :eek:

And it's the same story of making first and final sealed bids by a specific date this month.

Its ok they spelt it out in word form on the advertisement in case you thought your eyes were deceiving you. Say what:eek:

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/ard-na-gr-ine-celbridge-rd-maynooth-co-kildare/3242515

You've got until Friday fortnight to give them in excess of 650,000 euro (plus 30k or whatever in fitting out). Get 'em while it's hot.

Seriously, I know I have a bad habit of saying 'There's no way they'll get that' but...there's no way they'll get that. How did they even think of the number? And that's the minimum they will entertain.

Sure, they have a list of people who viewed Castlepark and another bunch who drove past those houses and expressed an interest. But do three of these people have 650,000 and want to spend it in this way?

Castlepark, to be fair (and I don't live there), is a far nicer development - green spaces, neighbours, near the village. Imagine parting with 680k to live in a row of four dormer bungalows on a back road between two villages in Kildare where you can hear the genteel hum of the M4.

I seriously expected these to be asking 450-480k i.e. less than the detached in Castlepark. I will eat my weight in hamster droppings if these show up on the PPR any time this side of 2020 for more than 650k. So there. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

In excess of 650k???! For crying out loud you'd get a standalone bungalow near maynooth for that! The carton demense houses start from 700k which is practically the same at that price range??!

• Advertisement

Two things:

- A few new Castlepark houses are due to be released by Coonan's this month.

- Advice please: any tips for sealed bidding situations? For example, is it best to bid uneven numbers or go for your max bid plus a penny in case that's the number other people go with?

Two things:

- Advice please: any tips for sealed bidding situations? For example, is it best to bid uneven numbers or go for your max bid plus a penny in case that's the number other people go with?

Interesting I wonder are these houses that fell through or the show houses perhaps. The bidding situtation is tricky and highly dependant on demand. Are they detached or semi? I know there was a lack of demand for the semi. When we bid there was high demand and we bid at an uneven number ... just in case but the person who bid the highest bid way over the asking and this was in the third phase i think. One thing I will say is ignore everything the EA says, lots of BS. You could try ringing Mason homes? We did that as we got fed up with the sealed bid and just wanted a house which is how we got one in the second last phase after being unsuccessful in our bidding and then offered a house we didnt want (3 bed). Mason homes were lovely to deal with.

I'm basing this on second-hand info but I heard there will be four more detached houses released 'near the back'.

My quest re. bidding is about a house in another estate but same 'rules' apply (insofar as there are no rules - I checked!). Handy tip on bidding uneven numbers.

Suppose I'll go more or less for what we can afford plus another euro or something :) But maybe everyone will think that way. Hmmm...plus 2 euro. And 51c.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My guess was that they would be guiding 550 so I was way off.
    It is a case of demand and supply.
    They do look nice but not amazing.

so 5+ beds for sale in Maynooth -
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/kildare/property-for-sale-in-maynooth?minbeds=5

Moonbeam wrote: »

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/kildare/property-for-sale-in-maynooth?minbeds=5

Well, it was sealed bids by last week but they are listed again on Myhome so I guess demand isn't quite as high as they thought

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Moonbeam wrote: »

Who designs all the wardrobes? Will someone tell them that the dressing table built in with the wardrobes is gack! All that timber reminds me of a caravan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Two things:

Just add 13.5% vat to prices in the sold section of myhome.

344 + vat - circa 390k appears to have been the limit for 4beds.

Interestingly, not seeing any prices that could be translated to 5 beds in last phase. I see 400 + vat = 454k for second phase.

Are they being held back so as not to show prices, not finished yet or, did a lot fall through due to new reg?

The skimping on the decor for the show jouse in Ard na Greine at 650k is shocking. And thats supposed to go to a family member. Where else they cut back? Big house but poor garden. I want more for my €'s.

Just to be clear, I'm not bidding on Castlepark but wanted to pick your collective brains as I know there is some experience here of sealed bids. I'm bidding on a second-hand house and the agent has decided to cut off the bidding war and go for 'best and final bids' by Monday. Eek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Just to be clear, I'm not bidding on Castlepark but wanted to pick your collective brains as I know there is some experience here of sealed bids. I'm bidding on a second-hand house and the agent has decided to cut off the bidding war and go for 'best and final bids' by Monday. Eek.

Yeh and if you look at the prices and add vat you can see what the sealed bids were and get your idea.

• Advertisement

Ah, I see what you mean - thanks!

Advertisement