Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 trevize

Just to be clear, I'm not bidding on Castlepark but wanted to pick your collective brains as I know there is some experience here of sealed bids. I'm bidding on a second-hand house and the agent has decided to cut off the bidding war and go for 'best and final bids' by Monday. Eek.

Bid on a house in Castlepark Square in January, it was asking about €550k.
    In the end I "lost" the bidding to a cash buyer ready to move in.
    Oddly, 6 months later, the property has not appeared on the property price register.
    It looks like it was either not sold, or not sold to a cash buyer.
    I'm sure you already know...take anything an agent says with a large pinch of salt.

Strange one alright. You never know, there may have been a long chain of sales that could have dragged it out. Perhaps it will show up eventually. I've also seen cases where the house is listed in the wrong town ('Kildare' instead of 'Celbridge') or with an odd spelling (try 'Castle Park'). I wonder if this is done deliberately but it's probably just bad spelling by a solicitor!

Definitely four more detached houses on the way at the back of Castlepark. Coonan bringing them to market between 500k and 515k

• Registered Users Posts: 10 crooksling

I see Mason Homes have been refused PP on the adjoining site to Castlepark! Anyone hear anything about this or why it was refused??

Documents are all on Kildare County Council planning site. Just search for Mason Homes. http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiry/

In summary: traffic.

The main problem seems to be that they are unconvinced that these additional houses won't be a traffic nightmare. You'll also find objections from the Lyreen residents and the residents of Pebble Hill House.

The Lyreen submission is very detailed, even including concern for the habit of local bats. I'm not making this up :)

But in fairness, they question Mason Homes assumption that each house will generate an average of 0.5 journeys at morning and even rush hour. This, they say, sounds like a very conservative guess. For a new development, households are likely to have one or more resident working outside the home and several households will have school runs in the morning. The 0.5 figure might be true of settled mixed estates where some people are retired but there won't be many retirees in these houses (for a while anyway!).

I suppose they can appeal.

In terms of the broader need for housing the area, there are loads of houses on the way near Tesco, Lidl, Straffan Road... More would be welcome but if it clogs up the roads it's not worth it.

How's the traffic in Castlepark now that it's nearly fully occupied?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Looked back at the last round of debate in this thread during the final phase. Ten months ago now. Top of the market as I said back then? Yep.

Looks like all the residents of the area agreed with me RE traffic.

I also said the developer had the market cornered at the time and sentiment was strongly in favor along with lack of supply. Ten months later, some of the castlepark houses are coming back on and there's adequate second hand supply (with houses up for sale a while) and a lot of new developments in the works.

Two sites approved across from tesco, a development beside straffan wood, completion of newtown hall and moyglare hall. Planning gone in for the celbridge road and beside newtown hall. Castlepark two appeal and that site across from carton square. Circa 500 properties.

Incidentally, the residents association in Rockfield has belated noticed the Celbridge Road development behind the Educate Together. Many of the houses back onto parts of Rockfield which were previously open fields. Cue major freak-out. If it's not too late to object, they will be lodging something.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hayfield (opposite Esso) has the least useful website in the world up. There's houses up to first floor level and the website just has "register your interest" - no details of the houses, prices, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

ixus wrote: »
    Looked back at the last round of debate in this thread during the final phase. Ten months ago now. Top of the market as I said back then? Yep.

Looks like all the residents of the area agreed with me RE traffic.

I also said the developer had the market cornered at the time and sentiment was strongly in favor along with lack of supply. Ten months later, some of the castlepark houses are coming back on and there's adequate second hand supply (with houses up for sale a while) and a lot of new developments in the works.

Two sites approved across from tesco, a development beside straffan wood, completion of newtown hall and moyglare hall. Planning gone in for the celbridge road and beside newtown hall. Castlepark two appeal and that site across from carton square. Circa 500 properties.

Can't find the planning applications for sites adjacent to straffan wood and newtown hall. Any idea of applicant names?

shoehorn wrote: »
    Can't find the planning applications for sites adjacent to straffan wood and newtown hall. Any idea of applicant names?

Hmm, can't find newtown hall. May have made a mistake. Dowdstown developments and kelston for another 200 properties behind lidl.

• Advertisement

Incidentally, the residents association in Rockfield has belated noticed the Celbridge Road development behind the Educate Together. Many of the houses back onto parts of Rockfield which were previously open fields. Cue major freak-out. If it's not too late to object, they will be lodging something.

Ah, the NIMBY association.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

crooksling wrote: »
    I see Mason Homes have been refused PP on the adjoining site to Castlepark! Anyone hear anything about this or why it was refused??

Don't quote me on this but someone told me there was bats in the field and they are protected species and therefore the area can't be built on. Not sure how true it is though and possibly just a rumour! I would love that though as our house backs onto that field.

Kathy22 wrote: »
    Don't quote me on this but someone told me there was bats in the field and they are protected species and therefore the area can't be built on. Not sure how true it is though and possibly just a rumour! I would love that though as our house backs onto that field.

One of the objections mentioned bats in their submission but I don't think bats get a mention in the reasons given by the Council (open to correction on that; was just skimming the documents out of nosiness).

Traffic was the main problem. And it's a problem for lots of towns in Kildare and Meath that have grown from being a main street with a few estates nearby to a main street surrounded by 10,000-20,000 people.

Naas and Celbridge would be around the 20,000 mark. Maynooth maybe closing in on 15,000 but lots of new units in the works so could easily hit 20k by 2020. Major strain on roads but also on schools and other services.

There are more people in Maynooth and Celbridge combined than in Country Leitrim.

565k just up on ppr.

Purchased in may 2014 for 412 including vat. Some flip.

Still none of the final phase detached on ppr. Are any occupied?
    Did we ever establish what kind of money 25 Castlepark Sq went for? Was it +/- the asking?

Property price register showing up a few of last year's sales.

Prices are ex-VAT @13.5%:
    and so on

Presuming these were not the houses sold in autumn? i.e. People haven't yet paid for them.

Looking at those numbers and CSO data saying prices have fallen (moderately) over the past few months, any scope for reverse gazumping if the downward trend continues?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maynoothres

None of the detached have closed yet. Still one semi-d to be finished then it'll just be the detached remaining.

Any word on if these shifted? I've a feeling not as its still advertised.
    You've got until Friday fortnight to give them in excess of 650,000 euro (plus 30k or whatever in fitting out). Get 'em while it's hot.

Seriously, I know I have a bad habit of saying 'There's no way they'll get that' but...there's no way they'll get that. How did they even think of the number? And that's the minimum they will entertain.

Sure, they have a list of people who viewed Castlepark and another bunch who drove past those houses and expressed an interest. But do three of these people have 650,000 and want to spend it in this way?

Castlepark, to be fair (and I don't live there), is a far nicer development - green spaces, neighbours, near the village. Imagine parting with 680k to live in a row of four dormer bungalows on a back road between two villages in Kildare where you can hear the genteel hum of the M4.

I seriously expected these to be asking 450-480k i.e. less than the detached in Castlepark. I will eat my weight in hamster droppings if these show up on the PPR any time this side of 2020 for more than 650k. So there. :cool:

Hi - were near closing now & are getting scared at how the costs for finishing the house internally - floors, blinds, tiles etc!!!! Anyone any idea what the price builders charge for tile laying & timber floor laying??? Did people go for the lads on site or go externally?? Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maynoothres

crooksling wrote: »
    Hi - were near closing now & are getting scared at how the costs for finishing the house internally - floors, blinds, tiles etc!!!! Anyone any idea what the price builders charge for tile laying & timber floor laying??? Did people go for the lads on site or go externally?? Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

Hi Crooksling

We're in a 4 bed semi and were quoted €700 by the guys on site to lay laminate floor on the whole downstairs. Ended up doing it ourselves over 2 weekends and got them in to put the skirting boards on for us afterwards (€100). Laminate cost us €1000 but it will depend on what you go for. Bearfoot offered a good Castlepark discount as masons buy a lot from them.

Blinds can vary so much depending on what you choose so couldn't really quote that.

Any more questions feel free to drop a mail.

Thanks Maynoothres - were going to go down to bearfoot today and have a look at what they have. Its hard to get precise quotes from people as they cant see the house yet or get exact measurements so i think well have to go with estimates for now!! Its great though, finally happening!! Btw, did the skirtings go back up okay with the carpenters, did they need to be touched up by the painters??

Any word on if these shifted? I've a feeling not as its still advertised.

I've not additional info but see that the ad is still up and was updated today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭digiman

I've not additional info but see that the ad is still up and was updated today.

Have you a link to the add?

Apologies - link was posted further back but here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭digiman

Apologies - link was posted further back but here it is

Thanks, I thought for a minute that there was still ones for sale in Castlepark. Those houses are about 200k overpriced I think

digiman wrote: »
    Thanks, I thought for a minute that there was still ones for sale in Castlepark. Those houses are about 200k overpriced I think

I heard in June that there were four more detached in Castlepark to be released. Never saw them on MyHome/Daft but I presume they have a fairly long list of people who had expressed an interest in the past. Even if some have moved on, there are still new people popping up all the time and the estate only becomes more attractive as the building phase wraps up.

The prices on those other new houses on the Celbridge Road are laughable. I've bought a house elsewhere so it's not a case of me claiming that everything is overpriced. They want 650k but the location and the development itself are not very appealing (at least to me!). Hilariously, they went for 'best and final bids by X date' in June...and then had to lower themselves to advertising them in the usual way.

I'll have to try extra hard to scoff when their either drop the prices on MyHome or the houses pop up on the Price Register for about 15-20% less than the asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 69x0qfea7rndmi

Surely there is better value buying a second hand home in old Maynooth rather than going to Castlepark? Better size rooms, gardens etc. A beautiful detached house in Carton Court in Maynooth sold for €371,000 in June.

Possibly,but they are ice boxes if not insulated recently. Also need to check wiring of old houses. Most of thoses houses occupied by couples with kids moved on or rented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 69x0qfea7rndmi

Possibly,but they are ice boxes if not insulated recently. Also need to check wiring of old houses. Most of thoses houses occupied by couples with kids moved on or rented.

Coming from Dublin 30 years is not an old house and we have ice boxes up here with E, F and G ratings. You won't see that in Maynooth! Still as there is high demand up here it doesnt put people off doing some work. There are also good grants from seai for improving ber rating. I don't think a little upgrading should put people off. The older estates are normally better located, well established and better bang for your book!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Coming from Dublin 30 years is not an old house and we have ice boxes up here with E, F and G ratings. You won't see that in Maynooth! Still as there is high demand up here it doesnt put people off doing some work. There are also good grants from seai for improving ber rating. I don't think a little upgrading should put people off. The older estates are normally better located, well established and better bang for your book!

Carton Court would be closer to if not over 40 years old (oldest I can find in the local newsletter in a very brief search is 1979). The original layout of the bigger ones is a bit insane inside too from memory - monstrous dining room and a kitchen barely big enough to cook in.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ForEffsSake

I suppose it depends what you want and what you're willing to pay for or the work you're willing to do.
    Size wise, the house in Carton Court is 1500 sq ft versus detached Castlepark 1950 sq ft. So per sq foot there isn't a huge difference in price, but then you do have to take into account the floors/fittings etc. for new houses.

I prefer the layout in CP but that's me - doesn't suit everyone's needs/lifestyle. Also people do pay a premium for having a shiny new house. Having spent years myself throwing money at an old house, it's nice to know you don't have to rip up floors/knock down walls when you buy a new one!

The gardens are definitely an issue in CPark as they are small for the houses but again that may not bother some - especially as kids rarely use them once they get old enough to go onto the greens.
    Location wise, Castlepark is a lot closer to the town centre and handier for the boy/girls schools. But CCourt is handier for Gaelscoil or Edu Together schools. Also CCourt is handier for zipping onto the M4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Bravo Oscar Bravo

Hey folks

I'm on the 3 network and the coverage is non existent half the time. Does anyone on Vodafone or Meteor find they get consistent coverage at all

Thanks

Advertisement