Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog just bit someone

• 25-09-2011 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

JUst wondering has anyone any explanation as to what just happened!Chinese delivery man just came to the door,my sister went to answer it but our two miniature jack russel terriers got out.the are mother and daughter,8 and 10 years old. The daughter is usually quiet and submissive but ran out the door and grabbed onto the delivery man's ankle-she was very vicious and wouldn't let go til he kicked her. He was scared and we were shocked,she is usually a very quiet and timid dog,it hasn't happened before and I hope it wont happen again-but are there any ways I can stop a repeat performance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Not nice for the delivery man, ring the place and offer to pay for the mans tetnus (sp).

In the mean time perhaps some baby gates to keep them out of the hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bettyboop1

Thanks,luckily (or unluckily?!) I know him well.needless to say I am mortified-they skin did not break so does he still need a tetanus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

bettyboop1 wrote: »
    JUst wondering has anyone any explanation as to what just happened!Chinese delivery man just came to the door,my sister went to answer it but our two miniature jack russel terriers got out.the are mother and daughter,8 and 10 years old. The daughter is usually quiet and submissive but ran out the door and grabbed onto the delivery man's ankle-she was very vicious and wouldn't let go til he kicked her. He was scared and we were shocked,she is usually a very quiet and timid dog,it hasn't happened before and I hope it wont happen again-but are there any ways I can stop a repeat performance?

unfortunately the only way you can be sure it doesn't happen again is to put the dog down. What would happen if it was a child next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

poor thing probably though he was coming to collect her for a curry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    unfortunately the only way you can be sure it doesn't happen again is to put the dog down. What would happen if it was a child next time?

Lets not jump the gun , she did say it never happened before and is also looking for advice so that it wont happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

You are correct. The ONLY way is to kill the dog. Are you for real? a minature jacker has a go at the shoelaces of a delivery man but a child may be killed? OP is obviously worried about the dog so is hardly going to be leaving it in a crib.

If it looks at a human crosseyed it must be culled on account of the children. You sound like Maud Flanders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Our dog years ago was always quite aggressive towards, delivery people, postman etc. After a few years we came to the conclusion, that when people came to the door but didnt come in, that the dog thought that they were not welcome, and so wanted to 'protect' us. So we started bringing everyone who came to the door, inside, and to sit down, even for a minute, that indicated that they were welcome, and the problem went away.

I dont know if thats the case here, but it might be worth investigating. In the mean time, some baby gates, would help, meaning you could invite the delivery man in to the house.

Yes, a bite from a Jack Russel that didnt even break the skin of a deliveryman could damage a child irreparably. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

Shammy wrote: »
    Lets not jump the gun , she did say it never happened before and is also looking for advice so that it wont happen again.
    Exactly next time keep dog in living room wheir he can sees delivery person and after a while he gets used too hse callers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

syklops wrote: »
    Our dog years ago was always quite aggressive towards, delivery people, postman etc. After a few years we came to the conclusion, that when people came to the door but didnt come in, that the dog thought that they were not welcome, and so wanted to 'protect' us. So we started bringing everyone who came to the door, inside, and to sit down, even for a minute, that indicated that they were welcome, and the problem went away.

Great idea!! I would have never thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

OP go back to basics with the dog. Pretend Its a pup and reinforce all rules. My dog learned how to snarl while play fighting with my cousins dog when they came over on visits. Since then she seemed to use it as a precursor to playing, which worried me and the owners of prospective playmates. Its relatively easy, (if not highly time consuming) to correct learned bad behaviour.

They are intelligent family members and usually need quite a few reasons to change behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Teach your dog front door manners. They must be taught not to react to the doorbell, and the front door is never opened unless they are sitting on their mat, politely, away from the door, and they don't move off that mat until released.

If you have dogs that go off nuts every time the doorbell rings, you'll find that the doorbell sends them into massive overdrive. In massive overdrive, a dog is arguably not its normal self and that's when accidents happen - snaps, bites, lunges, so on. The best way to keep a dog calm is to work on never revving it up except when in play in a controlled environment. Every member of the family must be on the same page.

Examples of dogs who are 'revved up' or in high drive include dogs that react to doorbells or a knock at the door, dogs that fence-fight with passing dogs outside the yard, dogs that go bananas when post is delivered through the door, so on. Those sorts of high energy behaviours are rewarding to the dog and play into their basic instincts around defending territory and so on.

Work on having an 'off switch' for your dogs - a good, non-dominanace-based trainer can help you with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    youtube! wrote: »
    poor thing probably though he was coming to collect her for a curry...

Both of you can have a break.
    First port of call is not to put a dog down after a situation such as this.
    Also anyone with other smart/racist comments can keep them to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bettyboop1

Thanks everyone one for your advice. I agree with the majority of posters that it is unnecessary to have her put to sleep. I understand it was totally unacceptable behavior however I feel it would be cruel and undeserved to have her put down after this isolated incident.She is a loving and friendly dog with both adults and children normally,that's why we were so shocked,it was totally uncharacteristic. I think we will have to go back to basics and try train her front door manners and boundaries,I will be carrying out your advice for the foreseeable future! thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

syklops wrote: »

I dont know if thats the case here, but it might be worth investigating. In the mean time, some baby gates, would help, meaning you could invite the delivery man in to the house.

it works to my knowledge. i am a delivery driver for a shop and have my regular customers, 1 of which has a staff. at the start it used to bark when i approached the house but the woman had hurt her hand so for a few weeks i had to bring her goods into the kitchen for her where i started rubbing the dog, same the next week and the week after, ever since this as soon as i open the gate all i can see its tail waggling and the dog running up to me for a rub. she told me its mad that it doesnt bark at me but goes beserk towards the postman.

Advertisement