Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully comp vs. Private health insurance

Options
  • 26-09-2011 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I'm new to the two wheel world and have just bought my very first bike. I'm looking at insurance quotes and the difference between 3rd party only and fully comp is 750 v 1085. Initially I'd planned to go fully comp in case, god forbid, I ended up doing myself some damage which required costly medical treatment. The cost of the bike is not worth considering in terms of a claim (less than 2k) so this would be the only benefit.

It's just occurred to me that I already have decent VHI cover, so my question is, is it false economy to get fully comp under the assumption they'll cover medical costs when I already have health care which should do the same?The 300 squids are better in my pocket if so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If you crash the bike into a wall, fully comp won't pay your medical bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Vic_Mackey

Clearly I need to do more reading and less assuming. Ta muchly!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

RasTa wrote: »
    If you crash the bike into a wall, fully comp won't pay your medical bills.

Fully comp has other benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I thought fully comp would cover me if I had an accident which was my fault.

So they will only cover me for the loss of the bike and not medical expenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

So they will only cover me for the loss of the bike and not medical expenses?

Yep. Pretty **** when you think about it. Once my bike went under 3k in worth I was straight onto Third Party F&T.

• Advertisement
Advertisement