Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mountain biking in the Curragh in Kildare

• 26-09-2011 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Anyone here on boards do any mountain biking in the Curragh in Kildare?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Id like to if the trails are any use, altho the alot of the local population seem to be a bit crap tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Are there trails on hills somewhere there? The Curragh I see from the train looks fairly flat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Nisio wrote: »
    Are there trails on hills somewhere there? The Curragh I see from the train looks fairly flat

Yeah that's what I was wondering too. Someone onto mountain biking told me there are a few trails and a good few people have their bikes out there regularly.

Anyone know about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

There are trails around the place off road that I've seen people jogging on; like worn paths in the grass. Didn't look like any hills to speak of. If you have transport there are trails at Stradbally there's a club in north Laois http://www.unlaoisedmtb.com that might suit you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There is a area used by the Army as an off road driving course which is suitable. As well as that there are a few isolated spots with hills and trails. You would want to be careful that there is no firing or off roading going on though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Head to the south east end of the Curragh (opposite end to the race course) where the army train. There aren't really trails as such, just short grass (and some gorse) which means you can ride pretty much anywhere. You're probably not officially allowed to be there but the few times I've been out there I've never seen anyone. It's worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Greyspoke wrote: »
    Head to the south east end of the Curragh (opposite end to the race course) where the army train. There aren't really trails as such, just short grass (and some gorse) which means you can ride pretty much anywhere. You're probably not officially allowed to be there but the few times I've been out there I've never seen anyone. It's worth checking out.

Is that the area with the big man made hill where the army train? Just beside the golf course?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Its called flagstaff, all the earth from the the trenches in the area piled up and a flag pole on the top. This is the area:

http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.134903,-6.795945&spn=0.014907,0.038538&t=h&z=15&vpsrc=6

and here is the off road track

http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.151699,-6.800687&spn=0.007451,0.019269&t=h&z=16&vpsrc=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭redzone

I live next to the Curragh and use it regulary on the Mtb.
    Its not like the trails or single track in Wicklow or elsewhere but for a good crosscountry spin its ideal and on a nice evening its beautiful.
    The best areas are where the army fly the red flags when the firing range is in use, obviously to be avoided at these times.
    There are plenty of steep man made hills and drop offs all over the place, just go and explore and soon you will have put a loop together.
    Its a great place to introduce kids to Mtb or for a spin with the family.

Advertisement