Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gardai at the toll bridge

Options
  • 26-09-2011 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Just wondering what the gardai were doing at the toll bridge on the m6? they redirected me off the motorway and down country lanes seemingly to find my own way to galway...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

There has been a serious crash

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mikesvr6

thought as much, hope all involved are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

I heard (from an eye witness) that a car hit a cow that had gotten on the motorway. Don't think it's good news for the cow :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

That's not the first time I've heard of a cow being on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭readmylips

loada BULL perhaps ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Hitting a cow at motorway speed is extremely serious, given the weight of the animal. Most people don't walk away from a crash like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Yeah we were one of the ones redirected as well, I didn't manage to find my way back to the motorway until way after Loughrea. Goes to show how brilliant these motorways are. So easy to get around and so difficult without them.

We were thinking along the same lines, e.g. accident. I hope those people from the crash survived, hitting a cow is very serious indeed at motorway speeds. It weighs the same as a small car. I hope the cow didn't suffer either.

I'm surprised this happened, the fencing around the motorway seems to be very solid, and it's all the same everywhere so I guess it was built by the motorway construction company.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alimegs

I passed this last night not long after it happened, loooked pretty serious, car on its rough, about 3 fire brigades at it..

Hope all are ok

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Hitting a cow at motorway speed is extremely serious, given the weight of the animal. Most people don't walk away from a crash like that.

When I was still in Botswana, a family lost three of their kids and had one put in a wheelchair after their car hit a cow and flipped off the road. One of the kids had been in my class and was only about seven. His older and younger sisters also died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I was wondering what happened there, there was nothing on the news or on the AA roadwatch website, I was hoping it wasn't a crash. An ambulance went past just as we rejoined the motorway at Loughrea. I hope all involved are OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Were the Gardai telling people 'moooo-ve along, nothing to see here'

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alimegs

car on its roof, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Apologies for sounding a bit selfish.......but i take it the motorway is open for business today? There's nothing on AA Roadwatch anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Not seeing a cow on the motorway is careless driving if you ask me.

There was also a two car collision on the stretch of motorway between the two Ballinasloe exits last week, hopefully it was a merging accident and not two cars driving the same direction on the motorway. Knowing Irish Drivers they were probably trying to drive in the overtaking lane while there was no one to overtake.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Unless cows are fitted with headlights these days you'd have little or no chance of spotting it in the dark until you were almost on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

stupid comment

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

what a ridiculous comment from head the wall. not seeing a probably dark coloured cow in the middle of the night on the motorway is careless driving!!!!! could you explain why you think this?

Think what ye want, I know with headlights on that stretch of motorway you can see half a mile or more in front of you.

Do ye not think that just maybe the driver wasn't paying full attention, unless ye have definitive evidence your comments are as ridiculous as mine. Cows don't need headlights either as cars have them, basically what I am hearing here is that people will drive blindly into any inanimate object that is not lit up.

I hope I never meet any of ye on the roads because it seems like ye have 0% faith in your driving abilities.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Cows are not inanimate, they tend to run around the place.

Just saying.

Yes but from half a mile away if someone doesn't see something they ate not paying attention. It doesn't take that long to slow a car from 120k to astop.

Put a human in dark clothes in this situation, people are saying they will just drive into them. You may have an excuse on a dark twist country road but on a motorway there should be no excuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

There was also a two car collision on the stretch of motorway between the two Ballinasloe exits last week, hopefully it was a merging accident and not two cars driving the same direction on the motorway. Knowing Irish Drivers they were probably trying to drive in the overtaking lane while there was no one to overtake.
    Yeah you do have to wonder what the story is. I'm not saying it's related and I hope nobody was hurt in this accident but I was on the main Dublin to Limerick motorway twice in the last few weeks (well 4 times there and back, there and back) and I was astounded at the speeds. My sister was tipping along at 120 and the speed people were passing us out at was remarkable. Where are all these speed camera vans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Yes but from half a mile away if someone doesn't see something they ate not paying attention. It doesn't take that long to slow a car from 120k to astop.

Put a human in dark clothes in this situation, people are saying they will just drive into them. You may have an excuse on a dark twist country road but on a motorway there should be no excuse

People don't have an excuse walking on a motorway. If at all necessary in order to to get to a phone or something they should walk on the emergency lane or even better, behind the guard rails. But a cow doesn't have that knowledge.

And it does take a longer time than you think stopping from 120kph, especially if the cow was in a bend or something, or was hidden from view by a truck. It could have suddenly jumped up and walked around, it was probably already agitated because of other cars passing at high speeds.

I've had similar situations, like when what I thought was a rock at the side of the road suddenly got up and walked off. I wouldn't blame it on the driver without knowing exactly what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wonder sometimes - is this the most argumentative forum on boards?
    Anyway, no cow today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement