Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 visa - Secondary to Primary holder

Options
  • 26-09-2011 4:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering has anyone been defacto on 457 and then got their own 457 and their partner gone defacto?

I'm currently defacto on my oh's 457, he's not happy in the job so I'm considering asking my employer to sponser me. Would I have to apply seperatley and further down the line if he left his job could he apply for defacto then?!
    Would we have to go through the whole porcess again or would it be a bit easier considering I already have a 457?

Has anyone been in this situation, i know its not as easy as just switching over the current visa?!

Thanks
    Em

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

emfitz wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering has anyone been defacto on 457 and then got their own 457 and their partner gone defacto?
    Not me personally but my best friend has
    I'm currently defacto on my oh's 457, he's not happy in the job so I'm considering asking my employer to sponser me. Would I have to apply seperatley and further down the line if he left his job could he apply for defacto then?!
    You would have to apply separately yes, and you could put the OH straight away or later down the line (my friend did it later down the line)
    Would we have to go through the whole porcess again or would it be a bit easier considering I already have a 457?
    The whole process again, you do not have a 457, your partner does.
    Not easier, but also not difficult (you could say easier as you have gone through the process before and your already a defacto on the immi books)
    Has anyone been in this situation, i know its not as easy as just switching over the current visa?!
    There is no switch, as the visa is between your BF <--> company.
    The only switch that can be done was BF <--> new employer.

My friends situation was this, (both accountants)
    She had a full time job, he was contracting (more $), she was offered (as was he) a 457, he went defacto so he could still stay contracting.
    After 2years, he got his own visa, and she continued to work for a few months, she then applied to be defacto on his, quit her job and she persuaded a career change.

No hassle with the visa's all applied and granted pretty quick (they had high demand skills)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭emfitz

You would have to apply separately yes, and you could put the OH straight away or later down the line (my friend did it later down the line)

Thanks Hussey,

If i did put my OH in straight away would that cancel out his visa or do you know how that works. Prob better waiting and applying down the line.
    KPMG did the whole process for us the last time and i still have copies of everything, i suppose its a matter of changing names really and still handing in the same documents.

Pretty similar to your friends case, I have a full time job in accounting i like, my OH an engineer would prefer the freedom and more choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

emfitz wrote: »

Thanks Hussey,

If i did put my OH in straight away would that cancel out his visa or do you know how that works. Prob better waiting and applying down the line.
    KPMG did the whole process for us the last time and i still have copies of everything, i suppose its a matter of changing names really and still handing in the same documents.

Pretty similar to your friends case, I have a full time job in accounting i like, my OH an engineer would prefer the freedom and more choice.

His visa would be cancelled yes

Advertisement