Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Condensation

• 26-09-2011 9:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what causes condensation like this. The airvent is open all day/night, the door of the room is left open during, the occupant is a 3 year old boy. The heating came on about an hour before this photo was taken this morning but the condensation was there before this.
    The condensation is on the inside and not between the glass.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

hot air meeting a cold surface,you need double glazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

buzzerxx wrote: »
    hot air meeting a cold surface,you need double glazing!

It is double glazed. How do I stop it being so bad???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

There are only three answers to condensation on good double glazed windows.
    Ventilation, ventilation, and.... ventilation.
    You might also check that there is no dampness seeping in through the outer walls or from leaking plumbing.
    This dampness would be turned to condensation by the radiator and deposited on the coldest surface in the room, which is usually the glass or sometimes the"heads", [lintels] over the windows.

There are only three answers to condensation on good double glazed windows.
    Ventilation, ventilation, and.... ventilation.
    You might also check that there is no dampness seeping in through the outer walls or from leaking plumbing.
    This dampness would be turned to condensation by the radiator and deposited on the coldest surface in the room, which is usually the glass or sometimes the"heads", [lintels] over the windows.

maybe a dehumidifier would be good in the room. Are they noisy though

Might be a start all right.
    In the long term though the basic problem should be identified and tackled.
    That box bow window is resting on three outside walls which do not seem to be very well insulated??
    I think that an experienced, competent and decent builder,[there are still some of them around], would be your best source of advise.
    All this presumes that you own the property. If you don't get on to your landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Be Sure the air vent hasn't been blocked in the past, people do block the as they can make a room cold...

Are there any damp patches on the walls/floor round the windows? poor detailing round the windows can bring in damp from outside when it rains...

Dehumidifier?. I'm not sure but check how much it will cost to run, it will need to be on for quite a while.. It may actually be cheaper and much more pleasent to have the heating on more often...

If that has been going on for long you should check for mould round the room, if you find mould anywhere I'd me moving the 3 year old out until its sorted...

Do you dry clothes on the radiators ??

condensation is a tricky problem,i supply and fit pvc windows and a few years ago i fitted 2 full houses of windows and doors to neighbouring houses.
    one had condensastion on the north facing windows in the morning and the other one had none despite the windows being identical.
    many factors come into this like how many people sleeping in house,air vents,house plants,proximety to kitchen.

The air vent is open 24/7 and has been for years now. house is timber frame so insulation prob not big issue. This room is south facing and was like this last winter also.

curly and bbam posted good advice,try what they say first,especially not drying clothes indoors,that is a big cause of condensation and also bad for your health.
    can cause headaches and arthritis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Keeping an eye on this as we have the exact same problem in our main bedroom..
    We haven't had the heating on in about 3 months.. We don't have an outside vent in the room..
    Will possibly look to put one in if that is the general consensus from the good folk in here!!

• Advertisement

curly and bbam posted good advice,try what they say first,especially not drying clothes indoors,that is a big cause of condensation and also bad for your health.
    can cause headaches and arthritis.

don't dry cloths like this

I don’t doubt the headaches but certainly not arthritis – this is an autoimmune disease and not caused by wet/dampness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Condensation is caused by moisture in the air coming into contact with a cold surface and turning back to water.

In the OP Pic, you can see that as its a box shape, glazed, possibly standard double glazed units, that its a cold space.
    First try to eliminate the source of moisture, bathroom, shower, drying clothes, cooking, etc, the answer to this is ventilation. So is the bathroom well ventilated, the shower, is moisture rising from the kitchen, we all breathe out moisture, so are the bedrooms ventilated, ( no heavy breathing ).

Additional insulation will do little, as its the glass units which are cold.

So examine each source of moisture in the home and ventilate to expell it at source.

they look like good pvc window frames,usually its because the windows are so draught proof and no vents/blocked vents in room that causes the problem,ie. no ventilation. the vents may need to be bigger,or if not, the double glazed units in windows could be upgraded to a-rated ones with k-glass inside,opti white outside,warm edge spacer bar, and argon gas.
    assuming that is the existing ones are not arated.if the spacer bar inbetween the 2 panes of glass is silver coloured they are standard ones,arated units have a black (warm edge) spacer bar.

they look like good pvc window frames,usually its because the windows are so draught proof and no vents/blocked vents in room that causes the problem,ie. no ventilation. the vents may need to be bigger,or if not, the double glazed units in windows could be upgraded to a-rated ones with k-glass inside,opti white outside,warm edge spacer bar, and argon gas.
    assuming that is the existing ones are not arated.if the spacer bar inbetween the 2 panes of glass is silver coloured they are standard ones,arated units have a black (warm edge) spacer bar.

Would that cost much?

Keeping an eye on this as we have the exact same problem in our main bedroom..
    We haven't had the heating on in about 3 months.. We don't have an outside vent in the room..
    Will possibly look to put one in if that is the general consensus from the good folk in here!!

Boring a new vent through an existing wall can be tricky.
    Instead I would recommend that you fit what are known as "hit and miss" vents in at least two of the window openings.
    Better still fit two "glazed in "vents on the top of the glass on the extreme left and right of the sections.
    The latter option would be slightly more expensive in that you also have to change the glass.
    A good company in the after sales business, such as "Ardleigh" in Leixlip might be the way to go.
    I am assuming that you are living in the Dublin environs?

new arated units for a window that size will cost about 350 euro, incl. vat supllied and fitted, when can i start? just kiddin, thats a guide price though for what it would cost you to change them. or you could get one of the smaller ones changed to make sure it works?so many factors involved that no one can guarentee it will work, but if it didnt then only cost is for one small unit,about 90 euro.

Boring a new vent through an existing wall can be tricky.
    Instead I would recommend that you fit what are known as "hit and miss" vents in at least two of the window openings.
    Better still fit two "glazed in "vents on the top of the glass on the extreme left and right of the sections.
    The latter option would be slightly more expensive in that you also have to change the glass.
    A good company in the after sales business, such as "Ardleigh" in Leixlip might be the way to go.
    I am assuming that you are living in the Dublin environs?

he already has vents in the room.

they are silver

pvc windows usually have a lock that you can engage when the window is slightly open about 15mm,try using that tonight on one opening only and see if window is clear tomorrow,the you will know that the vent you have in that room is inadequate.

pvc windows usually have a lock that you can engage when the window is slightly open about 15mm,try using that tonight on one opening only and see if window is clear tomorrow,the you will know that the vent you have in that room is inadequate.

I'll try that....if its clear then its the ventelation right???

• Advertisement

possibly yes, let me know how it goes.

possibly yes, let me know how it goes.
    Well I left the window open until about 11pm and no condensation this morning. It must the poor ventelation in room/house

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Well I left the window open until about 11pm and no condensation this morning. It must the poor ventelation in room/house
    the main causes of your condensation
    • ventilation
    • lack of insulation/ thermal bridges ie your windows could have a better U-value, giving a better surface temperature. condensation generally forms on surfaces that are cold.
    • also consider internal moisture gains ie drying clothes, people, kitchen, wc etc
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensation see condensation in buildings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

You mention you don't dry clothes indoors but I still think your condensation is lifestyle linked. You will probably find the source of your condensation in one of the warmest rooms in the house. Is your tumbledrier properly vented? How do you cook? Do you use gas? do you steam food? is there a kettle constantly boiling on a stove? More ventilation in the kitchen during cooking might solve the problem.

Advertisement