Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few Questions regarding .22 pistols

Options
  • 26-09-2011 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

I am a current gun holder and i am looking getting into pistols.

i have been thinking it over for long time and as i am usually shooting a .22 rifle the .22 pistol ammo would be fine as cheap and cheerful.

my issue is regarding 2 firearms i have in mind.

1 - GSG 1911
    2 - Beretta 87 Cheeta.

now both look very nice and i would be happy with either. i would love the browning limited edt or colt/walther model but both are expensive and browning is only 85% scale.

Issue i have is has anoyone got one of these pistols in ireland yet as they are listed as 10 round mags. can you restrict them to meet the law or is the pistol fully locked out as they sold with the larger mag?

cheers for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

With regards to the Beretta: the barrel on the cheetah will be too short to be accepted by the current legislation and will not be well suited to target shooting anyway. You should have a look at the Beretta 87T. It is more or less the same gun but tweaked for target shooting. I am waiting on my license for an 87T; the magazines of which have been restricted to 5 rounds.

I would probably stay away from the 1911 style pistols in a 22. They are not the best around and as they are not on the "approved list" you will end up giving yourself a load of hassle for a pistol that isn't all that good anyway.

Other pistols that lads swear by would be the browning buck marks and 22 rugers.

PS: avoid using the "W" word here. These are all sporting firearms and not intended for such a purpose ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

cheers,

i had tasught that would eb too short.

i am not overly worried about accuracy as i dont intend to win competition just enter for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

john_aero wrote: »
    cheers,

i had tasught that would eb too short.

i am not overly worried about accuracy as i dont intend to win competition just enter for fun.

The fun comes with winning the competitions. :D

This is what I have the Feinwerkbau AW93 I'm not winning but still having fun ;)

AW93inthehand1.jpg
    AW93inthebox2.jpg

cant see the pics in work computer. ya i am looking forward to trying it out. might get into target rifle shooting as well.

was reading though guide lines, where does it state the lenght.size restriction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Buy a ruger mk2/3 , they are reasonably priced and well made and on the stupid "approved list".

• Advertisement

i know petty, but i am not fan of the target style pistols, hence why i was looking ta 1911 and browning as i was always fan of them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

To get a pistol you must have a good, and valid reason for wanting one. The only current reason being accepted is for competition shooting which requires membership to an authorised range.

You may/will have an interview by the Garda Super. You may only have either a rimfire pistol capable of no more than 5 shots or an airpistol.

The SIs you are looking for are;
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

A pistol does not have to be on the approved list i licenced a sig mosquito with no hassle and its not on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    A pistol does not have to be on the approved list i licenced a sig mosquito with no hassle and its not on the list.

That's because the list is a list of models which meet the criteria. It's supposed to be a list of examples, not the list of permitted models. The SIs that Ezri pointed to set out the definitive criteria for whether or not a pistol can be licenced here.

Sparks wrote: »
    That's because the list is a list of models which meet the criteria. It's supposed to be a list of examples, not the list of permitted models. The SIs that Ezri pointed to set out the definitive criteria for whether or not a pistol can be licenced here.

Someone would want to tell the supers that then sparks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rowa wrote: »
    Someone would want to tell the supers that then sparks.
    And that someone is the Firearms Policy Unit - that was the point of setting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

How much would a Ruger mk2/3 set you back new/used?

Blay wrote: »
    How much would a Ruger mk2/3 set you back new/used?

Ring around the dealers both here and up north and see what you can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

You might feel that way now, but you won't have it long before you realize that "only accurate guns are interesting" :)

If you like the 1911 style, you might want to take a look at the Ruger 22/45 - it's a Ruger target pistol like the Mk2/3 but the grip is designed to replicate the feel of the 1911. It still looks like a Ruger but trust me you won't care about that when you get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GreatGayHunter

I am a current gun holder and i am looking getting into pistols.

i have been thinking it over for long time and as i am usually shooting a .22 rifle the .22 pistol ammo would be fine as cheap and cheerful.

my issue is regarding 2 firearms i have in mind.

1 - GSG 1911
    2 - Beretta 87 Cheeta.

now both look very nice and i would be happy with either. i would love the browning limited edt or colt/walther model but both are expensive and browning is only 85% scale.

Issue i have is has anoyone got one of these pistols in ireland yet as they are listed as 10 round mags. can you restrict them to meet the law or is the pistol fully locked out as they sold with the larger mag?

cheers for the help.

Any Update on the GSG 1911, as I'm think of one??? Do we know the minimum Barrel length for a target pistol?

1911 seems to be the 10/22 of Pistols??
    Everyone enjoy Lough Bo at the weekend?? Any winners??
    Cheers.
    G.G.H.

Any Update on the GSG 1911, as I'm think of one??? Do we know the minimum Barrel length for a target pistol?

1911 seems to be the 10/22 of Pistols??
    Everyone enjoy Lough Bo at the weekend?? Any winners??
    Cheers.
    G.G.H.

From what i've heard they aren't very good , made from zinc and built down to a price, plinkers, the real 1911 is the 10/22 of pistols , i had one in .45acp and there was nothing you couldn't buy for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

that list is only a guideline to approved target pistols. it doesnt mean if its not on the list you wont get it. as long as its restricted to 5 rounds its not restricted so then up to ur super. their is pleanty of firearms that arent on the list and have being approved.
    i have shot the 87t and a nice pistol with a lovely trigger. personally im a s&w fan with a model 41 and 617. but it upto urself just look into the pistol before you buy it. dont just buy it because it looks nice it could shoot like ****. just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

dax121 wrote: »
    just look into the pistol before you buy it. dont just buy it because it looks nice it could shoot like ****.

The above by dax121 is very good advice. We all want something that looks cool but coolness will only last for a while. You would be far better off getting a gun that suits you and shoots well, rather than something that looks cool but shoots like sh**e.

There are plenty of good guns out there. I wouldn't limit myself to the two models that you mentioned. Try out a few different guns for feel, weight, comfort etc. Maybe join a club and try out a few different models before you buy. And remember, what suits one shooter might not necessarily suit you. Take your time, buy the right gun, and then you only have to buy once.

Best of luck finding the right gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Measure Ur hands also. Use glove size as an indicator. Hamerelli are sre really nice fit if u have small hands

been doing lot looking and research on the pistols.

GSG 1911 for value is meant be good from what read. again i was hoping get irish reviews too. 1st gen models were having trouble with guide rods and muzzle bearing but they all got upgraded parts.

lot lads in states seem very happy with th gsg over other alloy versionsof the same.

as for target shooting,i will be joining a club, hoping head up nurney for openday and get feel of pistolsand more help.

but as for looks of quality, have to have bit of both, that and i am on very limited budget, with bikes being re built i am really stretching myself even getting pistol

cheers lads for the advice too.

• Advertisement

am i missing somehting, there is a max limit for barrel but no min. lenght so is a compact allowed? cant see them allowing it but there is nothing i found to say you cant????

am i missing somehting, there is a max limit for barrel butnominlenght so is a compact allowed? cant see them allowingit but there is nothing i found to say you cant????

Wrong way round , the barrel has to be 10cm or longer

(iii) other firearms using 0.22 inch long rifle rim fire percussion ammunition provided that the maximum magazine capacity of such a firearm does not exceed five rounds and that the barrel length of the firearm is greater than 10 cm.”.

cheers lad must have been rifle i was looking at for size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Hi John,
    I have a Beretta 87T that I am considering selling / changing for something else if you were interested.
    Great pistol and I have had a hugh amount of fun with it but as I said, thinking about moving on to something else.

cheers, could you send me on some details about your pistol in PM

just cheaking, beretta cheetah is legal right (bar the 10 round mag but all pistols seem have these except one we modify to take 5)

the varrel lenght is 17cm so take it then bar the fact its not on list it perfectly right to own it as long as get the gard to sign it off and limit mag to 5?

i am not trying limit myself too much, more i have done bit reading up and my budget pistol is around the price of the cheetah and 1911.

i must say i am starting to like the beretta 87T as its nice looking gun.

i am trying not let image get in the way but if spending my cash i want to like the the look and performance as well.

hey i am picky i know. but wont be buying anything until get tiem shooting different types

oh is there a limit to number pistols can own? i assume its just 1 restricted fire arm?

also is there issue how many have in house as i know my wife is looking getting one in time as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is legally no limit to the amount of firearms a person can own, how often you apply or how many in the same household own firearms.

Once the security measures are met, and the uper/Chief Super approves it you're good to go.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Ezridax wrote: »
    There is legally no limit to the amount of firearms a person can own, how often you apply or how many in the same household own firearms.

Once the security measures are met, and the uper/Chief Super approves it you're good to go.

Sounds like heaven to me.

Just as a matter of interest, it would be interesting to know - purely from an academic POV - how many on this site have more than 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40 or 50 firearms in their house - not including shotguns or airguns, of course?

tac

• Advertisement

i know lad (not a relation) just some one living not far from me. he has some collection of items. has some security sytem too, but needless say has been broken in more time than the local hooker

Advertisement