Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few Questions regarding .22 pistols

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

tac foley wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, it would be interesting to know - purely from an academic POV - how many on this site have more than 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40 or 50 firearms in their house - not including shotguns or airguns, of course?
    Other than dealers, probably none - none of us are millionaires as far as I know. You can't exclude shotguns and airguns thought, they're not exactly exempt from the law over here and would be included in any count of firearms in your safe.

(BTW, if you had more than ten, you'd have to have a fairly article-worthy example of secure storage...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

At 80 euros a firearm its expensive, it was supposed to be €80 a shooter like it is in the uk and the north but the dept of finance did the sums and decided against it.
    I do know of collectors but they are willing to jump through the hoops and pay the price to become registered gun dealers , even though they never sell anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The majority i would imagine are between 1 - 5 firearms. A percentage in the 5 - 10 mark and few above the 10 mark.

As Sparks said the security measures grow quite substantially once you exceed the 5 firearm mark. My current security measures have probably exceeded the €4,000 mark with monthly/yearly charges for monitoring/service. Thats a choice though. For my benefit not the Gardai's, but the fact that it happens to exceed their requirements is gravy on top.:)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sparks wrote: »
    Other than dealers, probably none - none of us are millionaires as far as I know. You can't exclude shotguns and airguns thought, they're not exactly exempt from the law over here and would be included in any count of firearms in your safe.

(BTW, if you had more than ten, you'd have to have a fairly article-worthy example of secure storage...)

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. Interesting.....

I deliberately excluded shotguns and airguns, instead concentrating on rifled firearms that fire a single projectile using a cartridge containing a flagrating propellant, as it gives me a better understanding of your situation. I won't go into details about what constitutes a firearm as I live in three different countries where the laws are quite different.

Thanks again.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

tac foley wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. Interesting.....

I deliberately excluded shotguns and airguns, instead concentrating on rifled firearms that fire a single projectile using a cartridge containing a flagrating propellant, as it gives me a better understanding of your situation. I won't go into details about what constitutes a firearm as I live in three different countries where the laws are quite different.

Thanks again.

tac

lot depends on local law enforcer, know i guy from home that would argue that you are not allowed hold even a spud gub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

john_aero wrote: »
    just cheaking, beretta cheetah is legal right (bar the 10 round mag but all pistols seem have these except one we modify to take 5)

the varrel lenght is 17cm so take it then bar the fact its not on list it perfectly right to own it as long as get the gard to sign it off and limit mag to 5?

i am not trying limit myself too much, more i have done bit reading up and my budget pistol is around the price of the cheetah and 1911.

i must say i am starting to like the beretta 87T as its nice looking gun.

i am trying not let image get in the way but if spending my cash i want to like the the look and performance as well.

hey i am picky i know. but wont be buying anything until get tiem shooting different types

No, the cheetah has a 9.7 cm barrel. You likely thinking go the 81 target, I think, which was the precursor to the 87 target. This had a longer barrel. To be honest the 87 t is the more modern and upgraded version so if you are set on a beret I'd go for that.

All that being said, don't rush into anything and definitely don't go on looks alone. After you get started you will learn how comfortable and beneficial things like target grips are and you won't care what you're pistol looks like as long as it does what it is supposed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hibrion wrote: »
    you won't care what you're pistol looks like as long as it does what it is supposed to do.
    Especially since when you're using it, all you'll see are the sights anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

^^Absolutely. Remember form follows function - most target-style .22s look kind of similar for a reason.

The 1911 also looks the way it does for a reason - it was designed to fire quite a wide cartridge (.45ACP) and to accommodate a tilting barrel and a robust slide.

I know it's entirely a matter of opinion, but as one who used to feel the same way as you do seem to about aesthetics, I would bet that you'll come to appreciate the looks of something like a Ruger like this once you see how well it works:

WSProdLG_Ruger10140.jpg

It's not that you won't care what it looks like - but you'll grow to appreciate the the way it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

You shouldn't make a decision until you at the very least get to hold some of these firearms. As pointed out earlier, grip size etc. is ver important.

Something else to think about is that you will save a lot of money on a second hand pistol; if you can find one. That's how I ended up with my beretta 87: there just happened to be one in Lambert's when I was down there and I happened to like the feel of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

ah i was looking at total lenght not barrel. cheers

ya i am up in newery on the 9th so going get some time in then with handguns.

hope get good idea what i do/dont like

• Advertisement
Advertisement