Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long term bike storage

• 26-09-2011 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I'm heading off to New Zealand for at least a year this weekend. I decided to hang on to my GSX1400 for my return. It's my second ever bike and it's my baby. If the stars should align such that I might be staying permanently, I'd ship it out before I'd sell it on.

I can keep it at home in my parents' attached garage and I know my Dad could start it once a week or whatever. I'll probably buy another trickle charger for it, too. It was serviced in Spring and probably hasn't done 1,500 miles since.

Are there any other things to take into consideration?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Taken from elsewhere, so not my advice:
    1. Thoroughly clean and polish the bike.
    2. Take it for a last ride. This warms the bike up and removes condensation from the exhausts.
    3. On the way back home, fill the tank. This eliminates as much air as possible from the tank, and helps to prevent rust building up in the tank.
    4. Once back home, turn off the fuel tap and run the engine until the engine stalls. Dry carbs will not clog up with evaporated fuel residues.
    5. Do an oil change with cheapo oil. This includes the filter. Oil 'collects' cumbustion acids and other nasties that could damage some internals. When you bring the bike out of storage in the spring, drain the cheapo oil and put in your regular grade. You can use the filter you put on at storage time.
    6. Try to raise the bike to take the weight of the tyres if possible.
    7. If you can't raise the bike and your floor is concrete, stand the bike on 3/4" plywood. This will offer some protection to the tyre from the cold concrete.
    8. Exposed metal casings, etc, should be wiped down with WD40 or similar to act as a vapour barrier to prevent corrosion.
    9. Either plug or cover your exhaust opening. Rodents will want to hibernate in them (given half a chance).
    10. Lubricate your chain, all pivot points and control cables.
    11. Remove your battery and put it on the bench attached to a bike specific battery tender. If you only have a charger, use the charger once a month for only 24 hours at a time.
    12. Cover the bike with a breathable cover that does not promote condensation. One that covers the bike and goes to the floor would be ideal.
    13. If at all possible, run a small dehumidifier under the cover with the bike. Depending on conditions, the collector tank will need empying every day or once a week.
    14. Get a small tube heater, something like this - http://www.greenhousewarehouse.com/p...be-heater.html. A 2 foot, 60 watt heater will fit nicely under the bike. Rig it to a thermostat so that the heater comes on when the temperature dips too low, (ie 6 degrees). The heater and the dehumidifier will help keep the damp at bay.
    15. You may have to ditch the tank of fuel for fresh stuff in the spring, but it's way cheaper that trying to fix a rusted out tank.

Advertisement