Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Required Please - Sage

Options
  • 26-09-2011 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi Guys,

Bit of a technical question.

Last week I was having some trouble with the PC. Windows offfered some options to "fix" this issue. This involved startup repair wizard, memory checker, hard disk checker. etc I went through all these options and they either came back as failed or repaired.

The last option was dell backup and recovery manager. I clicked this expecting to see some options. To my horror it started deleting the partition table and started preparing to format the drive.

Anyway, I have put the drive in a external caddy and am using a recovery tool. I have managed to get pretty much everything off it. I even managed to recover the Sage folder.

I reinstalled sage on a different pc and thought it would be as easy as copy and paste the old folder with the accounts information. It appears now that it's not that easy.

Has anybody every had to do something similar? Is there a way around it? Perhaps I will have to start again from the begining of the financial year?

Maybe its time to look at cloud accounting? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,802 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Sage support *may* be able to help with this.

It is really important to backup accounts packages like sage.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

you can normally copy in the directories and reinstall.

However Program files are kept in program file directory but the data is normally held in Documents and Settings or Program Data directory, depending on the version of windows you have.

very old versions of sage 50 would of had data in same directory though

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Herbalist

Hi BusinessForums,

I think the first step would be to ascertain if the data is still there. Firstly - do you have a support contract with Sage? If so give them a call asap as they should be able to check the folder for you to determine if the data files are there (in the folder or in another area on the machine) and if so it may just be a case of pointing the software to the right folder or moving folders. Sage can also take the data in for investigation where possible.

Secondly do you have a recent back up at all? If you do then the worst case scenario would be to restore this backup which will move you back to the date it was done and you could work on from there.

Starting again from scratch is always possible but ideally it would be better to try the above and see if you can recover your data.

It is really important with any software that you use that is installed directly onto your machine that you have a secure and frequent back up routine (weekly & monthly backups at the mimimum) to safeguard against anything happening to your PC / laptop and your data. If you are in contact with Sage they will be able to to recommend a backup routine for you.

Advertisement