Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's dogs pooping in garden

• 26-09-2011 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭

My next door neighbour has a number of King Charles dogs. Twice a day she lets them out front of the house for a run around. She does not supervise them.

They frequently poop in my front garden. On a number of occasions I have told the owner and she has cleaned the poop up. Most of the time I just move it myself.

Is there any way I can prevent or discourage the dogs from coming into my garden? Ultrasonic device? Smelly chemicals (would have to be child safe)?

I think that the dog warden has spoken with the owner but she still fails to supervise her dogs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Keep pushing with the dog warden. A dog is only allowed to be unsupervised on the owner's property. If the gardens are adjoined with no barrier, then you're in questionable territory because you could theoretically say that without a boundary fence, you are implicitly giving your permission for the dogs to wander onto your property. But in reality in that case she should be putting up something to keep her dogs on her garden.

Put up a fence or a gate to keep them out of your garden, ask her to go halves on the cost if it's a shared boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭GaryMunster

air rifle

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

air rifle

Ban.
    Killing/harming animals is against the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I had a similar issue, many dogs in my estate are just let roam, I had no fence so they used my garden as a toilet.
    Only way I stopped it was to put up a fence, doesn't have to be expensive, or high, just enough to keep them out.
    I would also keep on to dog warden, they are beginning to see what a nuisance dogs fouling is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭daymobrew

seamus wrote: »
    If the gardens are adjoined with no barrier, then you're in questionable territory
    Gardens are not adjoined. She has a tall (~3 feet high) bush around her garden though it obviously has an opening for the driveway.

We are in a suburban development in Dublin. The estate is very open plan with many shared front gardens (though not in my case) and very very few dividing hedges or fences.

• Advertisement

I saw mentions on the web of using strong smelling items e.g. Jeyes liquid or chilli pepper. I might try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Fill a few 2l coke bottles with water and put them on your garden. For some reason they discourage dogs from pooping.

No idea why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Fill a few 2l coke bottles with water and put them on your garden. For some reason they discourage dogs from pooping.

No idea why.

This does work - again no idea why!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the estate is managed, you could also make a complaint to the management company, as they usually have rules about avoiding nuisance and stuff.

If you're going to try strong smells, avoid anything with ammonia. That'll just make it worse, as they'll try to pee on everything.

Yeah I've found this a good few times myself, there's a phantom crapper who goes in my front garden. Quite annoying really, haven't tried the bottle of water yet though.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    If the estate is managed, you could also make a complaint to the management company, as they usually have rules about avoiding nuisance and stuff.
    Thankfully we don't have a management company.

Advertisement