Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grand Final 2011 - Geelong v Collingwood

• 26-09-2011 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭

Geelong+club+logo.pngcollingwood-magpies-logo11.jpg

So here we are, the Grand Final, and it's the top two sides from 2011 which is only fair really.

After their win over the Hawks it's hard to see past Collingwood, especially with Stevie J now an injury doubt for Geelong. Hopefully it's a closely fought belter with the Cats coming out on top.

If like me you can't stand the Pies then you might like this particular Facebook group -

http://www.facebook.com/pages/2011-AFL-Grand-final-Australia-vs-Collingwood/180506135358345

:pac:

I'll be having my usual flutter on first goalscorer, the Norm Smith and one other category to be decided last minute.

Roll on Saturday!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Do not like them either and hope Geelong do them good but can see Collingwood hitting them hard early and leading all the way. Hope I am wrong.

Anybody know how Paul Cribben has done in the reserves this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

I'm actually extremely pessimistic about this one...we really should have lost against the Hawks and Geelong have looked really good. Hopefully Swanny's Brownlow win will prove an inspiration.

I have a feeling its going to be a classic Grand Final though, the teams are so well matched.

Cribbin played about 9 or 10 games in the reserves this year and was pretty impressive by all accounts. I think he picked up an injury during the year which hindered his progress somewhat. Next year will tell a lot but he could get games if he impresses as the Collingwood list isn't actually that deep and a lot of young lads played this year (Fasolo, Sinclair, Keefe, Rounds etc.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Looking forward to a good game. I think Geelonog have much better form coming into it, and beating Collingwood twice already helps. Also, the fact they came in so good against the Hawks a couple of years back and were caught on the day, I dont see them doing the same again. Would never rule out a very talented Collingwood side though, in Micks last game too. Geelong by 15+ though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Come on the Cats! Geelong to win it by less than 10. Geelong to be regarded as one of the best teams in the history of the game.

Pies by 10 in a cracker...a lot will depend on whether Stevie J plays, if he doesn't its a massive blow to Cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Anyone know of a good stream? I just ordered ESPN online as their sales close at 9pm I'm getting extremely pessimistic that it won't come until their sales team start at 9am again :confused:

vipbox.tv should have it.

otherwise go to veetle.com and take a look, there's usually streams on there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Geelong what a fúcking win! They must be considered one of the best if not the very best team in the history of the game. Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Deeeeeeelighted :D

Hate the bloody Pies and for a while it looked like the umpires were going to hand them another game. Wellingham's effort off the post was clear as day, couldn't believe it was given.

Hawkins did superb as the lone tall when J Pod went off and Bartel fully deserved the Norm Smith, fantastic players and seems like a top bloke.

Awesome game with the right result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

bartel was the main reason geelong won. several times when things were looking bad for geelong he popped with a mark or a goal. hawkins had a brilliant game aswell. first three quarters were outstanding

• Advertisement

Gutted...

But Geelong deserved it, had that extra little bit when it mattered. Bartel is just unbelievable the epitome of a big game player, a deserving Norm Smith medalist and now one of the most decorated players of all time.

A couple of things specifically won it for Geelong:

- Pods going off actually suited Geelong, Collingwood couldn't rebound anywhere near as well with an extra small in there.

- Cloke was killing Taylor, Taylor moved onto Dawes and was outstanding, Lonergan destroyed Cloke. Contrast that with how long it took Mick to move clearly unfit Reid off Hawkins when he had Tarrant playing on Stevie J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

the goal that cloke got from the boundary line out on the left with his left foot was an absolutely superb kick. Once Geelong got to grips with Cloke Collingwood had no answer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Just finished watching the game there.. f*cking Delighted :D

Jimmy Bartel was outstanding and thoroughly deserved the Norm Smith. The winning of the game was Geelong holding on to and then pegging back Collingwood in the 2nd quarter, and Hawkins grabbing everything that came his way in the second half. Shocking that Ben Reid was left looking at him for so long. Stevie Johnson was quality too.

Chris Scott deserves huge credit for reinvigorating what looked like an aging and fading list a year ago. They lost Gary Ablett and just got better with young players like Christensen to the fore. The Cats look set to be in the mix for a few years yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

good game to watch. the first 3 quarters were immense, and I was surprised to see Collingwood fade so bad in the last. their big time players went really quiet and did nothing when they needed them most. Geelong were under serious pressure coming up to half time, but snatched a couple of goals to steady the ship and drove on then. Hawkins was excellent, and in midfield, Bartel Mackie and Selwood got through a serious amount of contested ball. Although I expected geelong to win by 15+, I didnt think it would be as comfortable finish as it ended. Delighted for them though, it was s tough year to try 'rebuild' but they brought through some good young players and gave them game time.

from an eagles point of view, it just shows that they can compete with the best, and as klong as next year keeps moving the way this one did, there is no reasonw e cant be back up at the top. Just make sure of consolidating the finals spot and dont do a freo on it.

Advertisement