Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Equipment, Changing Monitoring

Options
  • 26-09-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, here is an interesting question. No one I know has been able to answer this so here it is for a larger forum. Looking for some help.

I purchased an alarm system from a company wireless/monitored/GSM module about a year ago. Now (for some reason), if I want to change the monitoring company but keep my equipment, is it possible to do that?

If yes, do you know a company that would provide GSM enabled monitoring i.e. not requiring a land line / service of equipment etc without having to buy the equipment from them?

RV263

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most reputable monitoring stations will only accept GSM monitoring (I presume that's what you mean) for Garda response if you sign a disclaimer saying you have been made aware of the risks re GSM jamming.
    Providing you bought the equipment & you didn't get it from free or its not leased or rented to you then you can keep it & use it. It may also be the case that the monitoring company own the SIM & pay the mobile bill. However you can replace the SIM with your own.
    A little more info would help me tell you more.
    Who were you monitored by? What contracts did you sign.
    I am amazed that as little as a year ago you were still sold a GSM unit for central station monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RV263

GSM is what I meant, thanks.

I bought the equipment by paying the full amount upfront. It is a wireless system (Wisdom) from RISCO. I went for a GSM module as I did not have a landline (and did not want it).

The Garda monitoring was arranged by the security company.

I don't remember signing a lot of contracts but I can call and ask. I think the only clause was a 1year stay with the company for monitoring which I do not care much about.

So, what I want to do is. Switch monitoring so that I have the peace of mind + someone who could service my equipment from time to time. Does that make sense?

RV

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes. All that could be done by any licensed company willing to set up central station monitoring over GSM. Back to the disclaimer I mentioned above. The latest I am hearing is that within the next year the insurance companies & the guards will be changing their policy on GSM monitoring.

Ouch! I went for GSM/GPRS module because the only landline in our area was Eircom and they charge a ridiculous amount per month, I think €25 or something for a phone which I do not use.

R

Despite what Eircom say , you can use any phone provider to connect a monitored alarm. We are switching lines to UPC every week, despite Eircom saying it does not work. There are also plenty of VOIP units that eill give an analouge phone line out. These will work also.

• Advertisement

There is no UPC phone line in our area. Can you suggest the VOIP units that would give the analogue line out. Many thanks.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 39 C.TECH

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

RV263 wrote: »
    There is no UPC phone line in our area. Can you suggest the VOIP units that would give the analogue line out. Many thanks.

R

You can have the system monitored over IP. WebwayOne have this set up in Ireland. It is polled every 90 seconds.

Advertisement