Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console Advice: for xmas

Options
  • 26-09-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi,

First as a parent with no gaming background at all, I'm hoping people here can help me decide what route to take. I'm aware the whole xbox vs Ps3 vs Wii debate is frowned upon but I do need some guidance, so your thoughts would be much appreciated.

So basically we have kids who are now in the 4 & 7 year age bracket. The eldest suffers from DCD (http://www.dyspraxiadcdcork.ie/) and so we were thinking a gaming console might be of assistance to the child wrt to motor skills/development, and of course it will also be entertainment & an introduction to technology etc.. :-)

So questions I've to consider:

1) Free movement vs console controller? I guess I'm asking should we consider the likes of kinect on the xbox or the wii interactive experience? or would both types of system interaction be welcomed for the kids development?

2) With that age bracket: Game selection? I dont know what people expect to be the life span of a console but am looking for one that lasts its purpose and have suitable games for the kids ages over that lifespan?

3) I read that ps3 is also a blu-ray reader, but another think to consider (outside of the unit being a game console) is I have both a HTPC and a WHS 2011 server at home (used to record TV, pictures, music, kids DVDs etc) so would like to incorporate a use for the device from that perspective?

I know these are sort of open ended questions but I want to get an understanding of the route to take before the xmas rush commences & with the hope that there will be some deals for the xmas period.

Thanks
    W.

PS: As there doesnt seem to be a cross console forum, I've cross posted to the relevant console forum(s).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Hi,
    1) Free movement vs console controller? I guess I'm asking should we consider the likes of kinect on the xbox or the wii interactive experience? or would both types of system interaction be welcomed for the kids development?

I would recommend Kinect when buying with children in mind. It will take away the headaches presented by the fact that a lot of the biggest standard X Box titles are 16+. As regards Kinect vs Wii, the Wii is a waste at this stage IMO. For one thing, it restricts you mostly to ONLY having the motion control option whereas X Box doesn't, and there is a new console due next year so it is a slight step backwards

2) With that age bracket: Game selection? I dont know what people expect to be the life span of a console but am looking for one that lasts its purpose and have suitable games for the kids ages over that lifespan?

Again as said above, Kinect opens up the range to perfectly suitable games for the age bracket, plus whatever downloadable titles are made available over the next while. Remember, Kinect is still less than a year on the market, there's plenty to come. As for the age suitability on the Wii, it can be misleading to see that most Wii games are 3+. From my experiencing selling these products, kids buy Mario games and nothing else. Buy a Wii and you will have a shelve occupied with 7 Mario games and not much more.

3) I read that ps3 is also a blu-ray reader, but another think to consider (outside of the unit being a game console) is I have both a HTPC and a WHS 2011 server at home (used to record TV, pictures, music, kids DVDs etc) so would like to incorporate a use for the device from that perspective?

In this neighbourhood the Wii is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. The PS3 and X Box will both serve media playback and streaming quite well, though the PS3 will have the upper hand in it's media support and general power overall.

Shocking I know to get a glowing recommendation for X Box in the X Box forum! :D Genuinely though I'm just going on what I've noticed from nephews/nieces playing consoles and what takes off in work. The PS3 is a killer machine, no doubt about it, but will it tick enough boxes with regard to your needs? Doubt it unfortunately. A good 20GB Kinect bundle sounds like it would suit best.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The PS3 is far and away in the lead when it comes to it's AV options.

PS3 Move is essentially a better version of the Wii for PS3, but the range of games for it is quite limited right now.

That being said, there are probably the same amount of regular games for that age bracket on PS3 and 360 right now.

360 has Kinect which is great for kids, but can be a pain if you don't have the space or the lighting is off as it will keep trying to recalibrate.

The range of games is better for Kinect than Move.

Both consoles have good family control options.

The Wii is miles ahead when it comes to child friendly games, but has no real other functions than being a games console.

Won't mention online play as it's doubtful you'll want kids that age playing online anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

360 has Kinect which is great for kids, but can be a pain if you don't have the space or the lighting is off as it will keep trying to recalibrate.

+1 actually, forgot about this. Absolutely crucial that you are completely setup with the space for Kinect!

Advertisement