Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Term Unemployed & Want To Start A Business

Options
  • 26-09-2011 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi all!

I have an interest in starting my own business in Drogheda. Reckon I am eligible for the back to work allowance but am curious about grant availability for starting up my own business also? & will the website grant also be eligible?

Tried ringing social welfare many times but no answer & have been unable to call into them due to further education commitments Monday-Friday during open hours & am unsure if taking a day off to call into them would be justified or if there's someone more specific that can provide me the advice I need?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

To be honest, you need to go directly to the source for this kind of information, as your particular circumstances will have an impact. General advice on a messageboard can be misleading. E-mail Social Welfare if you can only make contact out of hours. Also contact Enterprise Ireland and the local Enterprise Boards as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 BlueArsedFly

Just saw your reply. Thanks, good advice & will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Try the business section of boards. You will get great advice on the back to work enterprise there and it aint misleading and very accurate as a lot of people there have already taken that route you want to go down.

jammy

Drogheda Social Welfare don't appear to have an email address ffs!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Drogheda Social Welfare don't want to be contacted <_< I've often spent days trying to ring them to ask the most basic of questions.

Out of interest, what business are you thinking of starting up? I admire your get-up-and-go in actually doing something like this. I've always wanted to start up my own book store but don't have a clue where (or, more importantly, if) I'd get the finances :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Drogheda Social Welfare don't appear to have an email address ffs!

Best to use the contact form on the website. This may be better than asking at the local office.
    Try the business section of boards. You will get great advice on the back to work enterprise there and it aint misleading and very accurate
    By all means but (no disrespect intended) it is important, on issues concerning the department, that you get the right information and it certainly differs with each person's circumstances. I wouldn't expect the OP to give all his details here on Boards, so the only advice here will be general and perhaps not specific to himself. That's all I meant.:)

Drogheda Social Welfare don't want to be contacted <_< I've often spent days trying to ring them to ask the most basic of questions.

Out of interest, what business are you thinking of starting up? I admire your get-up-and-go in actually doing something like this. I've always wanted to start up my own book store but don't have a clue where (or, more importantly, if) I'd get the finances :P

Commercially sensitive so can't tell, alas. Dying to tell the world, though! Always lots of time to shamelessly self promote to the max once I've got things up & running. :)

Best to use the contact form on the website. This may be better than asking at the local office.

Couldn't find a form specific to Drogheda but filled in & sent one from Social Welfare main site.

Thanks!

Advertisement