Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs v Rovers - Match Thread (football talk only)

Options
  • 26-09-2011 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Right lads, this thread is for the football stuff ;)
    Great occasion to have SRFC coming to WHL.
    Im sure the away fans will make it a good atmosphere.

It would be nice to have the likes of gallas,lennon and rose around to get a game in to, doubtful unfortunately. Hopefully Sandro can get another 90 mins under his belt.

It's live on Chan 5 for those of us not going :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Genuinely hope the rovers supporters enjoy their trip to the home of football

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Not too sure who is fit or not, so is hard to predict a team. Am guessing it could be Cudicini, Corluka, Bassong, Gallas, Townsend, Falque, Livermore, Sandro, Carroll, Kane and Gio. And as hatch mentioned, maybe Lennon Rose and another couple to get some gametime.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Come On The Hoops! You guys are actually going to support Spurs against one of our own clubs? Unless of course you may be Londoners living here which is fair enough! The game is live on TV3 as well as streamed online:

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=europaleague

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

Gingko wrote: »
    Come On The Hoops! You guys are actually going to support Spurs against one of our own clubs? Unless of course you may be Londoners living here which is fair enough! The game is live on TV3 as well as streamed online:

Read the description mate. Dont start that crap off again.

Great to see Rovers heading to The Lane and hopefully it's a good game and not too one sided.
    Looking forward to seeing the likes of Iaqo Falque and Tom Carroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

i think whatever team we have out should be more than enough to win comfortably with

COYS

• Advertisement

"WE will stuff em" "Mate" hilarious stuff!

I hope its a good game played fair by both sides as do I hope the atmosphere will be friendly and passes of without incident which I'm sure it will. Enjoy

"WE will stuff em" "Mate" hilarious stuff!

I hope its a good game played fair by both sides as do I hope the atmosphere will be friendly and passes of without incident which I'm sure it will. Enjoy

what are you on about? its not like we're playing any of the milan sides again:D , we will have a bunch of kids playing against rovers, its a nothing game for us.

We more interested in sunday and Arsenal at home.

It's not even annoying me! Your mindset is completely ridiculous. Playing into marketing and consumerism instead of building up your own communities. Weak minded! "WE" "US" Grow up! Support your own communities and economy first. :)

(Apologies to hatch99! I have absolutely nothing against Spurs what so ever.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can we move some of these posts to the other thread, which was already destroyed by similar talk? And lets keep this, as Hatch had asked, to the game itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

It's not even annoying me! Your mindset is completely ridiculous. Playing into marketing and consumerism instead of building up your own communities. Weak minded! "WE" "US" Grow up! Support your own communities and economy first. :)

(Apologies to hatch99! I have absolutely nothing against Spurs what so ever.)

Gingko/Berba/All, football talk and thats it ;)

I have no bother deleting every thread relating to this game if need be, no skin off my nose, I just think it would be quite childish to have to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

I think Rovers will be well organised and quite defensive in the way they set up. They will get a huge lift from their fans and this combined with a very young spurs team should make it interesting.

Looking forward to the game, wishing away the hours till I get to airport on Thurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I can see it going one of two ways myself. Rovers will play the game of their lives and nick a 1-0 win/ maybe a draw or even with the young players out we'll stick five past them. Im looking forward to it now. Anyone going?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Gingko/Berba/All, football talk and thats it ;)

I have no bother deleting every thread relating to this game if need be, no skin off my nose, I just think it would be quite childish to have to do so.

No need for that, just a red card for Gingko.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Right lads, this thread is for the football stuff ;)

sadly, it doesn't look like that's possible (again)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

brilliant achievement by rovers to get this far. also possibly an ideal draw to pull what most would consider the best english team in the tournament in their group.( i am only speculating what the nuetral would say)

i for one was delighted for them but was very disappointed with there match against rubin, not so much the result but they got a bit of success with the long ball and then continued to pump the ball from defence and hope to play off scraps. i thought that day was gone outta league of ireland.

i see a mainly reserve team out for spurs and a home win. great experience as i said for rovers players and fans alike and i hope they enjoy the night and wish them the best of luck in their european adventure.

maybe one day we can meet in the champions league soon!!

keane=cock wrote: »
    brilliant achievement by rovers to get this far. also possibly an ideal draw to pull what most would consider the best english team in the tournament in their group.( i am only speculating what the nuetral would say)

i for one was delighted for them but was very disappointed with there match against rubin, not so much the result but they got a bit of success with the long ball and then continued to pump the ball from defence and hope to play off scraps. i thought that day was gone outta league of ireland.

i see a mainly reserve team out for spurs and a home win. great experience as i said for rovers players and fans alike and i hope they enjoy the night and wish them the best of luck in their european adventure.

maybe one day we can meet in the champions league soon!!

They played Pats in the league on the Monday night before the Rubin game. The usual FAI not helping matters! They are up to their necks with league games on the run in. That said Rubin are a class side and an oil rich club! They will top group if Spurs don't take it seriously? If you watched the Partizan games you would of seen some good football been played. As well as the second half away to Copenhagen.

Better prepared this time although they are missing Ken Oman at the back. I don't think anyone can really call this one? If Spurs score in the first 20mins or so then they will go on to win it comfortably. If not? It's game on! Rovers are better then Hearts for sure though. Far more confident and fitter too. Some goals and fair play would be nice. And new friendships made on the night :)

They will top group if Spurs don't take it seriously?

i think 'arry would be quite happy to finish second to Kazan with the 2nd string playing throughout the group stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mick Leech

Get used to it Gingko. So many people living in Ireland pander to the gloss and hype of the EPL.
    I don't deny it is a higher standard but a lot of what is served up would be quite ordinary on many occassions. The creme de la creme is what is on view.
    I've fought this battle over and over again with Irish supporters of english football. Supporting a team calls for a lot more than non participation in the financial footing of the club you claim to follow.

I admire the fans in england who follow their clubs the length and breadth of the country, that is not lip service.

Hypothetically, take a club jersey off a EPL player and put an England shirt on them and put them up against a Republic of Ireland team...how will they react to the England team that might have one or more of"their club" players????

However put a LOI team up against "their team" and they will support the EPL team.

This is not aimed at Irish based Spurs[have a soft spot for spurs, but not this week] fans per say but the general EPL supporter who lives in Ireland and berates the domestic league.

Get behind the Hoops, their from your country. KOH

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Mick Leech wrote: »
    Get used to it Gingko. So many people living in Ireland pander to the gloss and hype of the EPL.
    I don't deny it is a higher standard but a lot of what is served up would be quite ordinary on many occassions. The creme de la creme is what is on view.
    I've fought this battle over and over again with Irish supporters of english football. Supporting a team calls for a lot more than non participation in the financial footing of the club you claim to follow.

I admire the fans in england who follow their clubs the length and breadth of the country, that is not lip service.

Hypothetically, take a club jersey off a EPL player and put an England shirt on them and put them up against a Republic of Ireland team...how will they react to the England team that might have one or more of"their club" players????

However put a LOI team up against "their team" and they will support the EPL team.

This is not aimed at Irish based Spurs[have a soft spot for spurs, but not this week] fans per say but the general EPL supporter who lives in Ireland and berates the domestic league.

Just ignore...then no problem!

Firstly, welcome to boards Mick, your first ever post !
    Secondly, if you kindly read the OP, this is for football talk, keep all other debates to the relevant forums.

Much Appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭HigsBoson

Going on our away form over the last 2 campaigns and the fact Spurs will hopefully field a second string team, I don't believe a draw is beyond us. I don't think a comfortable 4 or 5 goal defeat should be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

HigsBoson wrote: »
    Going on our away form over the last 2 campaigns and the fact Spurs will hopefully field a second string team, I don't believe a draw is beyond us. I don't think a comfortable 4 or 5 goal defeat should be expected.

"US" means Spurs in these here parts my friend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭HigsBoson

larry1 wrote: »

Ok.

Ok.

No it is not! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I'll be playing a game of footie:( Should I pull a Dazza for this one:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

I'm a rovers season ticket holder and spurs fan too. I can only see this game going one way spurs to win by a two goal margin i'd say. The gulf really is huge between the two But hopefully rovers give a good account of themselves maybe nick a goal. Rohan Ricketts will be returning to the lane too, for those of you who remember him he palyed a good bit under hoddle

He did an article for extratime.ie this week(Also scored his 1st goal for the hoops against Bray on Sunday)
    http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/6750/white-hart-reunion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mick Leech

Firstly, welcome to boards Mick, your first ever post !
    Secondly, if you kindly read the OP, this is for football talk, keep all other debates to the relevant forums.

Much Appreciated.

Thank you for your welcome, my comments with all due respect are football related, last time I noticed football fans are the core of football, players come and go as do managers but the fans are always there.

On the game on Thursday night I hope everyone has a blast.
    Looking forward to seeing the inside of WHL because from the outside, ie tv it always looks like the genuine article, a real footie stadium with character not like some of the oversized impersonal looking arenas like
    Arsenals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

larry1 wrote: »

FOOTBALL TALK :)

Thank you for your welcome, my comments with all due respect are football related, last time I noticed football fans are the core of football, players come and go as do managers but the fans are always there.

The thread is only for comments relating to this game. Any comments you want to make relating to football in general or the issues you mentioned in your post can be dicussed in the relevant forum.

Anyway , lets move on, good luck on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

How do you think you will set up, 4-5-1 to try and stop spurs playing and rely on long ball or have a go. If you can have a go and keep the intensity up I think you could unsettle some of the spurs youngsters making for an interesting game. I dont disagree with you that a draw is a possibility.

Really hope you enjoy the night, WHL is a proper stadium. You are right on top of the pitch and the fact that the away section is right beside park lane where most the noise comes from means there hopefully will be a bit of banter. Looking forward to it now.

From the club word is that they are expecting 31,000 for this game mainly because season ticket holders get the first 2 cup games included in ticket price and this is the second of those. They are only expecting 18,000 for the other two games...

Advertisement