Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defacto questions

Options
  • 26-09-2011 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm in the process of applying for a defacto - we've gathered all the documents together with some photos, postcards, invites. I'm a little bit confused as what I need certified and who can certify docs for me. I'm of the opinion that only official documents (birth cert, passports) need to be. But I could be wrong.

eg. I've got a letter from an old friend who knew us in London and I wrote for his magazine - it's just a letter - does this have to be certified. I'm sending in the original letter not a copy.

Also is a peace commissioner good enough for certifying.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Tieko

Only photocopies of official documents need to be certified, for example passports, bill statements. No need to get your love letters certified. To be honest they don't really care about that, it is more so proof that you have been living together not that you are actually a couple

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Letters from family members saying you are a couple, have been a couple for x years etc were accepted when I took this route in 1999. No need to have them certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lostinros

Thanks for that information. One last thing should I go to a solicitor for certification or a Peace commissioner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Tieko

A peace commissioner is fine,a solicitor might charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

We're in the process of this and I had sent letters from both our parents but was then told they need to be certified. I have just sent the last of the documents requested and it should all be submitted this week (going through an agent) does anyone know how long it generaslly takes? We are together 6 years and have a daughter together, Not sure if this would make the process any quicker,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

lostinros wrote: »
    I'm in the process of applying for a defacto - we've gathered all the documents together with some photos, postcards, invites. I'm a little bit confused as what I need certified and who can certify docs for me. I'm of the opinion that only official documents (birth cert, passports) need to be. But I could be wrong.

eg. I've got a letter from an old friend who knew us in London and I wrote for his magazine - it's just a letter - does this have to be certified. I'm sending in the original letter not a copy.

Also is a peace commissioner good enough for certifying.

Generally only official documents like birth certs, copy of passport etc need to be certified. Certified means you make a photocopy and bring it to the relevant person (solicitor etc in Ireland, pharmacist or JP in Australia), they verify that it is a true copy, stamp it and sign it.

If you got a letter from a family member or friend, generally DIAC want you to have it on one of their offical forms (form 888 Statutory Declaration for my partner visa 309/100).
    Maybe they will accept it just as a letter but...
    It must be signed by the person. They normally want it witnessed. That is you bring it and the person that wrote it to a solicitor or if in Australia? (pharmacist/solicitor/JP) and that official person witnesses the person making the declaration and signing it, then they sign it.

Pharmacists in Ireland don't have the same powers as in Australia. In Australia they are all mostly JP's as well, Justice of the Peace, and can witness/certify your documents free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Princess_N wrote: »
    We're in the process of this and I had sent letters from both our parents but was then told they need to be certified. I have just sent the last of the documents requested and it should all be submitted this week (going through an agent) does anyone know how long it generaslly takes? We are together 6 years and have a daughter together, Not sure if this would make the process any quicker,

What visa are you going for?

My boyfriend is sponsored by his job and me and our daughter are going de facto on his sponsorship,

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RebelQS

What exactly do you need to prove to get a defacto visa? And what is acceptable as evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RebelQS wrote: »
    What exactly do you need to prove to get a defacto visa? And what is acceptable as evidence?
    You have to prove that you have been living together in the same fashion as husband and wife for at least 6-12 months. This is slightly more than simply being boyfriend and girlfriend.

• Advertisement

RebelQS wrote: »

We had to send bills payslips letters etc showing we have been living together, Photo's of us together over the past few years, phone records to show how much we are in contact, statements from our parents, A reference letter from our landlord here in oz, wedding and party invites addressed to us both as a couple.
    Also my boyfriend had to make me the beneficiary on his superanuition.

Hopefully our agent is submitting our application today or Monday so I will keep you posted on how long it takes,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If you need docs certified do the following.

1:Call your local police station

2: Ask what time they have a justice of the peace there

3: Attend the station at that those times. Bring some id

Certify everything its the safe thing to do.

Note if the JP is not there ask the cop on the desk if he/she will do it. They are normally helpfull as long as you dont have a mountain of documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The IT person in my office is a JP.
    So is my local chemist. Might be an option if the JP isn't around at the station

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

A quick search on the internet will provide you with a list of all JPs in your state. You just need to contact one that is local to you and make a time to visit. You will have plenty of choice when it comes to JPs in your area.

Advertisement