Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

library services for house-bound people

Options
  • 26-09-2011 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm currently on a forced rest and cannot leave the house. I'm lucky to have loads of reading that needs catching up, and my friends and husband get me some new reading material too. However, that got me thinking about people who are house bound for long periods with no access to the Internet or books. Is there such a thing as a mobile library that visits people and brings them books or DVDs, takes orders, etc? We have a mobile library coming to our estate weekly, but you still need to get out to reach it. I'm thinking of elderly people, or disabled or sick who would benefit from this service. If it doesn't yet exist, I'll contact the county council and see if it can be done, but I want to make sure that it's not already set up

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I'm not sure where you are based but Fingal County Council have a housebound service.

I would be very surprised if the other Dublin Authorities don't provide that service.

Can't speak for the rest of the country though.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Thanks for your answer. It's good to know that people are taken care of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They're not cheap, but if you can get a 3G Kindle, you can download books directly to it without an internet connection in the house.

Probably not suitable for older people, and you do need to get your hands on it in the first place, but still might suit some people in that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Hi OP,

where do you live? Dublin City Public Libraries operate a housebound service and people can get in touch with them through their nearest library, just give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Eoin wrote: »
    Probably not suitable for older people, and you do need to get your hands on it in the first place, but still might suit some people in that scenario.

Actually they are very suitable. They're lighter than books which is great if you have arthritis in hands and or arms and come with the ability to change the font size at the touch of a button great if your eyesight is declining. My brother bought my 69 year old mother one last spring and she loves it. I'd highly recommend it for any older readers on your xmas list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Good point - I think maybe I meant it might be a harder sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Thanks for all your answers. As mentioned, this service would not have been for myself but I wanted to know whether it existed or not, because if it hadn't I would have set it up. Great to see that it's already in place

SBWife, I'll take on your advice on the 3G Kindle, I'll get one for my granny, she is 84 and an avid reader.

Advertisement