Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a fireplace without a mantel piece

• 26-09-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I’m having difficulty getting someone to fit a specific fireplace for me. The problem is, most fitters I’ve contacted are aligned with a fireplace suppliers, and I don’t want to buy a fireplace. Ive described what I want below. Just to note, I don’t really need the fireplace to be that efficient, its only for lighting a fire the sit in front the odd weeknight. It’s a small sitting room, and has central heating.

What is currently there:
    I removed the old fireplace and hearth. It was one of those mammoth marble and cement ones, I had some job getting rid of it

It’s basically just an empty space now. The space is about 40 inches wide. It is an old fireplace, so previously had one of those really large fireplaces (even though it is a small room). For this reason, the flu is very high, starts maybe 60 inches from the floor.

There is no hearth at present, just the concrete below it. And the wall is plastered so that only a 20inch by 30 inch hole is showing. (There’s nothing behind the plaster, it’s basically ok to cut away).

Would it be possible to do the following...

Put in a hearth as flush to the floor as possible. Maybe just a couple of slate tiles used?

A 32 inch wide by 25 inch high hole in the plaster. Kind of a fairly wide fireplace. And for this hole surrounding to be tiled, or get the metal surrounding if necessary.

In the fireplace, just have the firewall each side, not a fireback.
    Be able to just put a fire basket in the fireplace?

I’m finding it hard to find images of what I want on the internet, when I get home I will upload a few photos of what’s there at the moment.

I appreciate any feedback, and am sorry for the amount of vagueness above.

Advertisement