Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Box or PlayStation 3

Options
  • 26-09-2011 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

HI Guys,

hope you can help here. I am basically looking for some honest opinions on what console i should consider in terms of my needs.

1. I am not sure about online gaming and have no broadband at home but may consider it down the line

2. I will be mostly be playing sports titles, FIFA, EA Hockey, Tiger Woods etc etc

3. Not an endless amount of money, limit of about €250

4. Like the idea of the motion stuff for the kids (Kinect or the other one ??)

Thanks in advance guys

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I can't speak for everyone, but from my own point of view:

Myself and my two brothers use both the consoles (owned by the youngest).

Xbox is used most, it has the edge on graphics in cross-platform games, the controllers are far more ergonomic.

Multiplayer is far superior over xbox live. It's a case of "you get what you pay for".

Xbox has more of the exclusive titles that we would play, the only one on PS3 that I enjoy is Uncharted. Have a look at the exclusives and see which ones might swing it for you.

The PS3 is rarely used now except as a Blu Ray player.

I haven't used Kinect so I can't comment. As a media player, I think the PS3 is a nice package, as a pure games console though (more so if you plan on playing online a lot) then the xbox is the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

SpionJoe wrote: »
    HI Guys,

hope you can help here. I am basically looking for some honest opinions on what console i should consider in terms of my needs.

1. I am not sure about online gaming and have no broadband at home but may consider it down the line

2. I will be mostly be playing sports titles, FIFA, EA Hockey, Tiger Woods etc etc

3. Not an endless amount of money, limit of about €250

4. Like the idea of the motion stuff for the kids (Kinect of the other ??)

Thanks in advance guys

Joe

Opinions, not facts below ( I have both consoles):

1: Xbox has the best online gaming, in my opinion. If you want to do that down the road, Xbox is better.

2: Those games are on both, and indistinguishable.

3: I think the Xbox is cheaper.

4: No idea about the motion stuff.

I find the Xbox interface friendlier and easier to use, with the family control settings more accessible from the getgo.

If I wasn't that interested in internet, I'd probably get the PS3, I think it strill has a little more grunt than the 360, and the newer top end games (I THINK) will probably be a wee bit better graphically on that, all other things being equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

See thread here for a similar discussion :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056397729

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Opinions, not facts below ( I have both consoles):

1: Xbox has the best online gaming, in my opinion. If you want to do that down the road, Xbox is better.

2: Those games are on both, and indistinguishable.

3: I think the Xbox is cheaper.

4: No idea about the motion stuff.

I find the Xbox interface friendlier and easier to use, with the family control settings more accessible from the getgo.

If I wasn't that interested in internet, I'd probably get the PS3, I think it strill has a little more grunt than the 360, and the newer top end games (I THINK) will probably be a wee bit better graphically on that, all other things being equal.

I don't want to go OT too much, but this is not fact, it is opinion. The cell processor has more horsepower in terms of floating point operations per second. In terms of real world graphics for games, the xbox has the edge.

Look at any side-by-side comparison of a PS3 versus XBOX title and you will see the PS3 is graphically inferior. Often times it is just the anti-aliasing that is amiss, other times it is a more serious glitch.

What it comes down to is that games developers HATE coding for the PS3, whereas the xbox is basically a PC. That is fact.

How long into the PS3 life cycle are we? If you think that "further down the line" PS3 games will be noticeably better then you are kidding yourself. The PS3 is a fantastic machine, it's just not a great console.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I don't want to go OT too much, but this is not fact, it is opinion. The cell processor has more horsepower in terms of floating point operations per second. In terms of real world graphics for games, the xbox has the edge.

Look at any side-by-side comparison of a PS3 versus XBOX title and you will see the PS3 is graphically inferior. Often times it is just the anti-aliasing that is amiss, other times it is a more serious glitch.

What it comes down to is that games developers HATE coding for the PS3, whereas the xbox is basically a PC. That is fact.

How long into the PS3 life cycle are we? If you think that "further down the line" PS3 games will be noticeably better then you are kidding yourself. The PS3 is a fantastic machine, it's just not a great console.

Dude, the first line I say it's opinion, not fact. I'm not sure that you need to point it out again, as I do it several times.

Edit:
    Wait, if you mean what you are saying is fact, not opinion, then whatever, I guess. I've seen things claiming Portal 2 is better on PS3, much as other games are better on 360. I know how people prefer developing for the 360. It's not a topic I'm sufficiently exercised about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

I would choose x-box as the ps3 network is totally unreliable. Half way through a game , it will clap out, its been going on for months now.

Advertisement