Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Not Recieving IP Address

Options
  • 26-09-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi guys, I'm sure this is asked alot, but I'm completely puzzled by it. Any help would be great.

I got UPC last week with a wired modem since I had a Wireless Access Point, Dlink 2100ap. I plugged it into the modem and it seemed to work fine with laptops and phones, but my PS3 couldnt retrieve an IP address through DHCP, and when I used static addressing, it could recieve an IP but it couldnt access the internet.

I included a 8-port switch between the Access Point and the modem, so the PS3 would be on a wired connection. So now the PS3 works and the Access point works with some laptops but not others.

On the laptop that doesnt work, I'm getting a 169.x.x.x address, so I take it that it cant get an IP address from the Access Point, even though other laptops work fine and when I use static addressing, I can access the router but cannot access the internet even with the DNS setting that the PS3 and working laptops use. What's funny is, just before the weekend, the laptop had no problems.

So any ideas?? I'll list what I have tried so far:
    *Restored Access point to factory settings
    *Updated firmware for Access Point
    *Updated NIC driver
    *Static addressing
    ....and pretty much all the stuff you would initially do.(Power Resets, cable changes etc.)

Advertisement