Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog feeding issue

• 26-09-2011 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

We have our dog (9 month old Collie Cross) three weeks now and he's being fed on Burns Chicken and Rice. I'm giving him the recommended daily amount (i.e. 15grams per kilo of body weight which is 15 grams x 14 kilos = 210 grams a day) but he still appears to be ravenous.

This became an issue yesterday when my 20 month old son went outside chewing on a biscuit. Our dog ran over to him, jumped up on him and tried to get the biscuit. I ran outside when I saw this happening and pulled the dog off my son. He had been badly scratched on his face just under his eye and down his cheeks by the Dog's claws. Needless to say, I was not impressed and the dog got a strong talking to:mad:

However, now I've calmed down, I'm wondering if he is getting enough to eat? This Burns food comes highly recommended but it doesn't appear to be satisfying his hunger. Our Dog was abandoned by his previous owner and we got him from a rescue centre. He's a good natured dog but yesterday's incident has made me suspicious of his behaviour. All of my previous dogs would sit and wait until "released" to eat their food. This Dog dives in as soon as the food hits the bowl. Should I give him more to eat or does this run the risk of making him fat/ill?

BTW, He's outside running round our 1 acre garden all day and I bring him for a 3 mile walk each day as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have heard that burns food sometimes needs to be fed more, is your dog very slim on it?
    Also he's still growing at nine months so may just need more food.
    If very active it may be better to look for a higher energy food, burns may do one themselves. Worth a look.
    Hope you child is ok, a scare like that at a young age can be bad, so try and make the dog a positive things to them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

We have our dog (9 month old Collie Cross) three weeks now and he's being fed on Burns Chicken and Rice. I'm giving him the recommended daily amount (i.e. 15grams per kilo of body weight which is 15 grams x 14 kilos = 210 grams a day) but he still appears to be ravenous.

This became an issue yesterday when my 20 month old son went outside chewing on a biscuit. Our dog ran over to him, jumped up on him and tried to get the biscuit. I ran outside when I saw this happening and pulled the dog off my son. He had been badly scratched on his face just under his eye and down his cheeks by the Dog's claws. Needless to say, I was not impressed and the dog got a strong talking to:mad:

However, now I've calmed down, I'm wondering if he is getting enough to eat? This Burns food comes highly recommended but it doesn't appear to be satisfying his hunger. Our Dog was abandoned by his previous owner and we got him from a rescue centre. He's a good natured dog but yesterday's incident has made me suspicious of his behaviour. All of my previous dogs would sit and wait until "released" to eat their food. This Dog dives in as soon as the food hits the bowl. Should I give him more to eat or does this run the risk of making him fat/ill?

BTW, He's outside running round our 1 acre garden all day and I bring him for a 3 mile walk each day as well.

My cocker is the same.... he is very well exercised , Dog Walker, Cycling... etc and i used to feed him the recommended allowance on Burns... but again he seemed starving... so now here's what i do....

on the days he's out with the dog walker etc... i give him a half extra cup in the morning.... I also give the a tin of sardines in oil mixed in once per week great for his coat, bones etc... and some all bran mixed in on another day (Vets advice as Burns is low in Fibre)... and on another day a raw egg mixed in... and over the past few weeks this has seemed to help with his hunger.... althought cockers adore food and would sell their soul for food....

your guy sounds very active so i would DEF up his intake may 1 and half for a few days and see how he is.... and on the days he doesnt get walked.. reduce it down etc...

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks for the replies.

Yes he's still growing I'd say and he does look on the thin side so perhaps no harm in giving him something extra, or maybe feeding him three times a day instead of twice a day.

I'd hate to think the poor mutt is constantly hungry as I thought I was doing the right thing following the "recommended" feeding guide. I'll introduce some fish into his diet for the essential oils and to give him some variety.

Do dogs get bored of eating the same thing all the time?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 killerboy

I feed mine three times a day, cause I feel bad thinking he's hungry all the time. My parents' dog gets fed only once a day, I can't believe it - I mean surely, they need more food than this? And they keep giving him the same food.

I try to vary it. I don't know if they get bored, but I just like treating my dog as a person and I know nobody would like to eat the same thing everyday, even if it's their favourite food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

I don't really think so, I feed my two jack russels James Wellbeloved. To keep it interesting, I feed them a big 7.5kg bags of the turkey and rice with sometimes the Lamb and rice mixed in. I also sometimes add Kong paste on top if they look like they are bored with their food.

I also like to get fatty cuts of meat from the butchers (one of my girls is a little thin I think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I don't think they get bored but I also add a little to their food.
    In any given week they will get one tin of fish in oil (mackerel is the fav), any left over veggies(broccoli, carrots and peas mostly, no spuds except a little mash), and any left over rice. None of thins is large amounts, just a little added to their food.
    I don't have an issue with them being fussy as I don't give this every day and they never know when they are getting something added, if they refuse to eat it I take it back, they eat it next meal.
    AT 9 months twice a day should be fine, but I would always advise to keep food and small children away from dogs, just because they will want to share, and dogs then think small child = food:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

No harm in upping the amount of food, it's only a guideline on the pack. I would feed twice or three times a day until he's up to a healthy looking weight. And I always throw in a bit of variety - sardines are great (in oil only, not brine).

Also did you worm him? I remember you said he only had his parvo injections when coming from Collon. If he hasn't been wormed it could be part of the constant hunger.

When our rescue dog came home he was constantly hungry (the first morning after we brought him home he stole my breakfast!) and had a little bit of food aggression so had to be fed separately from our other dog.

We spaced out his meals, little and often, so he knew that there was always food available for him. He had previously been abandoned and had to scavenge for food and I couldn't help but think it was something to do with his constant need for food. It took a few weeks of about 5 little meals a day for him to realise the food was never going to run out.

He now eats happily alongside our own dog, with not a hint of aggression and now knows the command to not steal from our plates!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I brought him to the Vet last week for the rest of his injections and he also got a worming tablet that I gave to him last Saturday.

Perhaps he is like your dog, i.e. he too was abandoned and had to scavenge to survive until he was rescued. I'll follow your advice and spread his meals out a bit more, i.e. little but more often until he learns that he won't be going hungry again.

Thanks

Advertisement