Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's name in Irish

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Des wrote: »
    we would have ended up with something like "Blackly" or "Blacklaw"
    Or, hopefully, this.

Have any Baile- towns been anglicised as "Black-"? It's generally Bal- or Bally-. I think Valentia Island is one notable exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

you are right of course, but it's just a notion I had.

A combination of how Irish was pronounced and how English was pronounced way back when kills my idea, no doubt, but one can dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Des, your "Blaw-clee-a" is fairly bang-on, imo.

On the Dubh Linn thing - wouldn't the correct structure have been Linn Dubh?

Every tourist knows the 'correct' name is An Lár anyway...

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

There is an another ancient name for Dublin that seems to have disapeared from modern history books!

Drom Coil Choille

Oxford University 1786
    books?id=C9kHAAAAQAAJ&pg=PT26&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U1XVnuwPCwbZJwADcK3A_gcg7B5PQ&ci=517%2C527%2C350%2C181&edge=0

John Adolphus 1818

books?id=oQQ-AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA412&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U2AmT9VCQHYF6E7RUeH8LmFYr3D5A&ci=196%2C869%2C691%2C324&edge=0

Samuel Lewis 1837

(sorry, zoom in)
    books?id=iI0jwZZ-7TEC&pg=PA525&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U1hTkBdjou84jtG7nzxkOSckJkhVQ&ci=478%2C999%2C362%2C183&edge=0

Advertisement