Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree cut down

Options
  • 26-09-2011 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

I am f***ing furious right now. Kildare County council in their infinite wisdom, have decided to cut the tree down outside the house I am renting without prior notice. The tree not only made the street look nicer, but also blocked people on the street running at a right angle to ours from looking directly in our bedroom window.

My next door neighbor has been carrying out alot of renovations recently so I figured this was the noise for the last 2 hours, and not being a curtain twitcher, ignored it. Now the tree is gone. Its a f***ing disgrace!!!

I suppose the fact I'm renting doesn't afford me any rights or say in this matter, but at the very least I would have expecting the council to give prior notice.

When I talked to the contractor, he said it was because it was blocking the light from a lamp post. FFS!!! Move the lamp post!!!

Its probably devalued the house by about 10-15 grand, as it was a well established tree.

/rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Its probably devalued the house by about 10-15 grand, as it was a well established tree.

/rant

cop yourself on

i understand ur pissed coz the cut the tree- but that statement is just not true, and even if it were...ur renting...nothing to do with you

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

daheff wrote: »
    cop yourself on

i understand ur pissed coz the cut the tree- but that statement is just not true, and even if it were...ur renting...nothing to do with you

Thanks for the positive contribution to the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Seriously doubt the value of your house has depreciated. Plus you lease, so how is the house price relevant? And I'm sure the council would not randomly cut down a tree, they only do it if it's dangerous or it's impeding the footpath or road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Even if you owned the house, there is nothing you can do. The council manage the roadway and if a tree is blocking light, then they can cut it down.

I'm talking about common courtesy. I'm upset that I wasn't at least informed. I completely understand that there is technically no obligation for the county council to inform me, but there is a moral one, even a civil one.

Let me put one point straight. It certainly does have something to do with me. I live there and that tree blocked people from looking straight into my bedroom. Not only that, it has completely changed the environment in which I live. To say that it doesn't have anything to do with me is not quite right.

And it would have certainly affected the value of the property (and again I agree this has nothing to do with me), as this was a well established tree on a well established estate. The house, and the 2 each side of it look completely bare.

And you are right, there is nothing I can do. Certainly not now that the job has been done. I have called the council and I am waiting to hear back from their engineer who deals with these matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Buy a semi mature tree from Carragh Nurseries or Flannerys in Staplestown and plant it inside the garden wall.

Then and only then is it your property. Outside this boundary is zilch to do with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Well the OP can't do that cause they don't own the property. And OP, blinds and curtains prevent people seeing into your bedroom, trees are accidental in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

will someone please think of the children pmsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Tree roots can cause massive damage to pads and roads. Plus ESB will remove any trees that may interfere with the lines above.

Why are you worried about house value? You rent. You will likely move on like most renters do.

If the tree was not on your landlords property then I cant see what your big issue is. It is the councils to do with as they please. No courtesy needed.
    If you next door neighbour tore down a shed wall or a tree, would you consider it appropriate to ask you first.

I think not

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

If your location is Dublin, what is KCC doing cutting down trees there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Maybe what was privacy for you was a total pain for your neighbours?

I wish KCC would cut down or even trim some of the trees near where I live. Unfortunately they are on private property so they can’t. Most of the trees are lovely but they block out a lot of sun in our garden in the morning and from the afternoon which is very depressing.

I know they aren’t blocking any sun on my neighbours property so they wouldn’t be on for lowering them and as far as I know have no legal obligation to.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    If you next door neighbour tore down a shed wall or a tree, would you consider it appropriate to ask you first.

I think not

This...
    Section 37 of the Forestry Act, 1946 states that it is illegal to uproot any tree over ten years old or to cut down any tree, unless notice of the intention to do so has been given in accordance with the Act.

Notice of intention to fell or uproot trees must be given in writing on a form known as a Felling Notice which may be obtained from any Garda Station or directly from the Felling Section of the Forest Service. On receipt of a completed Felling Notice, an Order prohibiting the felling of the trees is issued. This protects the trees in question while consideration is given to the issuing of a felling licence.

Yes I would! If it had an effect on my surroundings.

Also, I'm not concerned about the value of the house, merely pointing out that its not something the KCC are even considering, which I feel is unfair on the landlord. There is no issue for the KCC to fell a tree but there is for Joe Public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Op,you don't indicate if you've talked to your landlord. Maybe the council contacted him/her and they forgot/didn't bother telling you.

Last week i heard a noise at the window(first floor flat), when i looked out a guy was cleaning the window. Spoke to him and he said all windows were being cleaned and landlords were meant to sent around notice to everyone. They didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Feel for you OP but it's gone now :( May as well forget or you'll drive yourself mad.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not your tree. If someone parks an old banger of a car outside your house, it's the same thing. Annoying. Possibly even rude. But nothing you can do about it.

Ask the landlord for some curtains, or close the existing ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

This...

Yes I would! If it had an effect on my surroundings.

Also, I'm not concerned about the value of the house, merely pointing out that its not something the KCC are even considering, which I feel is unfair on the landlord. There is no issue for the KCC to fell a tree but there is for Joe Public.

The prohibition on the uprooting or cutting down of trees does not apply where:

a) It is a hazel, apple, plum, damson, pear or cherry tree grown for the value of its fruit or any 1ozier;
    b) The activity is covered by a felling licence;
    c) It is less than 100 feet from a dwelling other than a wall or temporary structure;
    d) It is standing in a County or other Borough or an urban district.

Jeepers .. If you are going to post that stuff on a public forum, you should read it first..

Other exceptions apply in the case of road construction, road safety and electricity supply operations.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    The prohibition on the uprooting or cutting down of trees does not apply where:

a) It is a hazel, apple, plum, damson, pear or cherry tree grown for the value of its fruit or any 1ozier;
    b) The activity is covered by a felling licence;
    c) It is less than 100 feet from a dwelling other than a wall or temporary structure;
    d) It is standing in a County or other Borough or an urban district.

Jeepers .. If you are going to post that stuff on a public forum, you should read it first..

Other exceptions apply in the case of road construction, road safety and electricity supply operations.

I did read it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So doesn't that mean it doesn't apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I did read it.
    so what's the point in posting the link if you know it doesn't apply

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

Since you're renting, why not just ask the Landlord if you can plant a tree in the garden? If the lack of a tree does devalue the property in your opinion then maybe the landlord will agree and so will let you plant the tree...

But careful when you put it. It'll be your responsibility to trim etc and if it goes into a neighbour's or public domain then they have the right to cut the branches from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

They are out of their tree :D

Advertisement