Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build help

Options
  • 26-09-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? around 500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes, I have a hard drive and motherboard and processor that are all fine

5. Do you need a monitor? no

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? no

8. How can you pay? any way

9. When are you purchasing? one week

I'm basically looking for a graphics card which will comfortably run anything that's coming out in the near future with particular attention to battefield 3.
    I also need a power supply as my old is only a 300w.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

On that budget you could easily get a GTX 580. However it would be helpful to know what your current system is to make sure its worth it.

Total build cost: €476.84 + €30 shipping
    Gainward GeForce GTX 580 GOOD, 1536MB DDR5 €407.84
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W €69.00

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

I have a phenom 9600b quad core and four gbs of ram. I have a 9600gt at the moment too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Do you know what resolution your monitor runs at?

The original phenoms are starting to show their age a bit now so you might need to upgrade that for some games. The specifications for BF3 seem to lean a lot more heavily on the GPU though. Maybe you could consider overclocking later if you find that the CPU is holding you back or see what upgrade paths are supported by your motherboard.

Although you've listed €500 for your budget, this seems a bit excessive unless you have a very high resolution monitor. I think that the 580 is quite poor value for money unless you really need that extra bit of performance. An AMD 6950 or nVidia 560ti will handle any current game at HD resolution (1920x1080) but BF3 lists it as the recommended so maybe a 570 would be no harm if you can afford it.

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/29_PSU/productdetails/80002628/A_Data_HM_650_650_Watt_ATX/AHM650_BZ_CEU/default.aspx
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-nVIDIA-GeForce-DirectCu-Graphics/dp/B004NBYD0U/

Total: ~€360 with free delivery in both cases.

If you have windows 7, maybe an SSD with the spare money? - Otherwise, save for the next upgrades down the line.

Yeah I run at 1920 x 1080, I was thinking my cpu was getting old but I don't think I could really afford to upgrade everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If BF3 is well coded and uses all 4 cores, you'll be fine.
    AM2 boards often have good upgrade paths, what board have you got?

• Advertisement

it's an asus something :).. It came with the processor in some combo.

Advertisement