Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman Extended Warranty

Options
  • 26-09-2011 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Warning do not bother getting the Harvey Norman Extended Warranty.

I bought a whirlpool washing machine and bought the extended warranty and recently all 3 paddles inside broke, again and I called them they told me that it was not covered (warranty specifically states mechanical defects are covered) and that I had to replace at my own expense, now on the third set I rang as I was advised that it was a drum issue. THey keep telling my that it its when you wash runners in the wasing machine, the only thing the machine is for is baby clothes.

Again Harvey Norman said it was not their problem and the best they could do was after 3 calls they told me I could pay for one of their contractors to come out and that if he felt it was broken they would look at honoring the warranty, now i am in catch 22 if I pay for them to be replaced again it would be cheaper to have replaced the machine myself if this guy comes out and says its the paddles.

Has anyone had any experience with these goons and their Extended Warranty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

What was in the washing machine each time the paddles broke?

If it was something not covered in the operator's manual, then they can rightfully say that you haven't been using the machine correctly. Also, the manual specifies a maximum weight allowed. Unless the manual says baby clothes only, then they are exaggerating more than a small bit.

If however, you were washing items which are covered, and you haven't exceeded the allowed weight, then they should cover the repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 adeery

Baby clothes approx 4kg (weighed dry on the second set of breaks max is stated as 6KG), have never washed runners in that washing machine

Whirlpool themselfs have said to me that it sounds like the drum but they have no relationship with Harvey Norman or their guarentees so I would have to pay for all the repairs myself and again would be cheaper to replace the washing machine.

I will keep chasing them and will update if I get anywhere....

...... in the mean time anyone want to buy a washing machine with no paddles but a 4 year warranty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Swash

I'd write straight to their head office with a copy of the guarantee, receipt etc. Sometimes you have to go right to the top to get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

How old is it?

Sale of Goods Act should be fine - no need for extended warranties

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Swash wrote: »
    I'd write straight to their head office with a copy of the guarantee, receipt etc. Sometimes you have to go right to the top to get results.

Give them 14 days to offer either (free) repair, replacement or refund, tell them after this time you will proceed to the small claims court.

PS did you google the machine model number, more cases of the same issue happening to others will be handy for the SCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 kidmanager

I am sick of these clowns.. told product care 100% drum issue. Engineer agreed but came empty handed no part told I have to wait a week.. fuming doesn't come close

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Make sure you write a letter of complain once its resolved, pointing out the inaccuracy of their non-technical diagnosis and the difficulty getting them to honour the extended warranty.

you are completely right to be fuming, they make a lot of money from these extended warranty and you are completly justfied in expecting them to honour them; without trying to fob you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

you are completely right to be fuming, they make a lot of money from these extended warranty and you are completly justfied in expecting them to honour them; without trying to fob you off.

It's because the store and the salesman make so much money from commission selling these extended warranties that there's sod all money left over to pay for claims.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My tumble dryer broke down after 3 years but had the HN warranty. It was a mechanical issue (motor or rotor went) and other than take an age to fix it was fixed.

Advertisement