Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty on replacement goods

Options
  • 26-09-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked before ( had a quick search to no avail ). I bought something with a one year guarantee, which needed complete replacement after 6 months. Does the guarantee last for the balance of the 6 months or is it treated like a new purchase and you get the full year from the date of replacement.

Thanks, everyone,

NBD

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

sugarman wrote: »
    New guarentee:)
    Well strictly speaking it depends on the company as the 1 year warranty in the first place is an addition to the legal requirements.

The legal required time period is not started over how ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

sugarman wrote: »
    New guarentee:)

I don't think so.

In the twelve-month time frame the question might be pointless because, as Nody points out, your legal rights might have more significance than a twelve month guarantee.

Let's visualise a different scenario: you buy a television with a three-year guarantee; after two years and nine months it fails, and the manufacturer replaces it; two years and ten months later, the second television fails. Would you expect to be given another television?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It'll depend on the T&Cs of the warranty. A warranty is not a legal right but an optional perk offered. If one is provided as part of the original sales contract then it is legally binding.
    In general the T&Cs of most warranties specify a fixed term and any replacement does not extend the warranty beyond the original period. Some companies will provide a new period on the replaced part only, very few will provide a new warranty on the entire product.

So the jist is to read your warranty terms and conditions, that's what dictates your entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Most 'warrentys' last until 1 year from the purchase date.

Nothing to stop you from refunding a faulty item (if the retailer will let you) and buying it again, you then have 12 months new warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

your warranty or guarantee is from the initial date of purchase, and if it gets replaced its your original purchase date that you go by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭okeanes

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked before ( had a quick search to no avail ). I bought something with a one year guarantee, which needed complete replacement after 6 months. Does the guarantee last for the balance of the 6 months or is it treated like a new purchase and you get the full year from the date of replacement.

Thanks, everyone,

NBD

the shops are terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Most times your statutory rights provide greater consumer protection than any warrenty and will last up to 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Warranty is from time of purchase, otherwise things would constantly "break" so certain people would keep getting a new version of what they bought.

Most companies extend said warranty as a gesture of good will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

There is some bad advice on this thread.

1: Warranty is provided by manufacturer. What they say in their warranty document is what they have to abide by (at a minimum). If they say 10 years then they have to abide by it. If they say 2 days then ....

2: Statutory rights usually beat warranty. If you buy a TV and the warranty says they'll repair it up to one year but it breaks after 2 years you can still go back to the shop and make your case. If you don't agree with the shops interpretation you can go to the small claims court. If I paid €1000 for a TV I could argue that I'd expect the item to last for more than 2 years. If I paid €20 for a TV that argument probably wouldn't be as strong. So the statutory rights are never clear cut.

In the Ops case I wouldn't worry about warranty. If it was replaced after 6 months it makes no difference. The question to ask is if I bought the item on date X should I reasonably expect it to be fine on date Y. If I should and the shop don't agree then I'll have a chat with the small claims court (costs €15).

Advertisement