Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incoming calls cause broadband to drop

Options
  • 26-09-2011 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Why might this happen? When someone calls my home number my internet drops.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

have you got a filter on the phone line to split the signal for adsl and phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Skatedude wrote: »
    have you got a filter on the phone line to split the signal for adsl and phone?

yes I do. I just replaced it with another new one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

BailMeOut wrote: »

One of your splitters is faulty. unplug all phones. Plug one phone in with a filter. Lift the handset and watch the DSL status light. If it stays connected then the filter is ok. Do this again for all filters, to locate the one which disconnects the broadband on lifting the handset.

Simples :grin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Bailmeout

thanks syklops and skatedude, yes splitter or filter would cause the problem you described. If you have changed this and still dropping calls can you PM me your tel no. and I can run some tests for you. Do you have any other device ( xbox, sky tv) connected, do you have a second extention in the house? PM no. and I will test.
    Tony

thanks everyone. Eircom are coming out to my house to take a look. Pretty sure it has to do with the rain and something getting wet as when it is raining the problem is particularly bad. They were out a few weeks ago and replaced main box as it was damp/corroded inside but I think I still have water getting in.

Will keep you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

thanks everyone. Eircom are coming out to my house to take a look. Pretty sure it has to do with the rain and something getting wet as when it is raining the problem is particularly bad. They were out a few weeks ago and replaced main box as it was damp/corroded inside but I think I still have water getting in.

Will keep you posted.

Ok BailMeOut
    let me know if any further issue on this. Will chase for you.
    Tony

just following up on this. Engineer could tell that there was grounding occurring and is worse on wet days. He installed a new main eircom box but this time one that splits the broadband and land-line at the entrance. My router plugs into one port and a phone in the other. The rest of the home phone connections connect to this second side too so isolated from BB.

Now when raining and someone rings my home phones ring with all sorts of odd ring sequences but my broadband never goes down now. Engineer said grounding was happening outside house and spent some time using cherry picker checking all the polls bringing connection to the house.

So I am happy now. Been a few weeks and internet is rock solid (touch wood!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

just following up on this. Engineer could tell that there was grounding occurring and is worse on wet days. He installed a new main eircom box but this time one that splits the broadband and land-line at the entrance. My router plugs into one port and a phone in the other. The rest of the home phone connections connect to this second side too so isolated from BB.

Now when raining and someone rings my home phones ring with all sorts of odd ring sequences but my broadband never goes down now. Engineer said grounding was happening outside house and spent some time using cherry picker checking all the polls bringing connection to the house.

So I am happy now. Been a few weeks and internet is rock solid (touch wood!).

Hi BailMeOut,

Thanks for the update. Let us know if any problem again in the future.

All the best,
    Ant

Advertisement