Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hip /thigh cramps

• 26-09-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭

Guys,

Need help with Hip flexor/thigh cramping problem

Ongoing problem with cramps usually occurring around the 55 to 75km mark.
    Had to pull out of a few sportives over this.

I have tried the following:
    • 3-month personal training and physio sessions to increase hip mobility/core strength. I certainly feel that my mobility has improved from this.
    • Taking in plenty of water and sports drinks/deoralyte/magnesium etc
    • Foam rolling and stretching before events and after plus during the week
    • Given up Gaelic football – due to high impact/effect on flexibility
    • Bike set up/ saddle height etc adjusted

The cramping occurrs mainly when I am pushing a bit harder or going uphill in an upright position. I have been told that this position puts extra stress on the body but it does also occur on the flat.

I would have very good cardio fitness but something is causing these cramps that I cant figure out. I may try a 100km at a very slow pace soon to see if it maybe is a case of simple muscle over exertion.

I cycle a basic trek 1.2 and basically just want to complete the sportives/charity events in reasonably good times and enjoy them.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to combat this or if anyone could recommend a serious specific cycling physio/ physical therapist I would be very very appreciative.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you're not doing so already, try sliding back on the saddle when climbing on the tops. This might help activate your hamstrings and relieve your quads.

In answer to your next question, no I don't know what to do about hamstring cramps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Get ready for some guy to post in bold writing :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I get thigh/hamstring cramps sometimes.
    Usually when I have been hammering it for a long while combined with dehydration.
    I have tried lots of stuff, hard to say if any of it actually works.
    The same combo invariably leads me to cramp, so the solution is either (1) dont hammer it and/or (2) stay hydrated.

PS, I forgot - the cramps invariably start on a long spin (where I have been hammering it) after I take a break for coffee/water refill etc.
    So usually on 5-7 hour spins where U take a break midway. Cramp usually occurs within forst 20 minutes of re-starting.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Get ready for some guy to post in bold writing :rolleyes:
    So long as no-one tries to diagnose a medical condition or "prescribe" any particular treatment, the thread's fine

I do have to delete one post though, as a quick look at Wikipedia suggests the substance mentioned may in certain cases "even cause death";)

Beasty wrote: »
    So long as no-one tries to diagnose a medical condition or "prescribe" any particular treatment, the thread's fine

I do have to delete one post though, as a quick look at Wikipedia suggests the substance mentioned may in certain cases "even cause death";)

You maybbe correct, however I have heard that it is generally fine if mixed with a good gin. Tanqueray is descent as is Hendricks.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

It's worth getting your bloods done. Cramping can be caused by something lacking in your diet (low potassium levels are a classic cramp causing problem for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Khannie wrote: »
    It's worth getting your bloods done. Cramping can be caused by something lacking in your diet (low potassium levels are a classic cramp causing problem for example).

Pat Rafter, anyone? I think he ended up shaving his head because he thought that might be something to do with his cramping. A very debilitating problem. Sorry about your situation O.P. Keep up the fluids and keep stretching is all I can say.

Ah you'd try anything after a while. I had it for a good long time. It seemed like it was going on forever at the time. I was waking up in the middle of the night with it and everything. I would have even shaved my legs if I thought it would fix it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Thighs cramped badly yesterday going up Bellewstown (?) hill on the swords sportive.
    It started just after where ''suffer'' was spray painted on the road!

CPL 593H

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

furiousox wrote: »
    That was for Lusk Doyle's attention, not your's!

• Advertisement

Thighs cramped badly yesterday going up Bellewstown (?) hill on the swords sportive.

I don't think it was an instruction :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I have no specific advice - I just wanted to post before the screws get here and this thread put in lock down!!

Jawgap wrote: »
    I have no specific advice - I just wanted to post before the screws get here and this thread put in lock down!!

No, no, I think you misunderstood me. I said you look fat in that dress!

No, I meant that the "suffer" on the road wasn't an instruction to your legs ;)

That was for Lusk Doyle's attention, not your's!

Ta. It was duly noted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

oops!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Lambretta

Thanks Lumnen, ROK ON, Velo 2010 and Khannie.

Khannie and ROK ON, are you still getting these cramps or are have you now overcome them?

I do think in retrospect, the cramps are setting in after the breaks and when I am hammering it in for the last 1/3 of the events.. I will attempt a 100km route asap at a very slow frustrating pace, but at least if I can finish it without pulling up it will be a great to know I can at least finish the events.

Thanks again everyone

ROK ON wrote: »
    I get thigh/hamstring cramps sometimes.
    Usually when I have been hammering it for a long while combined with dehydration.
    I have tried lots of stuff, hard to say if any of it actually works.
    The same combo invariably leads me to cramp, so the solution is either (1) dont hammer it and/or (2) stay hydrated.

PS, I forgot - the cramps invariably start on a long spin (where I have been hammering it) after I take a break for coffee/water refill etc.
    So usually on 5-7 hour spins where U take a break midway. Cramp usually occurs within forst 20 minutes of re-starting.

Mine are gone. Without attempting to diagnose yours, mine were caused by a diet deficiency although I was eating very well. Mine were the worst whenever I used a rowing machine (though it's my favourite piece of gym kit for pushing fitness). When they started when I was on the rower, I could cramp for over a minute. Horrors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

I love these threads.

Lambretta wrote: »

Khannie and ROK ON, are you still getting these cramps or are have you now overcome them?

Yep, I still get them intermittently. Usually in warm weather. Last time I got them was mid August. Hammered a climb, after a long stop. Blew up, hammered the descent in a large bunch. Cramped badly on the descent. When I got to the finish my legs locked and I couldnt actually get up off the ground. I was on a main street of a town screaming in agony.

Time before that, I also cramped on a descent that I was pushing too hard to get back onto a group that I was dropped from on a climb. Worked it out -- on the next climb I cramped so badly I fell off. Leg was visibly pulsating. I couldnt get up for maybe five or more minutes.

Always the same. Long spin, couple of hard efforts, break for coffee with the gang, get back on, hard effort, cramp.

I have tried all sorts of electrolyte tablets, but they dont work for me.
    I eat a lot of bananas so I shouldnt have a potassium deficiency, but I will take Khannies advice and get bloods checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Could the cramping be caused by lactic acid?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Could the cramping be caused by lactic acid?

It can be. Are there any solutions to this other than hydration?

I'm pretty sure that in my case that there is a link between my muscles cooling down at break time and then being exerted again. Now for some evernts, I have no choice but to take a break (because thats when the group is stopping for lunch etc).

Are there exercises that one can do to help alleviate thigh cramps?

ROK ON wrote: »
    Are there exercises that one can do to help alleviate thigh cramps?

Foam rolling is definitely worth looking into (in general). Not sure about when you're actually taking the coffee break though.

Advertisement