Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good tattooists in waterford...

Options
  • 26-09-2011 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a clean,respectable place in waterford to get a tattoo done. Its a big tattoo itl be a half sleeve design black and grey no colour. Any advice on good artists down there?

Any advice would be a help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭BadGirl

I've heard JMD's is the best, but have no direct experience with him. Some friends get tattooed only by him though....

http://www.jmdsbodyart.com/

HTH

BG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

JMD's has the best rep but I would suggest maybe SEARCHING THE SITE.
    Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

JMD's is awesome ... also consider Neil in Swineline, exceptional black and grey work.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Aye, ya can't look past Neil in swineline!

The man is gifted at what he does, in the middle of a full sleeve with him at the minute, outer parts of my arm are done, over the next month getting the inside done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Would love to see pics Eeloe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Defo Neil in swineline, top class work
    JMD is far to pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Nypd wrote: »
    Defo Neil in swineline, top class work
    JMD is far to pricey

Maybe they're / he is far better?

What price are we talking about here.

By the by, price should not be a decider, go where is best for your tattoo.

Good tattoos can be cheap, its just that you'll have to go to Hungary / Poland to make that true.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Genki Sudo

Look at Joe Myler's work and you will see why it is expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Steff

Just a heads up, Neal is actually set to leave Swineline in December, due to work opportunities up north.

That said, I can't recommend him enough if you can get him before then, excellent tattooist, and all around sound man to talk to

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭mm_surf

Diceicle wrote: »
    Maybe they're / he is far better?

What price are we talking about here.

By the by, price should not be a decider, go where is best for your tattoo.

Good tattoos can be cheap, its just that you'll have to go to Hungary / Poland to make that true.

Got my first ever tattoo in JMD's in november. Not the cheapest place, but certainly the best for what I wanted.

To put it into context, I was looking for Giger's "Birth Machine Baby". Specifically of the Baby itself:
    Birth-Machine-Baby.jpg

Rather than the original picture he did:
    hr_giger_birthmachine.jpg?w=400

These are two "typical" standard tats of the same thing:
    http://www.ratemyink.com/images/ul/748/H-R-Giger-Birth-Machine-tattoo-74834.jpeg

http://www.ratemyink.com/images/ul/876/HR-Giger-Birth-Machine-Part-tattoo-87679.jpeg

This is mine:
    314.jpg

I think mine was worth the €120 an hour :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I hear JMDs is the best place to go but the prices are way over the top, I no price shouldnt count, you go where the best work is done and i hear hes the best.

Has anyone ever had work done in JMDs? I also hear (and this is just rumour) hes a bit of a c*unt to work with is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

seen Joes work first hand on a friend, he was brilliant and still is extremely good, but not at the same level as he 1s was. 120 euro an hour is kind of high but if you can afford it get it. New lad in there started my mates sleeve think his name is Ian. Top work done so far. Joe is picky with his work, will only do it if he feels like it, had a problem were he told some 1 to go away he wasnt interested as it wasnt nice, even tho he has done all 5 other tattoos on this man.

guess he didnt want the business:p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I only get my tattoo's done with Ian in JMD's, would defintely recommend him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Autosport wrote: »
    I only get my tattoo's done with Ian in JMD's, would defintely recommend him.

Ive seen his tattos they are very good, i have an old tattoo of a cross on my forearm,im looking for a sleeve around that covering my whole arm,would jmds be willing to work round the old one? I hear he can be a bit of a cnut and not do it because of the old one i have, you see thats the stuff im hearing about joe and jmds.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

done ask joe, ask Ian in the shop my mate got ian to do his sleeve and worked around an old celtic cross which he no longer likes, its looks unreal and he only had 2 sessions so far, still needs from his guess another 2. but the work has to be the best in waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭Junior

I have a half sleeve done by Neil in Swineline, he threw together a few designs for me and let me take them home to decide. When he did the piece, it took 9 hours total and I'm tremendously happy with it.

I've never heard anyone speak bad of Joe's work either, I had a run in with his wife when I was getting my first tattoo done, she was as ignorant as the day was long, hence why I never went back there, I would be tempted to drop down to have a chat with him, I want to get a full sleeve completed and a cover up done.

I've been into Neil to get this sleeve finished he seems a wee bit scattered or under pressure at the moment, so I'm not sure about getting it done there, but either way from my experience you won't go wrong with Neil or Joe. You should pop in to both and see who you feel more at home with getting the piece done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Himself has two sleeves and a full back piece done by Joe and wouldn't go anywhere else. He's been going to Joe since he was in his early 20s, he's now 35 and planning on getting his chest and sides done in there next year (when he has the money together).

Joe's work is something he takes very seriously. He is an artist. Yes, maybe to some this comes off as being cocky or a "prick" but I'd rather have my tattoo done by someone taking their work seriously than someone just toying around with the idea of being an artist. Joe gave my bf a lot of insight and basically designed his tattoos for him. He took a couple of ideas my bf had and expanded them and came back with something perfect for him. He really listens to you to try to get your personal taste into the tattoo. In fairness I have heard of him changing people's minds when they come in for the bog standard fairy tattoo and that usual rubbish but I have never heard of him turning away a customer.

Ian's work is brilliant also. The two of them are sound as far as I'm concerned.

Joe has worked hard to get where he is today and he didn't get there by doing tinkerbell tattoos on girl's ankles.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MikeyReilly

I have 3 tattoos done by JMD's one by Ian and two by Joe. Yes they are expensive in there but well worth it. Alot of the negative stories about Joe Myler are usually from someone who went in looking for a tattoo with no clue in their head of what they want.

I would highly recommend JMD's from my own experience's with them. Never had a bad one. Just look at some of the work on his site. It's top class. As usual with tattoo's ... You get what you pay for!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Got my first tattoo by Joe in JMD's. Absolutely brilliant artist, and from my experience, very friendly too.

Just don't go there for piercings ahah

Advertisement