Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting the same property for a 2nd year

Options
  • 26-09-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi,
    First off I haven't yet looked through my current lease but its coming to an end in 4 weeks and as this is my first rental property I'm unsure what I should be asking about when I ring the landlord to renew the lease.
    Obviously I'll ask for a rent decrease but is there anything I should be asking for or even expecting? Ideally I'd like to get a one month notice clause in it. Is this reasonable?
    Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ideally talk to the landlord, not the agent. If possible invite him around for tea and a chat.

Say that you want to continue as things are on a Part 4 basis. However, financially things aren't looking good (put away the new laptop and the wide screeen TV and have the place clean and tidy), so you would like to pay a lower rent.

If part 4 suits you, this is the notice you would ahve to give. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html
    A tenant who wishes to end their tenancy must serve their landlord with the relevant notice period outlined in the table below:
    Notice Period Duration of Tenancy
    28 days Less than 6 months
    35 days >6 months and <1 year
    42 days >1 year and <2 years
    56 days >2 years and <3 years
    56 days >3 years and <4 years
    56 days >4 years

Both parties can agree to shorter notice periods but only at the time of termination.

Are there any maintenace issues that need to be looked at?

Advertisement