Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does it smell...

Options
  • 26-09-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

looked into home brew a while back but if i recall i pulled out because I dont have a shed & it would have to be kept @ room temp indoors. (a) am i right in thinking this & (b) if i do keep it indoors (live in a flat) it'll smell?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

A brewing kit won't smell at all.

When I've done the kits, I've kept them in my own bedroom while fermenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Temperature is more of an issue for Lager's while ales are fairly tolerant from what I have been reading. All my kits have fermented in anywhere from 18 up to 24deg without any negative results. While temperature regulation will improve beer I don't think it is something that someone starting out should get too fussy over IMO.

When your kit is fermenting it will be pushing out CO2 constantly so there really isn't a way for the smell to "get in" at the beer. The only time this might happen is when you are lifting the fermenter. Sometimes it sucks in air when it is deformed. I live in a tiny apartment so I am acutely aware of space limitations and suitable fermentation spots. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Oiseau

That settles it! Move over ironing board, you're getting a lodger... cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 27 qazxsw1

a.f.a.i.k you only get smells if boiling, i.e. if boiling dme to hack a kit or brewing beer using dme + other ingredients OR if going the all grain route.

If sticking to a standard entry level kit there is virtually no smell, except when adding the contents of the softened kit can, and that's a fairly pleasing one which disappears farily quickly as the cold water is added to bring your wort up to the common 23L.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Oiseau wrote: »
    That settles it! Move over ironing board, you're getting a lodger... cheers

We store our ironing board in the hot press......It wouldn't be a good idea to put it in there! :pac:

I have also seen photos on the american brewing forums with their fermenters in bathrooms...I assume (hope) that the toilets were not in use....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Oiseau

thanks all for advice.
    Think i'll start with Coopers kit
    http://www.homebrewwest.ie/coopers-diy-beer-kit-new-with-vwp-sterilizer-246-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 27 qazxsw1

When you have that under you belt you could do worse than try this version of the same lager "hacked" to simulate a wheat beer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=DNnpmhvKhgU&src_vid=IuYPPhMiZyc&annotation_id=annotation_773298

cut 'n paste link to browser

I have it brewing at the moment - will let you know how it goes if you're interested...

Advertisement