Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music HL Leaving Cert!

Options
  • 26-09-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

I am in 6th year now doing music for the leaving cert. I did it outside school for 1hr a week in 5th year, and the same this year (my school docent do music). I am doing grade 8 piano so ii think i should be ok for the practical.

What is the story with the practical though? Is it 4 pieces and a technology thing or what? My music teacher is not 100% sure. Also, would it be wise to do 5 pieces, or is that possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jamezymck

You can do 2 pieces on piano, and two technology pieces (E.g. Sibilius) I think thats it. You can also do 3 piano pieces on its own or something similar. (Im not sure about that. Sorry im not much help!) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ehshup

no no no.... If you are doing music technology then you do 4 pieces. If you aren't doing music technology as an elective you do 6 pieces. (or if you prefer, if you play two instruments, 4 in each of the two you choose)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

oh ok...

What is involved in the music technology, and which would you recommend?

I take it that no matter what the combination it carries the same marks, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ehshup

no like in the music leaving cert there is a practical element (25%) a composing element (25%), and the other paper (25%) as far as i'm aware - and i think you can sort of choose one of those to be the extra 25 % like for example if you thought you were great at composing you could choose composing and then that paper would make up 50% of your overall exam - however as far as i know only 1% of people choose that, almost everyone picks the practical to cover their 50 %. And if you do, you can make part of that be music technology. I do it outside of school, and we haven't done music technology, however to be honest it is something anyone can easily get full marks in, all you have to do really is transcribe music from a sheet to a computer, it's really easy, it doesn't test any musical skill at all, just copying skills. However if you do do music technology, be aware that you have less time to perform your pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rolaoi

Composition - 25%
    Listening - 25 %
    Practical - 50% ..

.. In the practical, you can either do one instrument (6 pieces) or two (4 pieces on each). So for music tech and piano, you would do 4 on piano. Im in 6th year now, grade 8 on piano also .. I also play sax but im going to do music tech instead, along with 4 piano pieces. Im not too sure on what music tech is, but i hear its quite easy so Im gonna go with it. Also, not possible to do 5 pieces, just the 4! Just make sure theyre varying in style to maximise your marks.

• Advertisement

Thanks

Just out of interest what pieces are you doing?

Im pretty sure im doing Beethovens Bagatelle, one of Mozarts Sonatas, 'Vals Poetico' by Granados, and 'Adagio' by Galuppi.

I think that should be a good mix especially with a waltz thrown in there

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

The technology involves making 4 changes to a piece of music thats already inputted on the computer. Its the easiest marks you'll ever get if you know how to use the software. Make sure your school has the music software installed on the computers so as you actually have the option of doing the Technology option-if the school doesn't do music then there is a high possibility that they wont have sibileus/finale/other music programmes on the computers.

plumpote wrote: »
    if the school doesn't do music then there is a high possibility that they wont have sibileus/finale/other music programmes on the computers.

Yeah my school dosent do music, but im definitely not doing 8 pieces... I have garageband on my mac, but that nothing like sibelius from the 2mins research ive been doing. Is it worth the price of sibelius for the software?

How much % of overall LC marks goes for the technology stuff if you choose to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

How much % of overall LC marks goes for the technology stuff if you choose to do it?

It's half your practical, so 25%.

leaveiton wrote: »
    It's half your practical, so 25%.

Wow that much?

So it would definitely be worth a good practice on the software. Does anyone know what version is used in the exam?

I just checked the sibelius website and sibelius 7 is something like €500! Tell me this is a different version! Please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rebekahx

Wow that much?

So it would definitely be worth a good practice on the software. Does anyone know what version is used in the exam?

I just checked the sibelius website and sibelius 7 is something like €500! Tell me this is a different version! Please!

Finale Notepad is essentially the same thing http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/default.aspx and you can download a free 30 day trial before you buy it. It's what we use in music class and what will be used in the exam as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

If you think you'll be carrying on with music-composing or arranging, buying software is worth it. If not, get the 30 day Finale trial. If you don't do the Technology, you'll only have to do 6 pieces on your instrument, or 4 each on two instruments.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

There's also another option where your practical is 50% where you only choose technology.
    Here you do the standard 4-part or 2 2-part melodies as well as composing a backing track for 1 piece for you to perform on any instrument or voice.
    Also if you do music technology as 25% of your exam result, you cannot play 2 pieces on 2 other instruments for the other 25% of your practical, it must be 4 pieces on one instrument (and possibly 1 piece on 4 separate instruments) afaik.

Advertisement