Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT should be yearly?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dshamrock2000

I think yearly is a bit harsh for 10 year old cars but again it all depends on the mileage being done on a car etc etc etc, there's too many variables for just picking 10 years. I have a 24 year old car and i'm quiet happy with the yearly test for that, considering I want to keep it in tip top for ever then the nct is water off a ducks back. but on my other cars both 5 yrs old i'd be more inclined to sell them at 9 or 10 yrs old to avoid 3 nct's a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Twin-go wrote: »

You bring your car in for a service and if they find a fail point they fix it for you.

And you don't find any issues which this might cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

And you don't find any issues which this might cause?

No I trust my mechanic.
    Also, Government can do regular "mistery Shopper" type assesments and garage doing anything illegal would be fined and removed as an approved service/NCT centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭JP 1800

My 2cents:

Get rid of the NCT testing centers. Have cars tested at approved service centres.
    You bring your car in for a service and if they find a fail point they fix it for you. After the service/test you are giving your NCT cert valid for a year.
    High milers will get the car serviced more regulary and will have a more up
    to date NCT. Low milers will be certified at their annual service.

That is the MOT system, the idea of a yearly test for 10 year old cars is that vital components such as suspension and rubber bushings are more likely to be worn out at this stage but the cynic in me thinks they just want us all to buy new cars $$$$$$

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

My 2cents:

Get rid of the NCT testing centers. Have cars tested at approved service centres.
    You bring your car in for a service and if they find a fail point they fix it for you. After the service/test you are giving your NCT cert valid for a year.
    High milers will get the car serviced more regulary and will have a more up
    to date NCT. Low milers will be certified at their annual service.

OK, but people will wonder why, every year, they will need new brake discs, pads, complete exhausts, new headlight units, new injectors, new injector pumps and so on.
    NCT centers have nothing to gain from failing your car on expensive items, at least compared to commercial garages, that do.
    Just leaves the door wiiide open to rip-off, cars being passed for mates and maybe even serious faults overlooked because the apprentice was given the job while everyone else was busy.
    No thanks, I prefer the present system, maybe it's not perfect, but it's miles better than something that just has dodgy written all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

MugMugs wrote: »
    Dont be bitter. This forum is too small for that :)

Ah well, I'll get over it Im sure, put my best foot forward and all that. I still know at the back of my mind I was wronged by NCTS but as I say lifes too short:rolleyes:

How am I meant to know my Steering Rack is beyond it's best ?

I self service my motors most of the time. If she drives any different then it's off to Mr T to take a look and let me know the story.

A 76 year old woman will know her Micra isn't acting quite right just as well as a 25 year old lad will know his Civic isn't acting quite right.

Legally, the 76 year old should be checking lights, mirrors, tyres, washer fluid and Daniel O Donnell CD's for each journey.

If she is unable to do it, Don't drive the car.

Where would this all end ? Annual NCT ? Then every six months. Then every month.....

Great that you service your car most of the time and it would seem that you keep it well maintained. Likewise I do too, leaving the more professional jobs to the garage. But its important to remember that not everybody is that mechanically minded or just do not have the time or the interest. Remember too that something can be wrong with a car which is not always immediately apparent but dangerous all the same, which I'm sure your already aware?

There is an onus on the 76 year old to ensure her lights, tyres, wipers, washer fluid, mirrors are all a ok. I don't believe this onus extends to her jacking up the car and checking brake hoses, exhaust hangers, bushings, steering racks etc etc. If its apparent that there is an issue with such an item and she continues to drive the car shame on her but it may not always be apparent. This I believe is the function of NCTS or at least should be. To complement your own periodic repairs and maintenance whether you do it yourself or garage/ friend/ family member etc. Do bear in mind too though that there will always be people who will skimp or avoid such maintenance...that'll always just be a fact of life we need to deal with

I do feel that a check on your car every 2 years is not actually often enough. Something dangerous can go wrong with it in the space of a few days never mind 2 years. As I already mentioned people should take responsibility for the upkeep of their veichles. If they can't do so themselves get somebody competent to do so. But if NCTS are missing serious flaws when theyre doing their checks, well that just ain't good enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

There is an onus on the 76 year old to ensure her lights, tyres, wipers, washer fluid, mirrors are all a ok.

They don't need to check all these things or do an NCT. All they need is a St. Anthony medal and a Padre Pio sticker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

They don't need to check all these things or do an NCT. All they need is a St. Anthony medal and a Padre Pio sticker.

And the holy water in the glove box
    I do feel that a check on your car every 2 years is not actually often enough. Something dangerous can go wrong with it in the space of a few days never mind 2 years. As I already mentioned people should take responsibility for the upkeep of their veichles. If they can't do so themselves get somebody competent to do so. But if NCTS are missing serious flaws when theyre doing their checks, well that just ain't good enough.

I'd be a bit pi$$ed if I had to annually NCT my motor which is very well maintained (abeit a dodgy offside tyre) because of those who dont really care about theirs.

And as you have said, They could roll out of the NCT and develop a critical problem 4 miles down the road....

I know prevention is the best method but tbh, Having to NCT a 4 year old car onward annually would REALLY hack me off.

In fact, my brothers 00 Passat which drives just as it did when he got it 11 years ago and is maintained just as well as it was 11 years ago (which was very well) has to undergo yearly NCT's and that REALLY gets my goat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I agree, its just another tax for the 'poor' who has to pay it on their 10 year old car at the moment.

Let the other people who can afford a newer car pay it yearly too.

Its nothing to do with safety anyhow, no matter what they blab on about on the news.

If it was about safety, then cars pre 1980 should have to get it done too.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

while were giving out about the nct one thing that bothers me is that the test is from the anniversary of the car. I bought a car yesterday with an expired test and if i tested it now i'd have to spend another 50 euro 5 months later.
    Also if i was selling a car i would like to have a brand new test for the new owner and then that'd be valid for the year.
    Is there any benefit to the test being on the birthday of the car (except to clog the system up during the early months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I'd be a bit pi$$ed if I had to annually NCT my motor which is very well maintained (abeit a dodgy offside tyre) because of those who dont really care about theirs.

And as you have said, They could roll out of the NCT and develop a critical problem 4 miles down the road....

I know prevention is the best method but tbh, Having to NCT a 4 year old car onward annually would REALLY hack me off.

In fact, my brothers 00 Passat which drives just as it did when he got it 11 years ago and is maintained just as well as it was 11 years ago (which was very well) has to undergo yearly NCT's and that REALLY gets my goat.

Much agreed and can see why you would be annoyed. However, its unfortunate that your committment to maintaining your car to a high standard is cancelled out by those who neglect maintaining their cars (from the point of view of needing to do NCT's anyway).

For the cars 10 years old and older such as your brothers which are maintained to the nth degree I'm sure there are at least as many cars less than 10 years old where servicing and routine maintenance is very much neglected. For this reason alone I feel that extending the rule of yearly NCT test to cars 10 years old and older alone is a flawed one (not that I'm endorsing a rule of yearly NCT per se).

Its a debate which is somewhat removed from the initial point I was making in the thread. My original point was that if NCTS applied a bit more common sense. Failed cars for potentially serious flaws (which I have seen and heard of them passing) and stopped failing cars for stupid reasons that do not compromise the veichle (again which I've experience off). That along with calibrating their equipment properly or more often as the case may be. Then they just might gain a hugh wallop more respect from the public

Advertisement