Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rupture- SSFIV:AE Tournament 15/10/11 in 091Labs, Eyre Square, Galway City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Still working out all the rules in my head (this is my first time running a tourney, so I'm really just getting my feet on the ground here). I've been mooching through the rules of other tournament thread. Gonna play it the same way as those. Also, anyone caught breaking rules will be taken outside and dragon punched :P

I'd also appreciate any input and pointers in the right direction with this. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

deathrider wrote: »
    I'd also appreciate any input and pointers in the right direction with this. Thanks.

Dublin standard here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74359519&postcount=1

Some places do stuff slightly differently. Like the Belfast lads do best 3 out of 5 for Finals only, don't ban Blanka alt 3 and have no documented problems with white tracksuits.

Most of the rules don't usually come up to be honest, they're just there in case. I've never seen anyone actually wish to disqualify their opponent for accidental pausing; or request a double blind pick or disagree on a stage/side of the TV.

Most important rules are really just how many games you need to win to advance, if it's double or single elim, and the rules on counter-picking:
    4. Players can change characters in each round of the double elimination phase. However once a match has started they may only change characters in a match after loosing a set. The winner of the first set must stick to his character he started the set with and may only change if he looses the second set, in which case the winner of the second set must then stick to the character he used in the second set.

Dublin standard here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74359519&postcount=1

Some places do stuff slightly differently. Like the Belfast lads do best 3 out of 5 for Finals only, don't ban Blanka alt 3 and have no documented problems with white tracksuits.

Most of the rules don't usually come up to be honest, they're just there in case. I've never seen anyone actually wish to disqualify their opponent for accidental pausing; or request a double blind pick or disagree on a stage/side of the TV.

Most important rules are really just how many games you need to win to advance, if it's double or single elim, and the rules on counter-picking:

All seems fair enough there. Though the tracksuit things makes it sound more like running a nightclub than a SF tournament. The big question I have there is- what exactly is Blankas alt 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

All seems fair enough there. Though the tracksuit things makes it sound more like running a nightclub than a SF tournament. The big question I have there is- what exactly is Blankas alt 3?

This is his alt 3 and its terrible.

1524466-blanka_alt_artwork_super.jpg

Looks pretty but in play it just annoying. I believe there is a neon version of it as well - which makes it even worse.

Why is it often banned though? I'm taking it that it's makes no difference to his actual play-style?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Why is it often banned though? I'm taking it that it's makes no difference to his actual play-style?

It can throw opponents of on spacing and hit boxes. It does for me anyway.

ayjayirl wrote: »
    It can throw opponents of on spacing and hit boxes. It does for me anyway.

That's completely understandable. I've no problems using the rule against that costume though... Not to mention that is looks stupid too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Just to clarify some of the rules:

Stages are important to some people, especially as the odd stage (mainly the volcano) causes trouble for colour blind people. Often they can't see the health bars.

Also, stages are different sizes, so technically someone who plays lame could pick a wider stage to his hearts content.

Blankas alt 3 isn't just distracting to me, it actually makes it difficult to imagine where his hitbox would be, especially when he balls. I think it's one of the best local rules.

I have actually had a couple of occasions where I didn't take a round but I had to threaten someone with it. I won't name names but in a team tournament an opponent was losing to my partner pressed start twice when my partner had wake up advantage, ruining his timing. He beat my team mate and as I sat down I told him I would absolutely take the round from him if it happened to me. Weirdly enough, his problem with pressing start disappeared, and we won that fight. there's been other occasions where people who are used to playing online would (genuinely) hit start when being comboed because they'd do it to no effect. It's imortant to get out of that habit :)

Lastly, and obviously most importantly, when you've spent all day wandering around town because Chunkis insists on wearing white tracksuits and no where will let him in, you'll learn the value of that rule :D

Basically, they all cover rare but neessary eventualities. I'd just copy inferno's rule set whole.

Fair points, man. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ogiekeaney

Just to clarify some of the rules:

Stages are important to some people, especially as the odd stage (mainly the volcano) causes trouble for colour blind people. Often they can't see the health bars.

Also, stages are different sizes, so technically someone who plays lame could pick a wider stage to his hearts content.

Blankas alt 3 isn't just distracting to me, it actually makes it difficult to imagine where his hitbox would be, especially when he balls. I think it's one of the best local rules.

I have actually had a couple of occasions where I didn't take a round but I had to threaten someone with it. I won't name names but in a team tournament an opponent was losing to my partner pressed start twice when my partner had wake up advantage, ruining his timing. He beat my team mate and as I sat down I told him I would absolutely take the round from him if it happened to me. Weirdly enough, his problem with pressing start disappeared, and we won that fight. there's been other occasions where people who are used to playing online would (genuinely) hit start when being comboed because they'd do it to no effect. It's imortant to get out of that habit :)

Lastly, and obviously most importantly, when you've spent all day wandering around town because Chunkis insists on wearing white tracksuits and no where will let him in, you'll learn the value of that rule :D

Basically, they all cover rare but neessary eventualities. I'd just copy inferno's rule set whole.

All fair points. I actually have a bad habit of mashing on start when I get ultra'd. I'd personally consider it bad form to take a round if someone inadvertantly pressed the start button, but its a good rule to have just in case someone is being a nob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

ogiekeaney wrote: »
    All fair points. I actually have a bad habit of mashing on start when I get ultra'd. I'd personally consider it bad form to take a round if someone inadvertantly pressed the start button, but its a good rule to have just in case someone is being a nob.

Most people won't care if the game is accidentally paused during an Ultra animation, but if someone paused during a round while playing me, I'd take the round.

Most people won't care if the game is accidentally paused during an Ultra animation, but if someone paused during a round while playing me, I'd take the round.

Yeah I always let that go. However in the situation I was talking about one pause was just after a hard knockdown leading into a mix up.

Looks like I'll need one more copy of AE for this. Can anyone help out by bringing it along?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Looks like I'll need one more copy of AE for this. Can anyone help out by bringing it along?

What equipment do you currently have?

TVs, Xboxs, and SFs. I believe I'm one copy of the game short (I'm including those who already said they are bringing them in my count). As I've mentioned to you already, I wouldn't say no to anybody willing to bring more joypads too.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The white track suit thing is a joke rule.

The rest are basically just a copy of rules used in most international tournaments.

All stages are fine. If I was playing a person who had vision issues or was color blind then I would not mind what stage was picked. But stages should never be banned just because they annoy people. I'm also of the same opinion on Blanka's alt 3 costume, which is another joke rule.

If anything one of Cody's costumes has a glitch that actually effects gameplay and should be banned until a patch addresses it.

Sorry guys, somethings come up this weekend, can't travel down to Galway. Kinda gutted :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hey Deathrider,
    How many confirmed names have you? I might be able to attend.

Well there seems to be a few lads heading from here, and there also seems to be a bit of hype (no pun intended) around the around the colleges, so I'm expecting an alright crowd, but I couldn't tell you the solid numbers because I won't really know untill the day. There should be plenty of room for ya, if you want in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Due to the grads one of my assessments has been pushed forward to next week making 3 in four days so I can't justify losing the whole of Saturday for this :(

Best of luck with it and hope to see you at the next one.:)

• Advertisement

Sorry guys, somethings come up this weekend, can't travel down to Galway. Kinda gutted :(
    mackg wrote: »
    Due to the grads one of my assessments has been pushed forward to next week making 3 in four days so I can't justify losing the whole of Saturday for this :(

Best of luck with it and hope to see you at the next one.:)

Ah, that's a pity, lads. Not to worry though. With a little luck this could be the first of a few tournies like this (if all goes well), so maybe next time around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Shokashi

ok we have the start time of the event ( 1 in the afternoon ) but knowing how many people turn up i might need to know the estimated time of the event ending. i only ask because i am making my way from cork to galway and the last bus from galway to cork Via citylink is at 18:30
    don't get me wrong, i could ask some random family member who lives in galway to let me crash the night but i would rather avoid the long hassle,

i am sure i am not the only one who would like to know this information at question.
    thanks

Ah, that's a pity, lads. Not to worry though. With a little luck this could be the first of a few tournies like this (if all goes well), so maybe next time around :)

I'd really like to attend one, this just came down to bad luck.

this always happens though, don't get disheartened :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Shokashi wrote: »
    ok we have the start time of the event ( 1 in the afternoon ) but knowing how many people turn up i might need to know the estimated time of the event ending. i only ask because i am making my way from cork to galway and the last bus from galway to cork Via citylink is at 18:30

I wouldn't be worried.
    Tempest starts at 13:00/13:30ish and we're done with the main tournament by about 16:00/17:00 every time. And we take our sweet time running Tempest - if I took away that casuals machine and was properly pushing for time we'd be out in 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Doom is constant disappointment.

Shokashi wrote: »
    don't get me wrong, i could ask some random family member who lives in galway to let me crash the night but i would rather avoid the long hassle,

i am sure i am not the only one who would like to know this information at question.
    thanks

Honestly, I couldn't tell you, man. I haven't run one of these before, and I'm not sure how many people will be attending, so I don't know how long it will run.
    Sairus wrote: »
    I wouldn't be worried.
    Tempest starts at 13:00/13:30ish and we're done with the main tournament by about 16:00/17:00 every time. And we take our sweet time running Tempest - if I took away that casuals machine and was properly pushing for time we'd be out in 3 hours.

If it works out to this effect, then that would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Shokashi

booked the ticket and now all that is left is to make my way there, i should be there by 12:30 ish

any other cork lads catching the citylink?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 CavemanFurby

I'm in Galway already, should be in to 091 place by 12-12 30ish! Enough time for some casuals before the tournament begins hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Working today so couldn't make it, but I hope everything goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

1. Mairj9
    2. Sairus
    3. Showkasi
    4. Ogie
    5. Pernelf
    6. Karl
    7. Niall
    7. Jim

13 showed up with another 4 spectators. Decent crowd for first go. I placed \o/

Advertisement