Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps nest - rented house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

subway wrote: »
    i
    i disagree that the tenant is "slapping them with a bill", its work that needed to be done immediately and the LL was not around for a few days. that is, ..

Yes it turned out that way, but if you read the opening post it reads as we had an issue the landlord didnt answer the phone the first time we called so we went and called somebody to sort it immediatly.

Now there is no way that can be accepted as reasonable and although off topic encouraging this kind of action by paying up without at least taking issue to the tennants actions (if determined to be the landlords issue) to me encourages this kind of behaviour which at the very least is a bad idea on the landlords part.

whats next a phone call with a bill for a few hundred quid for a new cooker or something else becasue they didnt answer the phone first time ?

iguana wrote: »
    They do if it's a safety issue which a kitchen full of wasps is. A landlord can't expect a tenant to endanger themselves or their family for any reason and if they are not contactable in an emergency it doesn't give them a justifiable excuse to shirk their financial duties.

again I revert back to my previous comment. We only have the tennants perspective that it was s safety issue. For all we know there were 5 wasps flying around and its been totally exagerated.

Probably not but we dont know the exact facts. nor does the landlord as the tennant didnt give him the chance to appraise the issue for himself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

D3PO wrote: »
    Yes it turned out that way, but if you read the opening post it reads as we had an issue the landlord didnt answer the phone the first time we called so we went and called somebody to sort it immediatly.

Now there is no way that can be accepted as reasonable and although off topic encouraging this kind of action by paying up without at least taking issue to the tennants actions (if determined to be the landlords issue) to me encourages this kind of behaviour which at the very least is a bad idea on the landlords part.

whats next a phone call with a bill for a few hundred quid for a new cooker or something else becasue they didnt answer the phone first time ?

Are you being deliberately obtuse? It was an emergency safety issue. The tenant was well within her rights to get it sorted as soon as possible.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

again I revert back to my previous comment. We only have the tennants perspective that it was s safety issue. For all we know there were 5 wasps flying around and its been totally exagerated.

Probably not but we dont know the exact facts. nor does the landlord as the tennant didnt give him the chance to appraise the issue for himself.

We on the boards only have that proof. However, as I already pointed out, the OP does have an independent professional witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

They do if it's a safety issue which a kitchen full of wasps is. A landlord can't expect a tenant to endanger themselves or their family for any reason and if they are not contactable in an emergency it doesn't give them a justifiable excuse to shirk their financial duties.

But at the same time, the tenant may have ignored signs previous to the "swarm". ie if the nest was in the garden and they failed to notify the landlord and they left the window open for the wasps to enter the house.

We're all going around in circles with only one side of the story here. The tenant couldn't get hold of the landlord but fails to mention how many times they tried to get hold of her. If it was an emergency I would be continually pressing redial and have the landlord see 20 missed calls on the phone to indicate that it is in fact an emergency. I know if my OH misses a call from a tenant he calls them back but it might not be straight away depending on what he's doing. But if he saw 20 missed calls it's obvious it's an emergency and returns the calls straight away.

While it may be an emergency from the tenants point of view, the landlord may feel hard done by due to what they may perceive as lack of communication.

• Advertisement

We on the boards only have that proof. However, as I already pointed out, the OP does have an independent professional witness.

In fairness if it wasnt a safety issue do you honestly think this guy is going to say that ?

Yes mr landlord it wasnt an emergency and really I didnt need to do anything but heck I decided to to make a few quid.

Come on lets be real here thats never going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

if there was a wasps nest that had to be removed, its a safety issue.
    regardless of whether 1 or 100 of the little bastards was out and about at any particular moment, there is nothing safe about a wasp nest, especially with a young child about.
    go onto youtube to see wasp nest behavior examples

the landlord should use the opportunity to discuss how to handle potential issues in future but should not try to shirk repsonsibilities that come under their jurisdiction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

This is the crux of an earlier question I asked. Its now the end of September. I find it inconcievable that there would be no visible indication of a nest until now.

and this is the crux of obviously not being able to read other posters comments. please find answer in my last post, in short here again:

wasps nests are most of the time not very noticable in summertime.

what's your point taking part in a discussion/thread if you're not even reading and digesting other peoples valid points.
    Is it for heavens sake to be in the right, or what. very unconstructive and irresponsible advices you give.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

subway wrote: »
    i
    i disagree that the tenant is "slapping them with a bill", its work that needed to be done immediately and the LL was not around for a few days. that is, ..

to me you sound a very suspicious person regardless what any issue may arise,i think you don't even trust your own shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tevion

I doubt the kitchen was 'full' of wasps.
    How many was there when you noticed?
    The sensible thing to do, close doors/windows and not allow any more in, and just kill the ones that already got it.
    Problem solved temporarily until contact made with landlord, before calling anyone in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OK guys, lets not hog the thread and lets wait for the OP to provide more information.

I would consider such a situation to require urgent attention (within hours), not emergency attention (within minutes).

It would have been prudent for the OP to have made more than one attempt at contact the landlord.

As to who pays, I think that may be down to the facts of the situation.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    to me you sound a very suspicious person regardless what any issue may arise,i think you don't even trust your own shadow.

No Im not a particularly suspicious person BUT if were in business which is what a landlord is I'm going to ensure Im protecting my interests.

At a more fundamental level than this specific issue allowing and accepting a tennant go and get somebody in to do work without approval and then provide you with a bill is not protecting your interests and is not a prudent approch regardless of the legitimacy of the claim.

And despite how suspicious you think I am your nieve in the extreme if you think there are no tennants out there that scam their landlords. Maybe there hasnt been an example on here of what I have suggested but there are many threads where tennants have pulled a fast one on here. Dont judge everybody by your moral standards becasue unfortunatly there are many uncrupulous, lowlifes out there that are tennants. (generalisation and not directed at the OP)

tara73 wrote: »
    and this is the crux of obviously not being able to read other posters comments. please find answer in my last post, in short here again:

wasps nests are most of the time not very noticable in summertime.

what's your point taking part in a discussion/thread if you're not even reading and digesting other peoples valid points.
    Is it for heavens sake to be in the right, or what. very unconstructive and irresponsible advices you give.

Firstly regarding your bolded statement. Says who ? Unless your qualified in the area of waspkeeping dont post your opinion as if it were fact.

as for the rest Ive read peoples points that doesnt mean I have to agree with them. The same way you dont have to agree with me. Every debate has to have two sides otherwise its not a debate. Your the one clearly not reading my comments.

So let me break down my basic position on the OP's post for you.

A) Is the tennant or landlord responsible for the removal of a wasps nest ?

To be determined nobody on here can or has definitively pointed to anything that would answer this. So from the perspective of that question my judgement is reserved.

B) Is it acceptable for a tennant to make one phone call to a landlord not get a response and then immediatly take action that incures expense without agreement to do so.

No absolutly not and insane for anybody to think that a tennant has the rights to do this.

My position on this thread is based on B and regardless of weather you agree with it or not its a valid reason to take a position on the OP's opening question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/disputes_between_landlords_and_tenants.html
    If there are serious problems that could affect the health or safety of tenants, such as vermin, problems with water, sewage or electrical or structural problems, you can contact the Environmental Health Officer at your local authority.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72868167

in all honesty, cant find much other than the 2 above. someone needs to call threshold and settle this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Liv09 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I couldn't wait any longer. The kitchen was covered in them and also due to the fact that I have an ten month old, I wasn't gonna wait till the next day or worse still till after the weekend. She didn't even phone me back, I had to call her today.

@D3P0

jesus, why don't you better go to the conspiracy forum and let out your suspicion there, absolutely no need here.
    if you can't believe what other people state where's the point in taking part in a thread. you can start doubting anything what anybody claims here.

again, you don't seem to be able to read (see quote above from posters answer). He/she answered straight away the kitchen was covered in wasps, he called the landlord last friday and didn't get an answer until he posted here, which was monday.
    so again, what's your point?

this is my last comment regarding this as it doesn't matter what somebody writes as you doubt it anyway and don't take anything on board.

and sorry, bit lame here on the mods I have to say...

@D3P0

jesus, why don't you better go to the conspiracy forum and let out your suspicion there, absolutely no need here.
    if you can't believe what other people state where's the point in taking part in a thread. you can start doubting anything what anybody claims here.

again, you don't seem to be able to read (see quote above from posters answer). He/she answered straight away the kitchen was covered in wasps, he called the landlord last friday and didn't get an answer until he posted here, which was monday.

this is my last comment regarding this as it doesn't matter what somebody writes as you doubt it anyway and don't take anything on board.

I can read. Im sorry if you cant understand a basic concept but Im happy to spell things out for you.

I do not in any way shape or form believe the OP is lying that there were wasps in the kitchen. What I do not accept not should I have to that there hasnt been an exageration. People are prone to exageration its human nature.

My point in taking part in the thread is to debate the details and provide my perspective on the thread in a balanced manner. I disagree with your position and have responded accordingly, if your not willing to accept others will have a different opinion than you then debating is probably somethign you shouldnt do.

You think I should join the conspiracy forum equally I think they should create a yes forum for you. So that you can talk to people that only agree with what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

@D3P0

I can read. Im sorry if you cant understand a basic concept but Im happy to spell things out for you.

I do not in any way shape or form believe the OP is lying that there were wasps in the kitchen. What I do not accept not should I have to that there hasnt been an exageration. People are prone to exageration its human nature.

My point in taking part in the thread is to debate the details and provide my perspective on the thread in a balanced manner. I disagree with your position and have responded accordingly, if your not willing to accept others will have a different opinion than you then debating is probably somethign you shouldnt do.

You think I should join the conspiracy forum equally I think they should create a yes forum for you. So that you can talk to people that only agree with what you say.
    you believe the op ok.so why continue post a conspiracy theory?
    one thing to i am not naive either,plus i would have ensured my tenant was trustworthy before letting him occupy my property.
    a good tenant is vital,so is a trustworthy one.and one i would not question in such circumstances.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    you believe the op ok.so why continue post a conspiracy theory?
    one thing to i am not naive either,plus i would have ensured my tenant was trustworthy before letting him occupy my property.
    a good tenant is vital,so is a trustworthy one.and one i would not question in such circumstances.

Look this is frankly bluster. Nobody can ensure a tenant is trustworthy you can use a certain level of nous to identify if they are likely to be trustworthy but nobody can 100 % for certain say their tenant won cause them issues

Advertisement