Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peanut butter and Jelly Sandwiches

• 26-09-2011 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Have you had one? Has every American had one? What are they like? What exactly is in them, ie do u use butter and regular jam?

I'm gonna make some.

I wish I knew everything.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i remember i liked them as a child, but for the life of me I can't imagine why

scared to try one now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yeah my American Girrlfriend turned me on to them, Smooth peanut butter and strawberry jam on white bread is amazing :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

puke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes, they are absolutely awesome, don't forget the obligatory pint of ice cold milk.

Throw in the odd banana for good measure, but PB&J on it's own is perfection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Peanut butter on one slice, grape jam on the other. It's quite nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bitter->butter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I love peanut butter and jelly on toast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

It's called jam America. Jam.

Buffoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Had a PBnJ Pancake on Pancake Tuesday.

It was the stuff of legend.

Much better then lemon & sugar. Who the feck thought of that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BrianJD

http://m.wikihow.com/Make-a-Peanut-Butter-and-Jelly-Sandwich

I love the detail this goes into. Look at the dangers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Yeah my American Girrlfriend turned me on to them, Smooth peanut butter and strawberry jam on white bread is amazing :cool:

Perv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

BrianJD wrote: »
    Have you had one? Has every American had one? What are they like? What exactly is in them, ie do u use butter and regular jam?

I'm gonna make some.

I wish I knew everything.

ohhhh just lovely! Its peanut butter & jam no butter :eek:

BrianJD wrote: »
    Perv.
    It gets a bit sticky so you need to wash it as soon as possible :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Pea nutbutter is fvcking rank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Didn't Elvis deep fry his pb&j?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

peanut butter and banana on toast is totally awesome dude.

havent tried jelly yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Yum, had one every single day of my school life - no other sandwich exists.
    You need jam with no bits in = jelly. In the States you can buy peanut butter in a tub with stripes of jelly through it, just to make life that bit easier:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

Peanut butter and raspberry jam on brown bread. delicious :)

cml387 wrote: »
    Yes he did, and its gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Yes he did, and its gorgeous.

Is it battered,or does it go in the fat "au natural"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches are so good... especially with a glass of milk! I prefer strawberry jelly over grape, though. And chunky peanut butter! Peanut butter and banana is also pretty good. In all honesty, the peanut butter you can buy in Ireland is crap. You need the classics like Jif or Peter Pan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Since I started making peanut butter, banana and honey toasties for my kids, I've become quite addicted to them myself. Excellent mid morning snack.

it's peanut butter and jam, damnit! Peanut butter and jelly sounds foul and rubbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Peanut butter is impossible to spread on bread without tearing the sh!t out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

It's called jam America. Jam.

Buffoons.

No, it's not. Americans use Jelly - it is a clear settled juice of the fruit without the fruit. Not like jam which has the fruit also.

Peanut butter and jelly is traditionally peanut butter with clear dark grape jelly. Lived there for years - never got to like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I like thick soft white bread with a generous layer of chunky peanut butter and a thin layer of raspberry jam. Nom nom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Peanut butter is impossible to spread on bread without tearing the sh!t out of it.

Heat it up a little?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

It is really delicious but hugely calorific. Try to get jelly instead of regular jam, ie no fruit lumps or pips...:)

• Advertisement

MarchDub wrote: »
    No, it's not. Americans use Jelly - it is a clear settled juice of the fruit without the fruit. Not like jam which has the fruit also.

Peanut butter and jelly is traditionally peanut butter with clear dark grape jelly. Lived there for years - never got to like it.

Ah yeah, seedless jam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I had one, once. Some early hour at a house party when everything that resembled food was gone, other than peanut butter (which I hadn't tasted since I was a child - and I didn't like it at the time), strawberry jam, and some bread in the freezer which I painstakingly defrosted in the microwave and then cooled in the freezer. It took about an hour to make, but the results were frigging amazing!!!

An alternative that I've discovered since is cheese and honey on toasted bread. C&HTB sandwich. Couldn't recommend it more strongly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Ah yeah, seedless jam

No, not quite - it's completely clear, without fruit either, seedless or otherwise. I saw it being made a few times in rural farms where they make their own - the juice is strained off and the fruit is set aside and used for something else like pies. The jelly is made only from the juice. Jam is made from the fruit and the juice.

MarchDub wrote: »
    No, not quite - it's completely clear, without fruit either, seedless or otherwise. I saw it being made a few times in rural farms where they make their own - the juice is strained off and the fruit is set aside and used for something else like pies. The jelly is made only from the juice. Jam is made from the fruit and the juice.

I accept defeat sir, your knowledge of preserves is far superior to mine.

But they still spell colour wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I love Peanut Butter and Jam sandwiches. I never liked peanuts or peanut butter until around a year ago, but I can't get enough of them now.

The Smooth American Style Peanut Butter from Lidl is my favourite, with a little Strawberry Jam and butter on the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Sounds disgusting, but I'm always open to trying new things so I'm off to make one .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

An american friend brought me Welchs Grape Jam which he claims is the only jelly to have on one of these, its not my thing really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

xoxyx wrote: »
    I had one, once. Some early hour at a house party when everything that resembled food was gone, other than peanut butter (which I hadn't tasted since I was a child - and I didn't like it at the time), strawberry jam, and some bread in the freezer which I painstakingly defrosted in the microwave and then cooled in the freezer. It took about an hour to make, but the results were frigging amazing!!!

An alternative that I've discovered since is cheese and honey on toasted bread. C&HTB sandwich. Couldn't recommend it more strongly.

Would you not just have toasted the bread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Sliced cheese and jam sandwiches are where it's at!

One of those combinations that you'd think wouldn't work but they so do.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Ate it all the time as a kid. Peanut butter + Chocolate spread too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Peanut butter is almost impossible to eat without a light topping of jam or jelly or honey. Toast with the above combination. Or brown soda bread. Yum.

• Advertisement

It was f***ing gorgeous!! I was obviously a deprived child i only got sugar sandwiches:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Was that your first peanut butter sandwich or just your first time putting jam/jelly with it? What way did you enjoy peanut butter before, seeing as you have it in your house?

peanut butter and jam sandwiches are LOVELY

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pinkhop

Peanut butter and honey is the nicest!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

I love peanut butter and jam, tesco have a delicious one with no sugar, just delicious salty goodness. I have it on brown toast every morning, it is high in calories but its good fat.

I thought pb&j sounded gross but was talking on an american forum about a year ago and people were on about them so said id try it, delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

cml387 wrote: »

Have some of that!

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Was that your first peanut butter sandwich or just your first time putting jam/jelly with it? What way did you enjoy peanut butter before, seeing as you have it in your house?

Never liked peanut butter until recently, noticed it on special offer in the local so picked it up and slap it on rich tea biscuits ..yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Laserhead

Tesco chunky peanut butter, bon maman strawberry jam on a hot slice of toast.

Om nom nom...

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

Peanut butter and jelly is akin to our ham sandwich Stateside, the staple school lunch. Never heard it called 'jam' in all the years there.

Our eldest child, an American, can't get enough of them. The rest of us wouldn't touch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Peanut butter... The butter of gods.

Peanut butter & ham sambos kept me going in school for 15 years..

Peanut butter & cucumber is good as well :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement