Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderating moderaters

Options
  • 26-09-2011 6:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I will not point out any names and i will not say every mod is like this, but over my time here i have noticed mod,s who dont exactly do their job by the book, and base their decisions on personal feeling.

I have seen others and personally been, warned for somthing dozens of people have done in the same thread.

I would like a way to easily dispute a moderaters ruling and have a superior look at it and give a logical decision over the disagreement within an hour or two.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

I would also like the mod to hav to state the rule and how the member has supposedly breached it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

And this is why boards don't use robots as moderators.

It's called discretion. Some people choose to use it. Not all decisions are black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

So post in the dispute resolution forum

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Or admin forum. Admins are the mods for the mods.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

denballs wrote: »
    I will not point out any names and i will not say every mod is like this, but over my time here i have noticed mod,s who dont exactly do their job by the book, and base their decisions on personal feeling.

I have seen others and personally been, warned for somthing dozens of people have done in the same thread.

If this is something that you feel you have been on the receiving end of, then please post in the Dispute Resolution forum. If it's an issue involving other posters then it's up to them to fight their own battles.
    I would like a way to easily dispute a moderaters ruling and have a superior look at it and give a logical decision over the disagreement within an hour or two.

All mods, CMods and admins are volunteers, and consequently have lives outside of Boards. To expect a resolution to a dispute within an hour or two is unrealistic and effectively turns their voluntary activities into a job. While we would attempt to ensure that all disputes are resolved in a timely manner, putting a time limit on it is a burden that we are not prepared to impose on those who freely give up their time to ensure that the site runs smoothly.

• Advertisement

well then 24 hours...and posting in a thread complaining about a specific mod will never yield beneficial results.....can you please show me one instance of a boards mod who has been punished or even told they wer wrong in a decision on boards?

well then 24 hours...and posting in a thread complaining about a specific mod will never yield beneficial results.....can you please show me one instance of a boards mod who has been punished or even told they wer wrong in a decision on boards?

We will not be imposing time limits on this sort of thing, if it takes a week to properly resolve a particular dispute, then it takes a week. Rushing it to fit some pre-defined timeframe does everyone involved a disservice.

As regards mod decisions being overturned, just because you've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. However the reason that most mod decisions are upheld is because the decision was correct in the first place. The ability to make judgements that stand up to scrutiny is one of the qualities we look for when appointing a new mod. I'm not saying that it's 100% accurate, but more often than not there are no grounds for overturning the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

can you please show me one instance of a boards mod who has been punished or even told they wer wrong in a decision on boards?
    I definitely can - I don't want to be dragging up the threads though, as it wouldn't be fair on the people in question, some of whom don't mod anymore anyway. I used to moderate and would be told if I did the wrong thing - maybe not in public, but in private most definitely.

There's no mod conspiracy - it may feel that way at times, but the perception is not the reality. Plenty of mods don't get along or back each other up. If it seems like they do, it's only because they know where each other is coming from, not that they're buddies out to gang up on people, or because they feel "duty-bound" to back up their co-mods. I'm not trying to big up modding or anything, but it does give you a totally different perspective to that of when you're a regular user (which every mod once was).

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Take this as an example

The guy/girl made stated an interesting fact and was banned. There is no common sense applied here. I agree with the OP, in situations like this for someone not to apologise for the mistake certainly gives the impression of "us" and "them".

Take this as an example http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056395111

The guy/girl made stated an interesting fact and was banned. There is no common sense applied here. I agree with the OP, in situations like this for someone not to apologise for the mistake certainly gives the impression of "us" and "them".

That thread is ongoing, so using it as an example is not really fair.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Zaph wrote: »
    Yeah fair enough. I just think it would be better all round if some kind of ownership is taken for the errors of judgement. I said apology previously but that is probably taking it a bit too far tbh. I mean if a poster is genuinely playing by the rules and a moderator makes misunderstands something and over-reacts then it'd be nice to see them hold their hands up.

We will not be imposing time limits on this sort of thing, if it takes a week to properly resolve a particular dispute, then it takes a week. Rushing it to fit some pre-defined timeframe does everyone involved a disservice.

As regards mod decisions being overturned, just because you've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. However the reason that most mod decisions are upheld is because the decision was correct in the first place. The ability to make judgements that stand up to scrutiny is one of the qualities we look for when appointing a new mod. I'm not saying that it's 100% accurate, but more often than not there are no grounds for overturning the decision.

im not saying resolve within 24 hours ..im saying respond to a complaint within 24 hours

Dudess wrote: »
    I definitely can - I don't want to be dragging up the threads though, as it wouldn't be fair on the people in question, some of whom don't mod anymore anyway. I used to moderate and would be told if I did the wrong thing - maybe not in public, but in private most definitely.

There's no mod conspiracy - it may feel that way at times, but the perception is not the reality. Plenty of mods don't get along or back each other up. If it seems like they do, it's only because they know where each other is coming from, not that they're buddies out to gang up on people, or because they feel "duty-bound" to back up their co-mods. I'm not trying to big up modding or anything, but it does give you a totally different perspective to that of when you're a regular user (which every mod once was).

.......no proof....

Take this as an example

thank you, perfect example of how a mod has punished a member without breach of any rule, just based on their personal opinion and with which i do not agree.

I have carefully read the entire thread, it looks as if it has go9ne as far as it will go, from what i read the mod was in the wrong and when called on it both he and his superior where both rude and un-helpful.I would almost go as far as to say that they acted like bullies towards the member who tried to stay civil and calm.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Mods have been de-modded, sometimes even banned for specific breaches - These things happen and the specifics won't be advertised.

However, when it comes to day-to-day Moderation, try to respect that there are an endless number of complaints that crop up, some of which may be genuine, most completely over the top and both categories are almost always handled incorrectly by ignoring the DRP or, worse, trying to publicly name-and-shame losing all credit for their own arguement in the process or getting themselves into trouble - You also get threads in Feedback from people who KNOW the procedure but have taken it upon themselves to go against it because they feel going by it will provide pre-determined unsatisfactory results and try to go about it in a 'faster' and always unsuccessful manner - Don't do this, please.

There is absolutely no Mod-Buddy-Stick-Together nonsense - Boards is scattered between so many self-contained communities, each with their own Mods, that they are almost all strangers to eachother. I couldn't even name more than about 6-7 who's names I remember - If I see someone taking the piss, I really won't care what title they have under their name, Poster, Mod, even an Admin, it gets reported or brought to attention if there's any indication that said antics are breaching the peace. Anything I'm unsure of gets brought up in the Moderators Forum where, assuming the problem IS with a Mod, they will see I'm complaining and could explain their case in view of our own peers.

In addition, we are only Moderators inside our own respective Forum. If I go to After Hours and take the mick, there really isn't going to be any leeway made for me - There's a lot of Forums under my name but do you think they'll care? Hell no, Public Warning, Private Warning, Ban.

If I take the mick inside my own forums, hell, I'll end up having someone put me under investigation through DRP and be found out in time if the people go about it right - Even then, if I became a Moderator of that Forum through a love of the topic and offering to help, then taking the piss in my own Forums just shows I don't give a damn anymore.

But what consitutes as taking the piss in my own Forum? Making a tough judgement call that doesn't seem to be agreed on by the general public? These things happen, Moderating can be tough, we can't always make a choice that keeps everyone happy... But if it's something obvious, blatant, noticeable and very wrong, report it, get involved in the DRP and you can be sure an Admin will have to look into it and make their own judgement call.

Threads like this won't get overly far - It'll only succeed in re-explaining that the DRP is there to be used for this sort of thing.

First off, in as polite a way possible, get in touch with the CMod of the Forum in question, highlight the issue / report it. If unsatisfied, take it to the DRP for a general investigation - I can assure you if what you are pinpointing really is a big piss take or abuse of power, whatever you want to call it, there will be wrist slaps based on severity.

Being a Mod does not make us immune to us, ourselves, being Moderated - Sadly most of the people looking for justice are often not too patient, or not willing to go about it in the right way.

Be sure to follow the Charter, be sure to keep a record of posts or threads you deem to be foul and be sure to work your way up the chain until that result is gotten.

thank you for such an in depth response, however i dont agree that the system works alot of the time, hence my request for it to be revised

• Registered Users Posts: 83,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have carefully read the entire thread, it looks as if it has go9ne as far as it will go, from what i read the mod was in the wrong and when called on it both he and his superior where both rude and un-helpful.I would almost go as far as to say that they acted like bullies towards the member who tried to stay civil and calm.
    However you have no idea how the situation would have played out, given that it is an ongoing ticket. You can not know for instance if the ban will be overturned.

Not that I think its super-fair to go digging through DRP but can you find a 'resolved' thread which supports your argument?

Until it's marked resolved this dispute remains open and as such I'd appreciate if there was no further speculation about it on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have overturned a number of mods decisions on occasion. I couldn't be bothered digging the threads up, but feel free to do a search on my posts in the Help Desk/DRP forum.

Is the system perfect? Absolutely not.

Do we do our best to resolve matters? Absolutely.

Do we (Admins/Cmods/mods) get it right all the time? I would say not always.

I am going to play the old familiar line that we are all volunteers and imposing any timeframes/limits on things only makes it more like work and less likely for everyone to want to do it.

I am also going to say that we have a series of checks and balances that generally works to keep things ticking along as best we can. If a mod is out of line, we have no problem pulling them up on it. And I also have confidence that if I make a bad call, somebody else will pull me up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Well said,Tom Dunne.

I've worked,and still work on enough forums to know it's far from easy.

And,,who or what is perfect anyway? You can make a decision that pleases,or agrees with 90% of people,but you'll still have that other 10% that don't agree with you,and are not happy. You cannot keep all of the people happy all of the time.

One thing I do disagree with though is on one Thread,is one word that cannot be used.

It's on the satellite Forums. It's a type of decoder..It can and is used by people for 100% legit reasons.

But because it can be "tweaked" and used for illegal reasons,the very mention of it brings a Thread to a halt,and promptly locked.
    While in theory I do agree with this,as it is illegal do discuss it on lots of other Forums,it should be allowed in some context for the users that do use it for it's proper legal use.

I think it's totally unfair to not even allow a proper discussion on it,just because of it's name alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

.......no proof....
    Well then just take my word for it.

Overheal wrote: »
    However you have no idea how the situation would have played out, given that it is an ongoing ticket. You can not know for instance if the ban will be overturned.

Not that I think its super-fair to go digging through DRP but can you find a 'resolved' thread which supports your argument?

obviously you hav,nt even read the thread in question

Until it's marked resolved this dispute remains open and as such I'd appreciate if there was no further speculation about it on this thread.

With all due respect, the thread looks like its caught in a stalemate between a stubborn mod, and a member who simply wants an apology.

I would be happy that if at the next meeting (if boards do them) ...or even in the mod/admin only section...you guys could bring up the question and actively discuss how to improve modding on boards.........i dont want to create a war on mods......i just want somthing that i see as an issue to be looked into, to hopefully benefit both boards and its members.

I think I have made my point and others have had their opportunity to give a response, so to avoid this turning from debate to argument, it should probably be closed soon, however i would still like it viewable and appreciate a response as to my suggestion for a mod only discussion on the matter.

With all due respect, the thread looks like its caught in a stalemate between a stubborn mod, and a member who simply wants an apology.

And with all due respect, you have no knowledge of what is being discussed away from that thread.

obviously you hav,nt even read the thread in question
    Indeed I have not: it's an unresolved dispute and I am not in possession of all the facts, even if I did read it. I have no access to the PM conversations around the dispute and neither do you. Hence why I chose not to pre-judge an unresolved Ticket. No, I did not read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Dudess wrote: »
    Well then just take my word for it.

And mine too.

And with all due respect, you have no knowledge of what is being discussed away from that thread.

i would bet me house that theres nothing going on outside the thread,.......but you are correct i dont know........and is,nt that a problem...it,s a public complaint...in a public thread........why would it need to be resolved secretly......shouldnt it be discussed openly?

Overheal wrote: »
    Indeed I have not: it's an unresolved dispute and I am not in possession of all the facts, even if I did read it. I have no access to the PM conversations around the dispute and neither do you. Hence why I chose not to pre-judge an unresolved Ticket. No, I did not read it.

well as the threads OP started the thread after his ban expired i thought what you said ...(given that it is an ongoing ticket. You can not know for instance if the ban will be overturned.) .....was a bad response to what i was saying.....

I would like others to not comment on things they do not know all the facts or even any basic information about, if they are then going to tell me not to comment on things i dont know all the facts about.

• Advertisement

I would like others to not comment on things they do not know all the facts or even any basic information about, if they are then going to tell me not to comment on things i dont know all the facts about.
    So you could label them a hypocrite?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement