Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robin with a broken leg

• 26-09-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

A robin with a broken leg has been feeding on bird food in our garden...first noticed it in june i think and its still alive!

I am guessing there is nothing that can be done to save its leg... ?

Does anybody have any suggestions or a wish to rescue this robin haha.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is the leg just hanging or is it swollen?
    If it was caught the vet could amputate.
    Many vets will treat wildlife for free.

The stress of being caught and the op might end up with the bird dying so if the bird is otherwise healthy and hopping about and feeding it might be better to leave it as is. You could always ask a couple of vets what you should do or check out wildlifematters.ie

A good idea would be to provide a few robin nest boxes now, just in case the bird needs somewhere safe to nest at night it might use them over winter perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Aaah; a little Robin. : ) poor little thing. Sounds Like you re doing a good job keeping an eye out for her. I like the idea of a little home for her away from cats with lots of straw and fluff and a bigger opening so she can hoppity in without hurting her little leg. Can't you get tasty fat balls for them in Woodies and other places; should keep her going : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Might be an idea to post this question in the Nature and Bird Watching forum , folks there might know a lot more about this situation ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

There was a one legged magpie around my parents house for years. It was semi-tame and used to squawk for food when it seen my Dad. The one leg didn't seem to cause any issues for it

Advertisement