Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Presidential Election Discussion Thread (read post 1)

Options
  • 29-01-2011 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

Ok Folks we've decided to merge the current threads and make one thread, please use this thread for discussion but please don't be soapboxing or posting silly things, like abusing any of the candidates.

Do you feel annoyed that Donegal Co Council are backing Dana? 46 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    71% 33 votes
    undecided
    28% 13 votes
    Do not care
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Is anyone else disgusted that Donegal County Council will meet tomorrow to agree to back Dana as a presidential candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The Council still have to meet, discuss and come to a decision so for now I'll lock this and when we have it as FACT then I'll open it again.

Hot off the press...Donegal County Council have now given their support to Dana. Thread opened again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

muffler wrote: »
    Hot off the press...Donegal County Council have now given their support to Dana. Thread opened again. :)

DCC f*ck off

Dana, as bad as bankers and bailouts are, you as president would be much much worse.

you and your all kinds of everything can f*ck right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

From what the Fiance tells me, DCC seem to choose the absolute worst possible choice in every single thing they do. Would that be accurate?

• Advertisement

danniemcq wrote: »
    DCC f*ck off

Dana, as bad as bankers and bailouts are, you as president would be much much worse.

you and your all kinds of everything can f*ck right off.
    Grow up Danny...maybe take the next few days to consider what you have to offer here.

You can put your points across without the profanities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I cannot understand peoples negativity around Dana. She actually is a very very nice woman.

My OH's relative was involved in a fatal car accident, and Dana actually came and sang our lady of knock at his Funeral. She didn't know him personally or any of the family personally.

The reason she done it was because Darren and 2 of his mates went on the All Ireland Talant show, for a laugh and sang our lady of knock in a rap, it was halarious, Dana thought so too (she was one of the judges) it made a lasting impression on her and 3 years later upon hearing of who was involved in the tradgic accident she offered to sing at his funeral, I thought it was very nice of her, a lovely touch and she consoled al the family / friends / relatives too, it wasn't like she sang and ran.

I have heard lots of nice stories about her, honestly cannot understand some peoples negativity :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Im sure she is a very nice woman.........when she not trying to push her right wing religious agenda.

Just when the country seems to be standing up for itself against the church, the last thing we need is Dana as president with her stuance biggoted opposition to abortion, contraception and divorce. If we (the people of ireland) voted in a referemdom to legalise abortion, would Dana pass it into law?????

Posted on stupid tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Senna wrote: »
    Im sure she is a very nice woman.........when she not trying to push her right wing religious agenda.

Just when the country seems to be standing up for itself against the church, the last thing we need is Dana as president with her stuance biggoted opposition to abortion, contraception and divorce. If we (the people of ireland) voted in a referemdom to legalise abortion, would Dana pass it into law?????

Posted on stupid tablet

Agree with your post in general .. but do you have to be a "religous bigoted right-winger" to oppose abortion?? just asking cos i would consider myself liberal im Catholic but not practising & left-wing.. yet i oppose abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    Agree with your post in general .. but do you have to be a "religous bigoted right-winger" to oppose abortion?? just asking cos i would consider myself liberal im Catholic but not practising & left-wing.. yet i oppose abortion.

Nipping this on the bud before it starts. The topic is "DCC to back Dana" not an abortion discussion, lets stick to that please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

she's a bigoted relic from a bygone age...has no place in irish politics.
    what dcc are doing nominating her ive no idea.

oh yes....ff'ers & the old vote etc...
    she hasnt a chance nationally, hope she gets pummelled and thats the end of her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Had a good oul lol at this.

Read in one of the local papers recently, Cllr Jimmy Harte (I think) explaining that DCC wouldn't be supporting Senator Norris for the Presidency. No, no, there's no agenda, it's just that we'd have to put a motion to the Council and shure it's too late at this stage.

Dana cruises along and lickity split the nomination process is complete and she's on the ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

I think it's just democracy at work, you mightn't like it, but then you can blame the people who voted them in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Can't please all of the people all of the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

An interesting side bar, in the new film version of Tinker Tailor (not all it's cracked up to be) I did laugh out loud when Dana singing All Kinds played in the background at some crucial moment in the mole's Lock house.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

but no, I am not annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

i'm extremely annoyed about it to be honest.

As another poster has mentioned what this country does not need is some right-wing catholic misogynist representing us.

i'm extremely annoyed about it to be honest.

As another poster has mentioned what this country does not need is some right-wing catholic misogynist representing us.
    Has she had a sex change that we aren't aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I think you have all missed the most important point. Her voice is so annoying. If she got elected I could never listen to our president speak. Cringe worthy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I don't see why people are so annoyed. This is the way Presidential nominations work and it's democracy in action. You all now have the opportunity to not vote for her.

(I'll be voting for someone else too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

irish1967 wrote: »
    I think you have all missed the most important point. Her voice is so annoying. If she got elected I could never listen to our president speak. Cringe worthy

same has to be said about Norris!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

muffler wrote: »
    Has she had a sex change that we aren't aware of?

Unfortunately women can be misogynists too. But i know the term is usually used referring to men hating women. :o
    In the broader philosophical sense of the word she is a misogynist.

I don't see why people are so annoyed. This is the way Presidential nominations work and it's democracy in action. You all now have the opportunity to not vote for her.

(I'll be voting for someone else too)

Thanks God that we can vote 'for' people, if we were allowed to vote against candidates my 2 votes would be split as I can't decide who I dislike the most from 3 of the shower that's running

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

I think the Council nomination of Dana is my fault, and people like me. I have never voted in a local election, I just could never take the candidates seriously. As a result the Council is populated by a bunch of wallies who seriously think that little miss 'all kinds of every prejudice' is Presidential material.................shame on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Ok so I’m going to be more eloquent in todays post. I don’t believe Dana would make a good spokesperson for Ireland (as lets be honest that’s all the president really is). She is famous for singing a few songs years ago and being on the telly, that’s it. She has no ability in politics as proven over and over again in her recent past.

The below is stats after she got elected to European Parliament after basing her campaign on as at the time there was a lot of discussion on topics like abortion and divorce which in a very different Ireland was quite important.
    In 2002, Dana contested a seat in Galway West in the Irish general election, again as an independent. She lost, scoring a mere 3.5% of the first preference vote in a general election where Independent candidates performed well. In June 2004, Dana lost her European Parliament seat, taking 13.5% of the vote. Later that year, she failed to secure a nomination to the office of President of Ireland against the uncontested incumbent.

So people realised that she was terrible and it showed in the votes.

So looking at the stats and history or her she really is a poor choice. She might be a lovely woman and really nice and all that, but so is my ma and she’d make a terrible president.

The issue therefore I have with DCC nominating her over another candidate (Norris for example) shows that DCC is completely out of touch with what the people want. With the way the current election system is set in Ireland it is very very awkward and tough to get your name on the ballot paper. So therefore more thought and planning should go into these kind of decisions. It seems to me that DCC are playing it safe. Norris despite the support he is getting nationwide is still a very controversial choice so they go with Dana.

Until the system is changed in Ireland I think that Councils should put a lot more thought into their decisions. I can see how they can’t have a poll asking who would the people like to vote for as this could be open to abuse but with the system broken as it is something has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

On a side note.....is there anyone you can contact to get posters taken down? Theres a horrendous one of Michael D at the killross junction as your heading to ballybofey. It's partially covering the reflective barriers so shouldn't be there, not to mention having to look at his face every morning......

On a side note.....is there anyone you can contact to get posters taken down? Theres a horrendous one of Michael D at the killross junction as your heading to ballybofey. It's partially covering the reflective barriers so shouldn't be there, not to mention having to look at his face every morning......
    The Council roads office in Stranorlar - tel: (074) 9131015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

She hasn't a hope of getting elected. I'm sure she is a nice person on a one to one level, but her "world view" is pretty narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Personally i dont think the council should have the power to do this its not what they were elected for half the canidates are a joke at this stage :mad:

• Advertisement

Really don't know why people are so annoyed at the DCC for doing this; sure Dana has her views that people don't like, the same can be said of most of the other candidates too. The only way they could've kept everyone on here happy is if they didn't back anyone. Not exactly being active democrats; exactly the inaction some people on here are now lamenting...

Advertisement